Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish 625 DVR Receiver - install?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TerminatioN

TerminatioN

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:44 PM

I already have Dish Network service, and have a couple 625 DVRs already. I was hoping to replace one of my regular receivers with another 625, but my question is, if I buy one on eBay/craigslist/etc, will it be as easy as disconnecting the cords from the old one, connecting them to the new 625 and swapping the card from the old box over?

Or will I need a new card for the 625? or is there some sort of activation process for the new 625 that only a dish tech can do?

Sorry if this is a stupid question... just don't want to buy something I won't be able to use.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PhillipC@DISH Network

PhillipC@DISH Network

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

Great question.

In terms of setting up the replacement, all you will need to do is make sure that all the connections from your old receiver are connected to your replacement receiver. You will not be able to use the smart card from you old receiver with the replacement receiver, the replacement should come with one for itself.

Please ensure is that the receiver you're purchasing is not leased on another account and doesn't have a balance on it.

When you want us to active the replacement receiver you have a couple of options: You can register your replacement online after registering on our website, or give us a call at our 24/7 customer support number 1-800-333-DISH (3474), we would be happy to walk you through that process.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,930 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:43 PM

Add to the checklist: ask what a card came with it ? Purple with letter "G3" is OK, other will require you to pay $40 for new, so do negotiate your price down.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

Please ensure is that the receiver you're purchasing is not leased on another account and doesn't have a balance on it.

Actually, you need to ensure that:

- the receiver is OWNED, not leased. Most receivers are leased, and leased receivers cannot be transferred to another account.

- the receiver is not currently active on an account.

- the receiver has no outstanding balance on it

- you have the Service Plan, because if the receiver is dead, or dies soon after you get it, it won't get replaced unless you have the Service Plan.

99% of the time I get a customer who has "acquired" a receiver from somewhere other than Dish, that receiver ends up not being able to be activated. The only way to be sure is to get the R and S numbers from the receiver and call Dish. And know going in that you're taking a risk...

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

Protected By... spam firewall...And...