Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrade Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   inbloom

inbloom

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:48 AM

I have been a DTV subscriber for over a decade and am currently running a Hughes Series 2 Tivo and an even older Sony Sat-t60 Tivo. Amazingly the Sony still works like a charm, the Hughes is on a 2nd HD and is still rebooting all the time. Obviously well past time for an upgrade.

I have finally given up on waiting for Tivo and would like to move to an HD-DVR and 3 HD Receivers hoping to take advantage of the whole house DVR functionality. My current Dish has 4 lines running into the house and two lines to each Tivo, I understand this can all be done with a single line today.

1. What do I need to ask for from CSR / Retention to make sure my order includes all necessary components and current technology / increase odds of getting latest generation receivers?

2. Any thoughts on what I should expect to pay for equipment and install? Dish recently offered me a similar set-up with no equipment and no activation fees. Any advice on getting DTV to offer a similar deal is appreciated as I would prefer to stay with them.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

1. Just order the Whole Home DVR with the Internet Connection Kit (in addition to the receivers, of course). Not much you can do about what receivers you get.

2. Nope. People have been charged prices that are all over the board. Just call and ask. My guess would be $300-500.

#3 ONLINE   kiknwing

kiknwing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 490 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:00 PM

I have been a DTV subscriber for over a decade and am currently running a Hughes Series 2 Tivo and an even older Sony Sat-t60 Tivo. Amazingly the Sony still works like a charm, the Hughes is on a 2nd HD and is still rebooting all the time. Obviously well past time for an upgrade.

I have finally given up on waiting for Tivo and would like to move to an HD-DVR and 3 HD Receivers hoping to take advantage of the whole house DVR functionality. My current Dish has 4 lines running into the house and two lines to each Tivo, I understand this can all be done with a single line today.

1. What do I need to ask for from CSR / Retention to make sure my order includes all necessary components and current technology / increase odds of getting latest generation receivers?

2. Any thoughts on what I should expect to pay for equipment and install? Dish recently offered me a similar set-up with no equipment and no activation fees. Any advice on getting DTV to offer a similar deal is appreciated as I would prefer to stay with them.

Thanks!

1) adding mrv to the order will increase chances of getting an 24 series. But they can't guarantee that you will get the latest an greatest.
2) Tell the retention dept the deal dish is offering and they might match the deal. I did this. I think that you have a good chance of getting what you want for free.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:08 PM

Looking at what you have now, it does not appear that you have any HD receivers, correct?

If that's the case, you might be looking at a little bit of a cost for your upgrade. I'd still do the Whole Home DVR upgrade (typically $199 now). That will get you the HD dish, SWiM install, and any other hardware (save receivers) that you need. As you currently have all SD receivers/DVR's, upgrading each one of them is going to require an up-front lease fee.

The lease fee for the DVR can be up to $199 and for the receivers up to $99. Depending on your account history, you might be able to get those fees reduced or waived.

As for your new setup, I would recommend 2 DVRs and 2 receivers. That will get you extra recording space and will also allow you to have 100 Series Links instead of just 50 with one DVR.

Good luck.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   Matman

Matman

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:28 PM

For what its worth, I was out of contract and just did the movers connection. I upgraded to MVR and they waived the install costs. (2 weeks ago if you are looking for a timeframe) I was able to use my existing boxes, but the upgrade didn't cost me a penny. I think they are willing to work a little for customers out of contract, espicially if you note what the competition is offering you. As always. your mileage may vary.

Edited by Matman, 10 November 2010 - 11:31 AM.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
~Leonardo da Vinci

#6 OFFLINE   Max Mike

Max Mike

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:33 PM

From my recent experience… I dropped DirecTV October 1st and went with Charter, big mistake. During October DirecTV called several times trying to get me to come back and finally they and Charters awful DVR and Charters customer service ineptitude convinced me.

DirecTV offered me a free reinstall, free HD-DVR (I got a HR24), two free HD receivers, MRV install with free internet connection device, $24 month discount for a year, and a $60 onetime credit. The installer was here last Thursday did a nice job and fixed some things the original installer had neglected like grounding.

So my guess is if you call retention and inform D* you may leave you might be able to get a similar deal.

#7 OFFLINE   inbloom

inbloom

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:08 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Hadn't thought about getting 2 HDDVR and 2 HD receivers for extra capacity. Great idea.

I started my quest by contacting customer service via the website. The responded with a $650 upgrade cost. 1 free DVR, $400 additional equipment, $200 Whole home set-up, $50 install.

Next, I called and the CSR tried to convince me to get 1 HD DVR, 1 HD receiver, 1 standard box (which would be upgraded to a standard DVR to work with the whole home system) for $211.

Frustrated at this point I asked to cancel, transferred to retention and asked them to cancel service and asked how long until I could get new customer pricing (2 years). After holding for a while they offered me 2HDDVR, 2 HD receivers installed for $0 and a year of free HD. Sounded great to me.

Edited by inbloom, 11 November 2010 - 07:57 PM.

spam firewall