Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recording playback ended early?

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   liverman

liverman

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:06 AM

All I need is the software # from your 722k's experiencing the problem. If you can post that here I will get that submitted.

Model ID = 722K
Receiver CA ID = R01 1000 0749-58
Software Version = L683RMKD-N <<<-- corrected
Boot Strap Version = 1832RMKD

Recorded "Blue Bloods" from local KKTV via dish on 13 May 2011. Viewing stops with 37:30 remaining. Total time recorded shows 61 min. I still have the episode recorded on my DVR.

This is the second or third time this has happened. Last spring it happend on the season finale. I cussed and forgot about it. It has happened at least one time before that, but I do not recall specifics.

Let me know if you need additional info.

Moderator - If you want to open a specific thread to capture each occurrance of this I'll be happy to re-enter this info.

Thank you.

Greg

Edited by liverman, 16 May 2011 - 09:06 PM.
Corrected SW version

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:22 PM

Seriously, how many times does this have to be reported to get some action? I have several recordings that have ended early if anyone, ANYONE, at Dish would like to investigate. Do these "reports" actually get addressed or go in the file 13?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#103 OFFLINE   liverman

liverman

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

Greg,

L638RMKD-N ??? Is that actually L683RMKD-N? :confused:

Yes. Thanks for catching that!! I am dys-typ-ic :)

Corrected in my original post.

Greg

#104 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

I looked up some info and will get this sent in to our operations dept to do further research into it. All I need is the software # from your 722k's experiencing the problem. If you can post that here I will get that submitted.

Tommy,

It's been 4 months since you posted the above message. What's happening to fix this problem?

I just had another program end about 20 minutes early.

Is this problem going to get fixed or not? If not then please tell me how to get a refund credit for my missed programs.

#105 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

I guess TommyF@DISH Network doesn't give a darn about this problem. But that should be no surprise since no one else at Dish cares.

I was just watching a 2 hour recording & at about the 13 minute point up came the "Playback Over" message.

I called Dish, not expecting any miracles of course. I spoke with a tech who acknowledged the problem, but of course had no idea when it will be fixed.

I called a person at their executive office whom I previously spoke with & left a voice mail message & requested a call back on Tuesday after the holiday. Again, I'm not expecting any real answer.

This is not acceptable, especially since dish has known about this problem for about a year, based on what their executive office previously told me.

#106 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:51 PM

I've been keeping track of how much space/time recordings actually take up on the HDD to see if there is any significant savings if local channels were recorded via the satellite tuner compared to the OTA tuner. Essentially a satellite recording of CBS, NBC, ABC or Fox uses about half the capacity of their OTA recordings. CBS uses the most because it is 1080 & has no sub-channels to use some of the bitrate.

I deleted the two corrupt recordings on my DVR & they fell short of what should have been gained back in recording capacity.

“Chicago Code” from satellite Fox HD stopped with about 22:30 remaining out of 1:04:00, therefore it played about only 41:30. From my data, 1 hr of sat Fox HD takes up an average of 24 mins of recording capacity. “Chicago Code”took up only 16 minutes of capacity. Doing the math this comes up with 40 minutes play time, which pretty closely matches the 41:30 actual playing time as noted above.

“Jesse Stone" from OTA CBS HD stopped with about 2:33:30 remaining out of 2:46:00, therefore it played about only 12:30. From my data, 1 hr of OTA CBS HD takes up an average of 80 mins of recording capacity. "Jesse Stone" took up only 18 minutes of capacity. Doing the math this comes up with 13.5 minutes play time, which pretty closely matches the 12:30 actual playing time as noted above.

What this means is that only partial programs were recorded based on the HD capacity they used. This is despite what "My Recordings" indicate. IOW it is not like the whole recording is there but ended early. It ended early because that's all there was. Or at least the HDD thinks so.

#107 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 571 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

Sorry for getting to this one so late guys.

I did want to let you know that the problem is on our "Known Receiver Issue" list. (sorry if this was already mentioned)

To help get this problem fixed, I need the following information sent to me in a PM from anyone who has had this problem, and is willing:

1) What was the name of the program, what channel was it "recorded" on, and at what time?

2) How long does the recording say it is in the "My Recordings" menu? How long does the event play for before it stops? We're looking for the difference in the times.

3) Is your receiver connected via broadband? If yes, how is it connected (Wireless adapter, direct ethernet, powerline BB connector)?

