Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Raleigh-Durham blackout of Bobcats games?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ice Runner

Ice Runner

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:38 PM

Just moved back to N.C. and noticed that whenever I see a Bobcats game listed, it's always blacked out. Why is it that I can't see these games?
HR22-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

I read an article last year(I think) that said that DirecTV only purchased the rights to show Bobcat games in a 100 mile radius of Charlotte or something like that.

#3 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:35 PM

Actually it is 75 miles but DirecTV can narrow it down that small. You will never get them see play unless they play on TNT or ESPN which is very rarely.

I live in Chapel Hill and I haven't been able to watch the Bobcats since they moved their local games to Fox Sports. The Bobcats claim it is DirecTV who needs to pony up for the territory broadcast rights. I think it is poor business by the Bobcats when no one else outside of the greater Charlotte area can ever watch them. How they ever expect to grow their fan base is beyond me.

However I refuse to purchase NBA league pass (which will not get you the Bobcats games either) from DirecTV for this reason alone as I do think they should pay the extend territory fees for as much money as we pay them.

Here is a link to my post from 2008.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=144294

Edited by Garyunc, 09 November 2010 - 07:43 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Ice Runner

Ice Runner

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for the info. That is pretty lame. Seems like the NBA wouldn't let a team do that. This never is a problem with MLB, right?

I take it that cable subscribers in Raleigh-Durham can see Bobcats games?
HR22-100

#5 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:13 PM

So wait. You purchase League Pass to see out of market games. Raleigh is out of the DirecTV market for the Bobcats, yet it is not available???

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#6 OFFLINE   Attitude2000

Attitude2000

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:19 PM

Thanks for the info. That is pretty lame. Seems like the NBA wouldn't let a team do that. This never is a problem with MLB, right?

I take it that cable subscribers in Raleigh-Durham can see Bobcats games?

It's like the opposite of a problem. You can see the Braves from Jacksonville, FL to middle Tennessee from old territory restrictions (NC is Orioles territory I believe)
DirecTV HR22-100
Sony KDL-32BX320 TV

#7 OFFLINE   crimpshrine

crimpshrine

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:56 PM

I love when I wrote the Bobcats about this problem, they said Directv decided not to PAY to show the games outside their broadcast radius. Why should Directv have to pay for the Bobcats to show their games in their home state? I want to know why the Bobcats made such a stupid broadcasting deal?

The Carolina Hurricanes show their games in North Carolina and South Carolina but the Bobcats only show their games within a 75 mile radius? I want to watch my "home" team play! Makes no sense for a team that is hungry for new fans. :confused:

#8 OFFLINE   Ice Runner

Ice Runner

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

My blog post about the frustrating decisions that have to be made. If I want to see the Bobcats, I have to get cable. If I do that, I can't see the Nationals or Orioles:

http://runningtarhee...ally-loses.html
HR22-100

#9 OFFLINE   RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

I'm in Durham and am now getting Bobcats games this season. Before this season, they were blacked out. Anybody have any idea what happened? Did the Bobcats relent or did DirecTV pay an extra fee to allow games to be broadcast in the Triangle?

#10 OFFLINE   shy007

shy007

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

The Bobcats games were blacked out last year for me but all of them have been on this year. I live in the Lexington, SC area which is probably 100 miles or so from Charlotte. They were fun to watch until the last few weeks when they started that long losing streak.

#11 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

The Carolina Hurricanes show their games in North Carolina and South Carolina but the Bobcats only show their games within a 75 mile radius? I want to watch my "home" team play! Makes no sense for a team that is hungry for new fans. :confused:

How many Hurricanes games have you seen this season? :D

#12 OFFLINE   RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

I'm in Durham and I was getting the Bobcats games this season, but I've noticed that the last couple of games (including tonight's game) are blacked out. What's up with that?

#13 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

I saw on Twitter that Fox Sports said to send them your zip code if you didn't get tonight's game.

#14 OFFLINE   RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

Thanks. I just did that.

#15 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 416 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

I have had Directv in Burlington for 2 years and usually see the Bobcats on SportSouth, channel 650-1, but now I see that some of the games are mirrored on FS South 2, channel 647-1, supposedly for the people in eastern NC who don't get SportSouth as a local RSN. Did you try both channels?

For baseball, I get Braves, Reds, Nationals, and Orioles, in reference to the 2 year old comment about NC being Orioles territory, although I have heard that not everyone gets the Braves.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#16 OFFLINE   BetterThanMost

BetterThanMost

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

I think it is poor business by the Bobcats when no one else outside of the greater Charlotte area can ever watch them. How they ever expect to grow their fan base is beyond me.

Thanks for the info. That is pretty lame. Seems like the NBA wouldn't let a team do that.

I love when I wrote the Bobcats about this problem, they said Directv decided not to PAY to show the games outside their broadcast radius. Why should Directv have to pay for the Bobcats to show their games in their home state? I want to know why the Bobcats made such a stupid broadcasting deal.

My blog post about the frustrating decisions that have to be made. If I want to see the Bobcats, I have to get cable. If I do that, I can't see the Nationals or Orioles:

http://runningtarhee...ally-loses.html

We could list all of the public relations missteps the Bobcats organization has made since their inception, but it would end up being longer than the Vader's Landlord thread. They have gotten better since MJ took over. Bob Johnson was the absolute worst.

JVC HD-52G886 w/HR34-700 & C31-700 networked with WCCK
JVC AV-32320 w/HR22-1000
SHARP 13L-M100 w/C31-700

SLIMLINE 5S (SWM)

#17 OFFLINE   RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

I have had Directv in Burlington for 2 years and usually see the Bobcats on SportSouth, channel 650-1, but now I see that some of the games are mirrored on FS South 2, channel 647-1, supposedly for the people in eastern NC who don't get SportSouth as a local RSN. Did you try both channels?

For baseball, I get Braves, Reds, Nationals, and Orioles, in reference to the 2 year old comment about NC being Orioles territory, although I have heard that not everyone gets the Braves.

Yes. Blacked out on both stations. All season up until about a week ago, I got the game on both stations. Weird.

#18 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 416 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

If you change your icon to a Duke logo, i bet they'd work...

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#19 OFFLINE   RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

If you change your icon to a Duke logo, i bet they'd work...

Not worth it! :)

#20 OFFLINE   RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Just called to ask about this. After several minutes, the guy couldn't fix it. He offered me 2 months of free showtime and 6 months of Starz and I took it.

spam firewall