Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R15-300 help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Shawver340

Shawver340

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

I need help dealing with direct tv and their equipment. I had a samsung sir 4080r for 5 years, but it appears that the hard drive is going out because the unit reboots itselfs daily. So I got a new unit from direct tv R15-300. Is there a way to watch 2 shows at the same time without recording one of those shows? With my samsung I could have 2 shows going at the same time without recording. When I talked with direct tv they said they did not allow customers choose their replacement units and suggested that if we wanted a different unit than what they sent us we should go to a direct tv retail store and purchase one. Any suggestions?????

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:57 PM

You are referring to Dual Live Buffers that the Tivos have. The R15 does not have that capability. You need an R22 (not in production anymore) or a HR series DVR, which have a feature called DoublePlay that is similar to the Dual Live Buffers feature.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:25 PM

What's wrong with recording one (or both) shows you want to flip-flop between? In reality, the R22 (or the HD DVR's) are actually RECORDING both shows in two live buffers but just not making them permanent when you abort the function. With "double play" if you don't switch for 2 hours, the "non-live" show/buffer is erased and the function canceled, but if you record both shows they are both retained even if you don't switch for a length of time.

All you need to do on your R15 is record both shows and then press the "previous channel" key to flip-flop.

How hard is it to delete the shows after you are finished? (HINT: Just highlight them in the playlist and press the DASH key twice rapidly. This function isn't talked about anymore by DirecTV but it's still in the software of all DVR's)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

spam firewall