Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

JVC Sound bar TH-BA1

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   pchrist

pchrist

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:13 PM

I was close to the vizio it just didn't have the connections i needed. So i went with the JVC. I actually posted over there first.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   CrownSeven

CrownSeven

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:23 PM

I was close to the vizio it just didn't have the connections i needed. So i went with the JVC. I actually posted over there first.

Yeah I can understand that, wish it had more than one optical connection. I decided to just grab the optical splitter. We'll see how that works out.

#23 OFFLINE   pchrist

pchrist

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

Yeah I can understand that, wish it had more than one optical connection. I decided to just grab the optical splitter. We'll see how that works out.

I had never seen one of those!!!! I would have taken it then!!!!

#24 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

Folks over at avsforum highly recommend the Vizio VHT510.

Really? Wow...I'm surprised by that.
DTV = Digital Television

#25 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,727 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:00 PM

I have had a Yamaha YSP-1000 in my master bedroom for a long time now. The Yamaha sound bars differ from the cheezy knock offs in that they have a multitude of speakers each with their own digital amplifier.

Mine has 42 speakers (plus a 12 inch sub) and does a convincingly wide soundstage in a 736 sq ft room that is much wider than it is deep. There are smaller YSPs with 22 speakers that adapt well to smaller rooms.

In my room the sound is very good albeit not on par with any of my Yamaha/Klipsch 7.1 systems in other areas of my home but I would not expect it to be. I view it on par with most good quality home theater in a box units as far as sound.

It's good, it's optimized by a YAPQ microhone setting to your listening area, and moving about the room one is convinced there are speakers right there on the walls where one should be.

Stereo music material sounds best in stereo mode and it sounds good (not wow (well for single cabinet really wow), but enjoyable). It also features some DSP settings that on some material enhances it but on others ruins it. With the DSP on being on certain side angles sound scratchy as the myriad of individual speakers work in phase to create the wide soundscape.

Is it a true surround sound? Nope. Is it an amazingly rich and wide soundfield? Absolutely. Does it work in odd configurations? Yes (I've installed several of these for friends in some rather non optimal room configurations).

These are not cheap when compared to the mass market soundbars that are springing up but are light years better sounding and not expensive when compared to buying the components that would sound as good.

I'm really drooling over the new YSPs that have 4 HDMI inputs, several generations newer sound refinements, and are now capable of all the HD bitstreams along with multi channel PCM but my old reliable 1000 is really just fine for a bedroom unit. It gets heavy use, sounds awesome and I know how to use its DSP and beam settings to suit my critical tastes on differing source materials.

Don "I've more toys than common sense" Bolton

Since a sound bar is based on reflections, unless you are centered in a square room (and the sound bar is also centered), not only will it not work, but it might sound worse than TV speakers, because you'll get an echo as sound reaches you at different points. If you have windows or curtains or a bookshelf or anything else in the way (on the side walls), that will effect it to.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#26 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:56 PM

Not sure how a sound bar can sound worse that the tiny speakers included in most tv sets these days.

Because if the sound reaches the intended destination (your ears) at a different time, it will be muffled. This is the same reason that home theater owners use treatments in their rooms to eliminate (or at least reduce) sound reflections. Sound reflections are not good, but that's the principle behind sound bars. Let say the same sound is coming from the "right" and "left" front speakers. The soundbar will "reflect" those sounds off of a wall, to simulate surround sound (sound comes from the sides). Your soundbar bounces the right sound off of a sheetrock wall 5' away from you. The soundbar bounces the left sound off of a windowed wall 15' away from you. What do you think will happen? The two sounds will reach your ears at different times, creating an echo. During that echo, other sounds (i.e. center channel dialogue) will be harder to understand.

I have had a Yamaha YSP-1000 in my master bedroom for a long time now. The Yamaha sound bars differ from the cheezy knock offs in that they have a multitude of speakers each with their own digital amplifier.

And that's a $1500 - $2000 sound bar, so I would hope it would be decent.

But, for that much money you could have had a much better "real system" than a soundbar. I recently put together a complete system for a neighbor (receiver, 5.1 speakers) for under $1K that would blow that soundbar out of the water (and you'd actually have true surround).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#27 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

Really? Wow...I'm surprised by that.

Keep in mind, that it's in the soundbar sub-forum.

You can also find HTIB's that are highly recommended at AVS, if you look in the right forum. Of course, 99.9% of the members would still advise against buying one.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:07 PM

Folks over at avsforum highly recommend the Vizio VHT510. I picked one up from costco and love it so far. Some of the early versions had build issues, but mine seems to be holding up well (no worries with the Costco warranty). The VHt510 comes with wireless sub and rear surround speakers. The rear surround speakers are connected by wires to the wireless sub. Those surrounds really set it apart from other sound bars.

As for the sound quality, I'm loving it so far. Not sure how a sound bar can sound worse that the tiny speakers included in most tv sets these days. Rich don't hesitate to try one out. Just purchase your unit from someone who has a great return policy.

Otherwise the JVC you purchased has also gotten great reviews as well.

The way my bedroom is setup I wouldn't be directly in front of the sound bar. From Spartanstew's post, I get the idea that isn't the ideal way to use it. What do you think?

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   pchrist

pchrist

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

It really is all relative if i could afford a 1500 sound bar for my bed room i wouldn't be contemplating a 250 dollar one for my living room where we watch most of our tv. It is something we are going to try to replace a 5.1 system there already. My wife was tired of the speakers. She seen this and was curious i was to had the green light to buy something so i did!!!!! We'll see how it compares. Going to leave them both up side by side and watch a show and see how it does!!!

I would love to spend that kind of money for a sound system for the bedroom but at this stage in my life i can be content with this. But the real question i had on it was can the DTV remote control it????

#30 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:18 PM

Because if the sound reaches the intended destination (your ears) at a different time, it will be muffled. This is the same reason that home theater owners use treatments in their rooms to eliminate (or at least reduce) sound reflections. Sound reflections are not good, but that's the principle behind sound bars. Let say the same sound is coming from the "right" and "left" front speakers. The soundbar will "reflect" those sounds off of a wall, to simulate surround sound (sound comes from the sides). Your soundbar bounces the right sound off of a sheetrock wall 5' away from you. The soundbar bounces the left sound off of a windowed wall 15' away from you. What do you think will happen? The two sounds will reach your ears at different times, creating an echo. During that echo, other sounds (i.e. center channel dialogue) will be harder to understand.

Yeah, my TV is only a couple feet from one wall and about sixteen feet (give or take) from the other wall. I'm beginning to see what you mean. While I don't need a "premium" sound system in the bedroom, using the TV is not what I want to do. I recently gave a Sony Dream System away, and I should have used it in the BR.

I gotta take a look on Amazon and see what small 4 ohm systems they've got for sale. If I go to Crutchfield, I will end up spending a bunch of money and the BR doesn't really need that, nor will the wife put up with that, she'll retaliate with jewelry and the sound system will end up costing me twice as much. :)

Rich

#31 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:20 PM

It really is all relative if i could afford a 1500 sound bar for my bed room i wouldn't be contemplating a 250 dollar one for my living room where we watch most of our tv. It is something we are going to try to replace a 5.1 system there already. My wife was tired of the speakers. She seen this and was curious i was to had the green light to buy something so i did!!!!! We'll see how it compares. Going to leave them both up side by side and watch a show and see how it does!!!

I would love to spend that kind of money for a sound system for the bedroom but at this stage in my life i can be content with this. But the real question i had on it was can the DTV remote control it????

I had a problem recently with an AV receiver that I couldn't find a code for and called the PP's tech center and the guy I talked to had a lot of codes that he said the general public didn't have. We did get the receiver controlled by the D* remote.

Rich

#32 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,727 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:25 PM

Agreed though it was only a grand at the time. Vaulted ceilings and a second story room made dragging wire about for a real 5.1 or 7.1 system way more than trivial. Believe me I had a spare system at the time (a Yamaha RX-V1300 and a Boston Acoustics 6.1 speaker set) that I gave to my daughter in law's household rather than solve the wiring issues.

I have been more than satisfied with the YSP...

As to the poster that asked the initial question... Perhaps a reasonable Creative brand speaker kit for a PC might give him a better sound experience. Have to be able to check the volume levels though as some of these don't have a lot of power to fill a big room. Only a 2.1 system likely but for 80 bucks or so he can have good quality sound with good boom bass and save coin for a better system later.

Don "hooked on sonics" Bolton

And that's a $1500 - $2000 sound bar, so I would hope it would be decent.

But, for that much money you could have had a much better "real system" than a soundbar. I recently put together a complete system for a neighbor (receiver, 5.1 speakers) for under $1K that would blow that soundbar out of the water (and you'd actually have true surround).

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#33 OFFLINE   pchrist

pchrist

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

well got the sound bar. It sounds good, does it compare to 5.1 well not really. does it take up less space and give you a feeling of surround? YES. It is better than tv speakers!!!!! not quiet a true 5.1 but didn't expect that either. My suggestions is if you are looking to just upgrade tv speakers and go for better sound on a budget do it!!!! If you are a sound enthusiast that is looking for stellar sound. Buy a 5.1!!!!

Would i recommend YES!!!

#34 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

well got the sound bar. It sounds good, does it compare to 5.1 well not really. does it take up less space and give you a feeling of surround? YES. It is better than tv speakers!!!!! not quiet a true 5.1 but didn't expect that either. My suggestions is if you are looking to just upgrade tv speakers and go for better sound on a budget do it!!!! If you are a sound enthusiast that is looking for stellar sound. Buy a 5.1!!!!

Would i recommend YES!!!

Do you have the sound bar centered equidistantly from the walls? Could you take a moment and describe how it sits in the room?

Rich

#35 OFFLINE   pchrist

pchrist

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

Well the tv sits in the corner of the room.It is pretty close to equal distance to the walls. It's in a rectangle room so it probably doesnt' help. I put the sub behind the couch where we sit to help give the rumble a little closer to where we sit. It is a very good clean looking system. Little to know wires compared to what i had with my 5.1 plus no extra speakers all over!!!! For what it is it's great. My wife can't tell the difference at alll. she likes it and that's what matters!!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...