Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Al Jazeera

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,518 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

LOL. Have you actually watched news other then what is spoonfed to you via the networks? Where else would you find out detailed info on some military coup in a country in southeast Asia that literally gets a 30 second blurb on the nightly news (if that) between stores on Lindsey Lohan and Brittany Spears? Open your mind a bit. :D

For the Record: Al Jazeera is a International News Network headquartered in Doha, Qatar. On 24 February 2010 Qatar and Iran signed a "defense" co-operation agreement. Al Jazeera claims to be uniquely positioned to broadcast the Arab world's "point of view" to the western world. Iran's track record speaks for itself. Qatar's recent alliance with Iran clearly shows which way the wind blows in that dust heap! This being stated are you really naive enough to believe your getting unbiased news reporting from Al Jazeera?......OPEN YOUR MIND!

Edited by MysteryMan, 11 November 2010 - 11:39 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:24 PM

Lets not bring out the flame-throwers and make this a "my news station is better then yours" war....

All news stations bring part truth, and part their point of view. Fox News will report differently then BBC World, and the latter will report differently then Al Jazeera.

In the U.S. Fox News and MSNBC are probably the most biased respectively turning to the right and left, and CNN is probably somewhere in between, but nevertheless not unbiased either. Al Jazeera is probably more biased towards the islamic world, but we probably can learn a few things that western media does not report on.

If I had to pick one news station that is as unbiased as it gets, it would probably BBC World. They do have a 24/7 Newsstation which is carried in the U.S. by Verizon FIOS and Cox Cable, but not by Dish or DirecTV.

As for myself, in addition to CNN.... I would love to see CNN International as a permanent channel. FIOS and AT&T Uverse both carry that channel, as well as some cable outlets.... neither Dish or DirecTV does.

These are relatively CHEAP stations to add to the lineup. I don't expect them to do it any time soon though.

#23 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:24 PM

For the Record: Al Jazeera is a International News Network headquartered in Doha, Qatar. On 24 February 2010 Qatar and Iran signed a "defense" co-operation agreement. Al Jazeera claims to be uniquely positioned to broadcast the Arab world's "point of view" to the western world. Iran's track record speaks for itself. Qatar's recent alliance with Iran clearly shows which way the wind blows in that dust heap! This being stated are you really naive enough to believe your getting unbiased news reporting from Al Jazeera?......OPEN YOUR MIND!

Never once did I say it was unbiased. But it's good in life to get different points of view.

#24 OFFLINE   Tony Chick

Tony Chick

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:27 PM

So all we really need is FOX News right?, nothing from any other source has any value even for context. The OP wasn't saying watch AJ as a sole source, just as a useful view on how a politically significant region of the world sees the issues of the day. If that doesn't matter to you and Glenn Beck "opens your mind", then don't watch.

HR21-100
HR20-100
Gigabit wired + Wireless-N network w/ Asus N56 Router

5lnb dish (internal switch) + OTA

#25 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,595 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:27 PM

They will blow up your tv.

#26 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,797 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:31 PM

They will blow up your tv.

Ignorantly stated.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#27 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:36 PM

So all we really need is FOX News right?, nothing from any other source has any value even for context. The OP wasn't saying watch AJ as a sole source, just as a useful view on how a politically significant region of the world sees the issues of the day. If that doesn't matter to you and Glenn Beck "opens your mind", then don't watch.

Right. I don't really care about what AJ or RT or BBC says or reports on American political stuff. I'm talking about *World* news. I mean, does Fox News or NBC ever have anything on what's going on in New Zealand or Thailand or Zambia? Pretty much no. Thus if world news on goings interests you there needs to be more sources of news for that since American news doesn't seem to care.

Thus BBC, AJ, RT and Mhz are new sources that fill that void. Should you blindly believe anything they say? Heck no. And neither should you blindly believe anything Fox, CNN or NBC say either.

#28 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,518 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:40 PM

Never once did I say it was unbiased. But it's good in life to get different points of view.

The Ayatolla Khomeini, Saddam Hussein, Osomin Bin Laden and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad all come from the same corner of the globe and have had and have their "points of view"! Need I say more? :rolleyes:

#29 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,797 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:06 PM

The Ayatolla Khomeini, Saddam Hussein, Osomin Bin Laden and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad all come from the same corner of the globe and have had and have their "points of view"! Need I say more? :rolleyes:

David Koresh and Rev. Billy Graham come from the same country and read the same book...I guess both shared the same "points of view," right? My point...not all "leaders" represent a whole. I am close with a few Persians, and they tell me Mahmoud Ahmadinejad isn't representative of who they are or what their family/friends back home believe in.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#30 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,518 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:14 PM

David Koresh and Rev. Billy Graham come from the same country and read the same book...I guess both shared the same "points of view," right? My point...not all "leaders" represent a whole. I am close with a few Persians, and they tell me Mahmoud Ahmadinejad isn't representative of who they are or what their family/friends back home believe in.

This is true my friend. And not all Germans were Nazis. But at least they tried on several attempts to eliminate Hitler. Not so in the Arab world.

#31 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:14 PM

And with that .. We're done with this one. PM me if you have questions as to why.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall