Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

installing 6x8 multiswitch

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:04 PM

I am going to be installing my new Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch this afternoon. I know that the 4 wires from the SL3 can go in any order in the ports not using the flex ports of course my main question would be after I have the switch wired do I keep my boxes on SL3 Multiswitch setting or is there another setting that I need to move them to, also will I need to go through a new setup with each of the recievers or just reset each reciever using the reset button? I have all H21 and H23 recievers

Thanks in Advance

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:09 PM

Also can I connect my BBC to the outputs of the multiswitch instead of to the back of the reciever as long as it would obviously still be between the reciever and multiswitch. This would save a little space and clutter behind the recievers

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:16 PM

You won't have to red button reset anything, because you powered down the whole system before making changes to the connections. ;)

Once you get the switch in there, plug all the receivers back in and you shouldn't have to change anything.

Yes, you can put the BBC on somewhere else besides the back of the receiver, but not outside and they have to be in the same direction as normal. The pigtail goes towards the receiver. You can't screw the pigtail to the 6x8, but you can make a short jumper and then use an F81 barrel from the pigtail to attach to your cable running to the room. Or pry it open and take the pigtail off and attach the cable directly.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:31 PM

I assume you already know the H23's do NOT need BBC's...

#5 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:47 PM

Well I got the install done. Everything went well except I did have to do a red button reset on my two h21's. For some reason on those even if they are powered down if I disconnect the coax and reattach when I power them back on it will say searching for satellite, I wonder if it has something to so with the BBC's. My H23 was fine and no reset was needed again no BBC on it so I dont know if that has something to do with it?

#6 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:53 PM

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2ypnng7.jpg[/IMG]
I will be adding another output tomorrow.

#7 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:53 AM

did you try changing the channel. A lot of the H and HR model receivers will stay searching for satellite even after the signal is back. A simple channel change and it starts working again.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#8 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

Well I got the install done. Everything went well except I did have to do a red button reset on my two h21's. For some reason on those even if they are powered down if I disconnect the coax and reattach when I power them back on it will say searching for satellite, I wonder if it has something to so with the BBC's. My H23 was fine and no reset was needed again no BBC on it so I dont know if that has something to do with it?

Did you actually unplug them or just turn them off with the power button on the remote? The power button on the remote doesn't actually turn them off. Powering them down is best done by going into the menus and telling them to reboot and then pulling the power when it starts to reboot. The only way they are actually off is with then not plugged into power.

#9 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

I was not aware of that but a simple red button reset seemed to cure everything. Does anyone know if it is ok to have an output connected that is not used all the time. I know it said not to terminate any unused ports but did not know if it would hurt to have a line attached without a reciever hooked up at all times

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:39 PM

It's okay to have coax hooked to an unused output (and you don't really need to put a terminator at the far end of the coax, the coax itself provides much the same benefit). Do protect the far end connector so it does not short out accidentally.

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:28 AM

It's okay to have coax hooked to an unused output (and you don't really need to put a terminator at the far end of the coax, the coax itself provides much the same benefit). Do protect the far end connector so it does not short out accidentally.

Don't use terminators at all. I burned out a 6x16 Zinwell because the installer put them on.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:36 PM

Don't use terminators at all. I burned out a 6x16 Zinwell because the installer put them on.

Rich

Oh yeah, I was thinking SWM. Absolutely do not use terminators on regular multiswitches.

#13 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:39 AM

I wasnt going to terminate it only have a line hooked to it that goes to a room that I dont always have the box connected to.

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:35 AM

I wasnt going to terminate it only have a line hooked to it that goes to a room that I dont always have the box connected to.

We're talking about caps that fit on the unused ports of the multi-switches. They have a 75 ohm resistor in them and if used on the multi-switches they will, at the very least, burn out the transformer on the power lead.

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:02 PM

I understand I cant put terminators on it but can I have lines attached that dont always have a reciever attached?

#16 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:15 AM

Yes

spam firewall