Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Barbie's hidden "Spycam" a good idea?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,301 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:14 AM

From the "What the hell were they thinking?" department:

Mattell's 'Barbie' web site: "Our new Video Barbie doll has a hidden camera"

According to the Moree (Australia) Champion: "...the Barbie camera might pick up some personal and private events that you would rather not be publicly disclosed."

Wow! This cannot be a good idea. I can see all kinds of potential problems stemming from a child's doll having a built-in cam. Am I wrong? What do you think?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:29 AM

No different than buying your kid a cell phone that has a cam. It's up to the parents to buy it and teach them and monitor it's use.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:32 AM

Me... personally.

I don't see any issue with it.

1) This is a BARBIE toy doll.

2) It's intended primary audience, is little children.

3) Calling it a "SPY" camera, is flat out not correct. It is not hidden, it is MARKETED as having a video camer in the barbie doll.... no different then if you give the kids an cactuall video camera to use.

4) It is 2010/2011... My 2yrd old LOVES to see herself on the computer with the video's we take from: Actually Video Camera, Small Digital Camera that takes video, cheap cell phone, expensive smart phone, the Web Cam that I use in the living room, the web cam on the computer.

5) If you are going to actually "spy" on anything... yep, let's put it in something that can easily be moved, not in the position you want to look at, and so on.

6) What "private" event is it going to pickup on your little kids playing with it. Heck, I hope it DOES catch something really cool and personal, there is this show on TV for about 25 years now... that you can win $100k for those one-of-moments that the camera captures.

Honestly, IMHO... parinoia these days is just getting way out of wack.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

It would good when checking cheating wife. :D

OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

It would good when checking cheating wife. :D

If my wife was cheating... pretty darn sure it wouldn't be in my daughter's room, or the room that a Barbie doll would typically be kept in.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,860 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:53 AM

Wow! This cannot be a good idea. I can see all kinds of potential problems stemming from a child's doll having a built-in cam. Am I wrong? What do you think?

When I saw this thread, it made me think of another contraption out there on the market... namely that of the new remote controlled helicopter with the camera in it.

The commercial shows the camera buzzing over the sister (or babysitter) making out with her boyfriend... :eek2:

Granted, with a toy like that, I'm more worried about the amount of "grown kids" buying one... :nono2:

~Alan

OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:17 PM

those teens could be very interesting in your umm... personal life too ;)

OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:58 PM

Parents have already been putting "spy" cams in their homes and kids' rooms so they can watch over the internet while at work. I've seen several commercials touting this "feature" of some home security setups.

This isn't even a new idea, so I don't see any need to worry more about it than what's already on the market.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:15 PM

Gee, from a privacy standpoint how is this different than any "NannyCam" such as this?

Posted Image

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,301 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:59 PM

Gee, from a privacy standpoint how is this different than any "NannyCam" such as this?

Not that much, but a child can connect 'Barbie' to the Internet and stream live or recorded video of herself and her little friends, or the cam could be 'live' and unintentionally streaming without anyone being aware that it is on.

Deny it if you wish, but you know it can happen. Even in professional situations where people should know better, open mics and live cameras catch stuff all the time, How much more could get out from a child, or even from her technically unsophisticated parents?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:20 PM

If my wife was cheating... pretty darn sure it wouldn't be in my daughter's room, or the room that a Barbie doll would typically be kept in.

I can vouch for that.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:28 PM

Not that much, but a child can connect 'Barbie' to the Internet and stream live or recorded video of herself and her little friends, or the cam could be 'live' and unintentionally streaming without anyone being aware that it is on.

Deny it if you wish, but you know it can happen. Even in professional situations where people should know better, open mics and live cameras catch stuff all the time, How much more could get out from a child, or even from her technically unsophisticated parents?

Oh, I'm not denying anything. There have been problems with even more formal cameras like those built into laptops. Only an idiot would let their kid use this Barbie unsupervised. Which is why we'll be seeing hundreds of "accidents" on the internet.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,202 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

Mrs. Fluffybear was telling me a story a couple weeks back about a co-worker who stated that was the best place to cheat on your spouse (kids room) as it is the last place anyone would think to look.

BTW, who needs barbie - there are so many places you can hide a camera now a days. I just went out and checked out a site which even puts them in AC power adaptors

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

Having just watched Toy Story 3, I would venture to guess most of the recording this camera would end up doing would be.........in a kids mouth as they try and chew on it, down the toilet when they look to see if Barbie can swim, or driven over by an older brother who takes his Tonka trucks to Barbie to see what happens.

OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

I can vouch for that.

:eek2:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,202 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:04 PM

Having just watched Toy Story 3, I would venture to guess most of the recording this camera would end up doing would be.........in a kids mouth as they try and chew on it, down the toilet when they look to see if Barbie can swim, or driven over by an older brother who takes his Tonka trucks to Barbie to see what happens.

:eek: :crying:

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:47 PM

A child can sneak out of the house and play in the street or get kidnapped too... but we don't chain (hopefully) kids in closets to keep them out of danger.

Ultimately it is a combination of watching when and where you can + knowing what your child owns and plays with + teaching them right vs wrong + a lot of luck.

IF this Barbie was the first such item on the market, I'd be more concerned... but there are so many other things (including the Nannycams) on the market already, that this seems late in the game to suddenly worry about now. Any parent worried just over this toy is likely already missing all the other things.

Many (most??) laptops come with built-in Webcams nowadays. My iMac came with one too... so your kid might already be in this situation if you haven't been paying attention to what you buy for your kids.

OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:22 AM

This all brings into question what messages are being sent with all this... (privacy is dead, no matter what, for example).
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:03 AM

This all brings into question what messages are being sent with all this... (privacy is dead, no matter what, for example).

Pretty much... although, sometimes we learn things from unintended consequences.

Like... when I was a kid it was still recommended to sew your child's name into clothing like coats so they didn't lose them at school... but the predators adapted to feigning familiarity with kids based on observing those nametags...

I've also heard about those chips some have imbedding in their kids like the ones for dogs... that contains information if the child gets lost that say a policeman could scan to know where to take the child home... but if a predator gets his hands on that tech, he can scan kids and learn about them before abduction.

I don't think (I hope) those ID chips caught on for kids.

OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:40 PM

I'm sorry, but even a 10 year old that might be using this should be monitored when connecting it up to the computer/Internet. The parent should know where the videos are going. There is no way that a video taken by a 5 year old on one of these should end up unknowingly on the Internet.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...