Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Trying to connect a HD DVR and a SD DVR in the same house...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   greatguru2k

greatguru2k

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:06 AM

Hi guys been checking this site out for some time now, ran into a problem... I did the NFL sunday ticket install and got a HD DVR(HR24-200), a HD Receiver (H24-200), and 2 SD Receivers (D12-100). When the tech did the install he said with the new setups the HD DVR only needed one cable coming in instead of two. I came across a SD DVR (R15-300) that I wanted to added to the computer room. When I plugged it in the first setup screen (searching for satellite signal) completes but the second screen (receive program info) never leaves 0%. Granted I haven't activated this receiver yet and not expecting to get channels just wanting to make sure its not a lame duck receiver. When I checked signal strength I was only getting hits on odd transponders. Tried a forced software update and never left 0%. Any suggestions? Do I still need to feed two cables in, even though my HD DVR only needs one?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:13 AM

New customers with HD/MRV are installed with a Single Wire Multiswitch(SWiM) setup. With eight tuners or less most likely a SWiM LNB. R15s are not compatible with SWiM. To get the R15 to work would cost more than coming across an R16 or R22 which are compatible.

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:49 AM

New customers with HD/MRV are installed with a Single Wire Multiswitch(SWiM) setup. With eight tuners or less most likely a SWiM LNB. R15s are not compatible with SWiM. To get the R15 to work would cost more than coming across an R16 or R22 which are compatible.

Yep.

You have a couple options. You could stick up another dish (like a phase III) that you can snag almost every day for free on craigslist and use it just for that receiver. If you still have your old LNB with 4 outputs, you could get a SWM8 (used and cheap?) and connect your R15 to the legacy ports.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 OFFLINE   greatguru2k

greatguru2k

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:59 AM

Thanks you guys, both very helpful... Looks like I'm heading back to ebay because the only other receiver I have is a D10 and it doesn't even see the satellite. What are some sd receivers that are compatitble with my new setup? Doesn't have to be a DVR, just something that gets picture and is pretty cheap?

#5 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:02 AM

R16, R22, D12, H/HR20 & above

#6 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

Remember the 20 series has to be firmware 2042 and up...
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#7 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:51 PM

Remember the 20 series has to be firmware 2042 and up...

Moreover, don't buy an H20. :lol:
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

spam firewall