4) Phone number/account number and receiver's software version

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#108 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:23 AM

To help get this problem fixed, I need the following information sent to me in a PM from anyone who has had this problem, and is willing:

color me skeptical - not an ounce of credibility left to elicit a bigger response out of me

#109 OFFLINE   dturturro

dturturro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:16 PM

I've had this issue with a 722k and a 622 prior to that. I'm debating upgrading to a 922, as I think it is an issue with the 622 family. Has anyone seen this issue with a 922?

#110 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

I typically don't have that issue; it only misses the last 1-15 minutes of a show because the previous show ran over. You'd think Dish would have a way base timers on actual airing rather than timers. I've given up worrying about it now that Dish Online seems to work well. I just watch the ending (or the whole show) on my PC (which I have hdmi'ed to my TV in case I want to watch it "big").

#111 OFFLINE   MattE303

MattE303

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

This issue happened to me tonight (posted in a couple other threads before finding this one). Scheduled a 3 hour live event with an extra hour, just in case. Started watching while it was still recording (about 2.5 hours into the event). It played about the first hour, then jumped to live tv. I tried everything to go back, then let the recording finish and tried again. No matter what I do, the show ends at the same spot about an hour in. Even archiving it to the external drive and playing it from there does the same thing.

Is anyone from DISH here that actually cares?

#112 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

Is anyone from DISH here that actually cares?

No.

It hasn't happened to me in a while but I know it's only a matter of time.

#113 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

This problem has been mentioned in a few threads & also on another forum. I even had things set up to send Dish my system logs when the problem occurred, which I did. They said this was supposedly fixed in a firmware update. And since it did not happen to me for quite some time perhaps it was a one time glitch. Obviously it's not.

I guess not enough people complain to Dish so they just don't care.

#114 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:10 AM

It happened again last night. I guess the firmware fix did not do the job.

My wife was watching "The Voice" & the recording stopped playing 10 minutes before the end.

#115 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

I don't want to "hijack the GD thread" for a third time, but it looks as though everything I said is what you finally found out, could not get addressed and am now still experiencing including the "dismay" I had back then. TYS.

#116 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

Since this is occurring again, please PM me your receiver number so I can submit a trouble report to our engineers about this issue to investigate again. Please let me know. Thanks.

It happened again last night. I guess the firmware fix did not do the job.

My wife was watching "The Voice" & the recording stopped playing 10 minutes before the end.

#117 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Since this is occurring again, please PM me your receiver number so I can submit a trouble report to our engineers about this issue to investigate again. Please let me know. Thanks.

It happened again this evening. My 2 hr 16 min recording ended with 1 hr 20 mins left. This was OTA and no storms in my area yet.

Ray C - I've already jumped through numerous hoops in order to resolve this. Another Dish employee had set things up so that when I had a problem someone in your engineering or IT dept was enabled to access my DVR logs. And when the problem occured I emailed the proper parties as I was requested. They were either out of town or sick. Of course I didn't know that because they never updated their email to reflect this & of course never provided an alternate contact person. Later I was told that a firmware update supposedly fixed the problem. Obviously Dish has no intention of fixing this problem otherwise they would have done so.after a couple of years. I'm glad my homemade HTPC has never missed or screwed up a recording. I'm already in contact with another Dish person in order to get a replacement DVR. We'll see how that one works.

Edited by Mike109, 19 May 2013 - 10:01 PM.

#118 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

Oops - I just noticed this message was in the wrong thread so am correcting it.

Edited by Mike109, 04 August 2013 - 04:19 AM.

#119 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Please consider a fifth. I just read this entire thread and can say that I have had recordings end early also. I have a 722k with dual OTA tuners.

Quite disturbing considering the OP started this thread on 11/7/10, had confirmation over the months by several senior members, with at least one who provided excellent documentation to Dish. Five months later and......... nothing. Aren't there Dish employees that monitor and provide feedback on some threads? :confused:

Just returned to dbstalk.  Here it is many years later and the problem still exists.  Wow!

#120 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

Just returned to dbstalk.  Here it is many years later and the problem still exists.  Wow!

Thanks for the update on what is going on with the recordings ending early. Has the DVR been setup to extend the record time? If so, are there back to back recordings with adjusted timer’s setup as well?

Thanks

Protected By... spam firewall...And...