Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A referral mess from Sam's Club

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bigwad

bigwad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:49 AM

I referred a friend to D*. He was at Sam's Club and they had a deal going my friend decided to take. I had told him he needed to use the referral number to get the referral credits. But, the guy at Sam's told him all he needed to do to get the referral was "call 1-800-DIRECTV and ask for corporate". Give them the account number and all would be good! WRONG!!!

Needless to say, you cannot get to corporate thru that number. They can't even forward you to someone who can.

After about 30 minutes on the phone trying to correct this, The CR basically said she could give me credits to account for my part, but my friend would have to call and try to get his end taken care of. My friend should not have to jump thru hoops to get what he should have gotten automatically.

I ended up sending an email to Ellen Filipiak explaining the situation and that they had a representative at Sam's Club giving out false info. I got a call from her office yesterday afternoon and the situation was resolved. The rep at Sam's Club is also going to be investigated.

I think the Sam's Club rep said whatever he needed to say to get the sale! It's a shame we have to go to such measures to get what is promised. I'm thankful D* came thru and did the right thing. They should not have a third party rep for them telling people just anything to get them to sign up.

Thanks D*, for getting this right!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:21 AM

Lesson learned. Skip third party deals and go directly to the source. DirecTV always gives new customers bonuses for signing on. If your friend is getting a HD install with either Choice Ultimate or Premier make sure they install a 5 LNB on the dish or he'll be missing 17 Sonic Tap channels that he should be getting.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   bigwad

bigwad

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:31 AM

I've discussed everything with him he should get. I tried to tell him to go thru D*, but I guess the salesman at Sam's put up a pretty good sales pitch.

And this isn't the first time I've had trouble with a referral. Gotta keep a close eye on the account!

#4 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:34 AM

Lesson learned. Skip third party deals and go directly to the source. DirecTV always gives new customers bonuses for signing on. If your friend is getting a HD install with either Choice Ultimate or Premier make sure they install a 5 LNB on the dish or he'll be missing 17 Sonic Tap channels that he should be getting.

The reason to go through third parties like Sams Club, Costco or AAA is to get the additional discounts they offer. For example, in addition to the standard DIRECTV promo, Sams club members get up to $120 more in discounts:

¹BILL CREDIT OFFER: To receive a $10/mo bill credit for 12 months (for Advantage Plus or Business Plus Members) or a $10/mo. bill credit for 4 months (for Advantage or Business Members) activation of the CHOICE Package or above with 24-month agreement is required. Must maintain package programming in order to receive bill credits.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#5 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:37 AM

The reason to go through third parties like Sams Club, Costco or AAA is to get the additional discounts they offer. For example, in addition to the standard DIRECTV promo, Sams club members get up to $120 more in discounts:

Yes, but if you get a "mucky muck" third party agent like the OP described it's a different ball game.

#6 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:45 AM

Yes, but if you get a "mucky muck" third party agent like the OP described it's a different ball game.

True, but it depends on how much its worth to you to talk to that "mucky muck". I used AAA and you were talking to the DIRECTV csr's for that promo. Back when I did it, It saved me $240 ($10 for 24 Mo's) + a second HD DVR for $99.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#7 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:53 AM

True, but it depends on how much its worth to you to talk to that "mucky muck". I used AAA and you were talking to the DIRECTV csr's for that promo. Back when I did it, It saved me $240 ($10 for 24 Mo's) + a second HD DVR for $99.

It's a luck of the draw. A knowledgeable third party agent can get you the kind of deal you described. On the other hand some of these agents would have difficulty describing to you what they had for lunch!

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:24 AM

If you didnt go through the refer a friend number, you don't get the credit, end of story. No matter what some schmuck at Sams tells you....it's amazing the amount of time and effort people burn to try to save a few bucks, then if something doesnt go right, usually through their own fault, they try to deflect and blame another party....

#9 OFFLINE   bigwad

bigwad

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:37 AM

If you didnt go through the refer a friend number, you don't get the credit, end of story. No matter what some schmuck at Sams tells you....it's amazing the amount of time and effort people burn to try to save a few bucks, then if something doesnt go right, usually through their own fault, they try to deflect and blame another party....

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. It's my fault, or my friend's fault, for listening to and believing the salesman from Sam's Club? Someone not familiar with D* would not know the guy was lying to them. Obviously you're much smarter than us average jerks! I'm sure you've never called D* for anything, and pay the full subscription price, etc. Give me a break!

#10 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:51 PM

break!

It's my fault, or my friend's fault, for listening to and believing the salesman from Sam's Club?

At this point, I don't think it really matters who's fault it was. The important thing is that DirecTV came through and everybody got what they wanted.

#11 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:04 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. It's my fault, or my friend's fault, for listening to and believing the salesman from Sam's Club? Someone not familiar with D* would not know the guy was lying to them. Obviously you're much smarter than us average jerks! I'm sure you've never called D* for anything, and pay the full subscription price, etc. Give me a break!

I would argue that someone not familiar with D* would not even know about the referral bonus so why would they even inquire about it?

On the other hand, if you are aware of the referral bonus, either from a friend with an existing D* account that will be your referral or the numerous television adds that are run, then you should also be aware of the proper steps in receiving the said discount.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:06 PM

I would argue that someone not familiar with D* would not even know about the referral bonus so why would they even inquire about it?

On the other hand, if you are aware of the referral bonus, either from a friend with an existing D* account that will be your referral or the numerous television adds that are run, then you should also be aware of the proper steps in receiving the said discount.

That may be true, but if I refer a friend and give them the phone number and they are not familiar with DirecTV or the commercial, who's to say that they wouldn't find the DirecTV rep at Sam's Club to be reliable?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#13 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,140 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:22 PM

At least you got the credit DirecTv gave me the shaft Im still waiting its about 8 months

JACK,

#14 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

I went through AAA number and also received the "refer a friend" discount, back when it was $50 each. So I know it was possible to get it w/o calling the referral number.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#15 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:53 PM

That was also before DirecTV required you to call a specific number to get the discount (or at least before they enforced that rule).

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall