Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recording playback ended early?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

Well, with Dish ignoring the posts here, I contacted the Dish Rep that had been the liason with me trying to get the "Early Ending" issue resolved.  He told me that he had been contacted some time ago by someone from here and explained that he had been transferred to a different area.

My contact tells me that he pointed that person toward the group that has the lead on finding a solution.

I've got Fios coming out in two days to show me what's involved in installing the TV internal coax.

Bye.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   kimesco_DISH

kimesco_DISH

• DISH Representative
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

We need to gather some additional information on this topic.  Please include the following information: The name of the program, what channel and time the program air on.  We will also need to know how the timers are setup.  To find this information, please go to menu, daily schedule, timers, select the timer with the issue, and choose edit.  From this screen we will need to know if the timer is setup to start early and end late, or if it is set to 0 minutes early and late, etc.  We need the length of the program that recorded shows in the DVR screen.  Also, please go to menu, and daily schedule, and list any events that start before and after the event in question, and list whether these events are also set to record early and end late.  Please note if you have deleted the timer and set it back up, and whether not this resolved the issue.  Finally, please let us know if the receiver is connected to the internet via an Ethernet connection.

Thanks,

Kim E.

#143 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:17 AM

We need to gather some additional information on this topic.  Please include the following information: The name of the program, what channel and time the program air on.  We will also need to know how the timers are setup.  To find this information, please go to menu, daily schedule, timers, select the timer with the issue, and choose edit.  From this screen we will need to know if the timer is setup to start early and end late, or if it is set to 0 minutes early and late, etc.  We need the length of the program that recorded shows in the DVR screen.  Also, please go to menu, and daily schedule, and list any events that start before and after the event in question, and list whether these events are also set to record early and end late.  Please note if you have deleted the timer and set it back up, and whether not this resolved the issue.  Finally, please let us know if the receiver is connected to the internet via an Ethernet connection.

Thanks,

Kim E.

Have you read anything in this thread? That a lot of what you are asking has already been provided? That several other DIRT employees were looking into this? That engineers at Dish have already been contacted? That Dish has stated it is software problem? That this has been a problem for at least 3 years? That Dish's Executive Dept told me they know about the problem?

Did all these Dish people die that we have to start all over after 3 years?

Edited by Mike109, 13 September 2013 - 06:18 AM.

#144 OFFLINE   kimesco_DISH

kimesco_DISH

• DISH Representative
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

Mike109, et al.,

We need to continue to gather up to date information, so we can attempt to duplicate this issue.  That is why it's important to see if there is an internet connection via the Ethernet cable as well.  After 48 hours if we have not collected the data, it will be too old to upload this information and see.  That is why we continue to ask for updated information: we need this information to replicate the issue and find a solution.  At this time, we have been unable to duplicate the issue.  So, we need to find out what other timers you have setup to record, what is scheduled to record before and after the issue.  What the daily schedule shows, if the timer has been setup for a long time or if it is a newer timer, what exactly the timers are setup for in recording duration, etc.

Thanks,

Kim E.

#145 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:56 AM

Take a look at message #17 where Dish has uploaded the diagnostic logs in November 2010. What has Dish done about that?

Message #25 indicates the same poster as above has discussed this with a Dish engineer in December 2010. What had Dish done about it?

Message #28 - the same person heard from Dish Engineering who said it was software problem. The poster is sending his DVR to Dish with some corrupt recordings on it. What has Dish done to fix the problem?

Message #49 - I spoke with the Dish Executive Office in January 2011 and they said they are aware of the problem. Again, what is Dish doing to fix it?

Message #79 - A poster sent 6 emails to Dish Engineering & also to the CEO’s office. Yet no one from Dish had the decency to respond. No wonder nothing is getting fixed.

Message #101 is just one posting that supplied a lot of information to a DIRT member. But nothing ever happened.

Message 107 -  A DIRT member states this problem is on the Dish  "Known Receiver Issue" list.

Message #117 - I had a problem & Dish had set things up so I could send my logs to Dish when I had a problem. When a problem occurred I emailed the proper parties as I was instructed, but no one ever replied.

Message #123 - Poster provide DIRT member with Dish engineer who was working on the issue.

Now you’re the fourth DIRT member getting involved with a three year old problem that other DIRT members & Dish engineering & Dish’s Executive Office already know about. And Dish has the logs from almost 3 years ago from a poster’s DVR. So what the heck is Dish doing? It seems quite clear that Dish knows about the problem & is doing nothing to fix it. They are taking customer's money & not fixing a known problem. People are paying for a service & not getting it. Does it take a Class Action lawsuit to get things fixed?

#146 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 359 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:10 AM

Hi Mike109, I can absolutley understand your frustration and so see your point. I am sending you a PM to explain what we are trying to do and see if you are interested in our offer. Thank you!

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday 3:30pm-12:00am, Monday 11:30am-8:00pm (MST)

#147 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

Hi Mike109, I can absolutley understand your frustration and so see your point. I am sending you a PM to explain what we are trying to do and see if you are interested in our offer. Thank you!

Why not share with the whole class?

#148 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

Besides playback ending early I also have this problem of missed beginning of programs.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ng-of-programs/

Another DIRT person contacted me right before MaryB did. I provided my contact info & someone from Dish called me. We had a conversation about both problems & went over several DVR stats. Dish is going to access my DVR logs as I just had a missed beginning problem. It’s been a while since a playback ended early problem has occurred so I don’t know if anything will still be on the logs. I have not heard back regarding either issue but again the conversation just took place a few days ago. When I hear something I will post it.

#149 OFFLINE   Barrysb

Barrysb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

Is anyone still reading this forum? I noticed the date of the last post. I've recently just began to experience this playback ending early problem on one of my two 722ks. Is there a fix I should know about?

#150 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 298 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

Barrysb,

Would you please PM me with the phone number on the account and what type of DVR you’re using?

Thanks

#151 OFFLINE   dwforslund

dwforslund

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:21 PM

We've had this stopping early for quite awhile.  We have the ViP722k with OTA tuner.   When it occurred last year we called Dish and they sent a replacement receiver in November 2013 and we used the existing OTA Tuner in the "new" receiver.  The old receiver  was VIP722K R0129013104    The new receiver is VIP722K R0129013104      The "new" receiver has had the same problem in stopping before the end of the program.  The program says it is the proper length and everything looks fine until the counter suddenly drops to 0 and stops playing.   I can jump back from the end and it says there is lots of time left (typically more than 20 minutes) but abruptly stops at the exact same point.   Once I believe that I was able to jump back and then fast forward and get past the stopping point, but I've not been able to reproduce that.   I think it is recording the entire program fine, but some signal is placed in the recording telling the recording to stop playing.   I can call for another RMA, but it seems that replacing the machine doesn't fix the problem.  It occurred now on a recording of Amazing Race from 5/4/2014 with about 22 minutes to go.   From this forum, this problem has been going on for a number of years, with no apparent solution.  We have been Dish customers for more than 12 years and this is the only DVR we've had that has this problem.   It seems to be endemic which would appear to point to a software problem.   It isn't reproducible and seems to occur randomly and occasionally.   Is this to infrequent for Dish to reproduce in the Lab?   I still would like to see a solution to this problem.  

#152 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

I'm still having this problem on my my third DVR. And had it on the other two. I just had it happen again last night. My wife was watching "The Voice" which was recorded on the 722K with the OTA module. Playback ended about 20 minutes into the 2 hour program. And my friend also has this problem once in a while.The Dish reps on the forum keep asking for more information but it's not a hardware problem.

My other problem is recordings starting late. And I don't mean because the broadcaster is off on the program times. I have pages of documentation & many photos of the TV screen showing the History & that the Dish Start times are off, & sometimes up to an hour late. And Dish knows about this. But I don't think these problems are ever going to be fixed.

spam firewall