Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Protection package

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   calgary2800

calgary2800

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:27 PM

I am leasing my HD DVR receiver and HD receiver. If the leased receiver breaks is it covered by Direct or do I need to have purchased the 5.99 monthly protection plan. This is confusing and I feel if I call D up, they will give me different answers depending on who picks up the phone.

I have only had D for 1 month now. I read somewhere the HD DVR is covered by 1 year warranty.

So is the protection plan a good idea ?
Choice XTra
NHL Center Ice

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:38 PM

If a leased box breaks, Directv will replace it. If you have the protection plan, there is no cost, otherwise, you will be responsible for the shipping cost. The protection plan covers many other items like wiring, switches, lnb, dish alignments, etc.

:)

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:56 PM

Equipment comes with a 90 day warranty.

PP covers shipping for replacement leased equipment and it also covers the dish, wiring, switches, power inserters, etc.

I have it.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:59 PM

I don't have it.

I've never needed it.

#5 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

it's a definite YMMV thing. i have it and the hr20 died and i got another one quickly. But that one had a noisy drive that was obviously in bad shape so i called and got another one. if didnt have the plan i dont know if they would have just sent me out the 2nd replacement so easily and i dont know if i would have had to pay shipping. But i can say for this week, it paid me to have the plan.
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
HR10-250 63 hrs w/DB8 antenna (parts :))
1/2 full Sony T60 (historical value)

#6 OFFLINE   calgary2800

calgary2800

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:52 PM

I dont think I will add this protection package as I am leasing both my receivers and they are covered. I had dishnetwork for 4 years before this and only encounterd DVR blowups so the odds are with me.
Choice XTra
NHL Center Ice

#7 OFFLINE   Denman

Denman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:54 PM

5 dish realignments and two Satellite boxes replaced, the protection plan helped me but I am unlucky with electronics...YMYV.

#8 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:21 AM

Eleven years with d* never had and never needed it and if i had to pay out of the pocket for a repair i will still be way ahead of the game.

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:23 AM

If this offends anyone, so be it. I think not using the Protection Plan is foolish. I've saved enough money by using it many, many times over the years I've been with D* that I consider it an absolute necessity. And I can afford to not have it and pay for my own repairs, but I didn't get in that position by being foolish.

I don't get suckered into extended warranties on many things. My Caddies, the PP, a dishwasher. That's about it. All of them have paid for themselves over the years.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:35 AM

If this offends anyone, so be it. I think not using the Protection Plan is foolish. I've saved enough money by using it many, many times over the years I've been with D* that I consider it an absolute necessity. And I can afford to not have it and pay for my own repairs, but I didn't get in that position by being foolish.

Rich

+1. I have had it and used it several times, in fact one time I forgot that I had it and had a problem and the CSR told me it would be Free because I have the PP and I was so happy.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

Eleven years with d* never had and never needed it and if i had to pay out of the pocket for a repair i will still be way ahead of the game.

You are One Lucky Dude!!! :D
Here's My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:43 AM

The Protection plan is insurence. If you have it your covered. If you don't and **** happens your wallet gets lighter.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#13 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:44 AM

Particularly is your Dish goes out due to a Bad LNB or lightning strikes or whatever it is Great Insurance for piece of mind and a nearby lightning strike can cause alot of damage even if you have Surge Protection on all of your devices as I do.
Here's My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:50 AM

The Protection plan is insurence. If you have it your covered. If you don't and **** happens your wallet gets lighter.

During 2008, the PP rebuilt my complete system. From the dish, to the cables, to the switches, to the HRs. Many, many trucks rolled to my home and it was finally fixed. Would have cost a small fortune for all that work. The final cost? $0.00. I wouldn't be without it.

I realize a lot of folks are pinching pennies at the moment, but not having the PP is a case of being "Penny Wise and Pound Foolish" if I ever saw one.

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

Particularly is your Dish goes out due to a Bad LNB or lightning strikes or whatever it is Great Insurance for piece of mind and a nearby lightning strike can cause alot of damage even if you have Surge Protection on all of your devices as I do.

Peace of mind is worth every cent of that piddly fee for the PP.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:02 AM

During 2008, the PP rebuilt my complete system. From the dish, to the cables, to the switches, to the HRs. Many, many trucks rolled to my home and it was finally fixed. Would have cost a small fortune for all that work. The final cost? $0.00. I wouldn't be without it.

I realize a lot of folks are pinching pennies at the moment, but not having the PP is a case of being "Penny Wise and Pound Foolish" if I ever saw one.

Rich

In my 15 years with DirecTV I've had two receivers crap out and three dish issues addressed. All were covered 100% by the Protection Plan. Yet I have been ridiculed by some in the past for wasting my money. Where I live when the service tech's foot hits your driveway as he's getting out of his truck the cost is $85.00!

#17 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:03 AM

Over the years, I've a couple of dish alignments, had at least 4 or 5 receivers or DVRs die and need to be replaced, and have had to have a bad LNB replaced. I don't have the protection plan, and I've never paid anything for any of the above listed repairs/equipment replacements. Upon my request, DIRECTV has even waived any shipping charges for the replacement receivers and DVRs. On the other hand, I've read numerous posts from people with the protection plan who have tried to make a claim, have had the claim denied, and have had to pay for the same repairs/replacements that I and others have gotten at no charge without the protection plan.

Thus, considering that my experience is that I have been able to get anything done that needs to be done without the protection plan, I see no need to spend money every month for it. Further, anyone in sales of any product, including cars, appliances, electronics, etc. will tell you that any type of protection plan/extended warranty is the highest profit margin item that they can sell a customer.

On the other hand, I'm just as happy to see others allowing DIRECTV to make money on the protection plan because, without that profit, they might otherwise be having higher price increases for the rest of us.

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:09 AM

In my 15 years with DirecTV I've had two receivers crap out and three dish issues addressed. All were covered 100% by the Protection Plan. Yet I have been ridiculed by some in the past for wasting my money. Where I live when the service tech's foot hits your driveway as he's getting out of his truck the cost is $85.00!

I think it's down to about $50 in NJ now. But it adds up quickly. These threads keep popping up and few people seem willing to learn from our experiences.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:10 AM

Over the years, I've a couple of dish alignments, had at least 4 or 5 receivers or DVRs die and need to be replaced, and have had to have a bad LNB replaced. I don't have the protection plan, and I've never paid anything for any of the above listed repairs/equipment replacements. Upon my request, DIRECTV has even waived any shipping charges for the replacement receivers and DVRs. On the other hand, I've read numerous posts from people with the protection plan who have tried to make a claim, have had the claim denied, and have had to pay for the same repairs/replacements that I and others have gotten at no charge without the protection plan.

Thus, considering that my experience is that I have been able to get anything done that needs to be done without the protection plan, I see no need to spend money every month for it. Further, anyone in sales of any product, including cars, appliances, electronics, etc. will tell you that any type of protection plan/extended warranty is the highest profit margin item that they can sell a customer.

On the other hand, I'm just as happy to see others allowing DIRECTV to make money on the protection plan because, without that profit, they might otherwise be having higher price increases for the rest of us.

That's nice.

#20 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:17 AM

18 months ago my HD DVR was pixelating regardless of the weather conditions. Satellite signals were in the norm. Called DirecTV. They sent out a service tech. He comfirmed the problem was with the receiver. He did not have a replacement receiver and called DirecTV to have one shipped to me. Then handed me a bill for $85.00 (service call). After I showed him I had the Protection Plan the fee was waived. Depends on the situation.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...