Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Coming Soon: The DISH Sling Adapter!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

I gather from the other forum that the Sling Adapter is going to be available soon http://www.satellite...ng-adapter.html I used the Connectivity Test Tool and got these results:

Home network:
Congratulations - you will be able to watch TV Everywhere with the ViP®922 SlingLoaded™ DVR.

However, to optimize your viewing experience, you may want to increase the speed of your home broadband connection. Review minimum system requirements from the link below.

Your computer:
Your computer meets the minimum requirements for TV Everywhere viewing.

System Recommendations for Video Streaming
Network Requirements HD Streaming Bandwidth of 3 Mbps or higher (same for upstream bandwidth for viewing from outside home network)
VGA Streaming Bandwidth of 600 Kbps or higher (same for upstream bandwidth for viewing from outside home network)
QVGA or Mobile Streaming Bandwidth of 150 Kbps or higher (same for upstream bandwidth for viewing from outside home network)
PC Requirements HD Streaming Intel 2.4 GHz Core 2 duo class processor with 2 GB of RAM
SD/QVGA Streaming Pentium IV class
Operating System Microsoft XP, Vista, or Windows 7
Mac Requirements HD Streaming Intel 2.8 GHz Core 2 duo class processor with 2 GB of RAM
SD/QVGA Streaming Same as HD
Operating System OS 10.5.7 or higher
Browser Specifications Internet Explorer Version 7 or higher
Fire Fox Version 3.5 or higher
Safari Version 4.0 or higher

Recommended Routers

1 Linksys WRT400N Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router
2 D-Link DGL-4500 Xtreme N Gaming Router
3 D-Link EBR-2310 Ethernet Broadband Router
4 Netgear RP614 Web Safe Router
5 Netgear WNDR3300 Rangemax Dual Band Wireless-N Router

It sounds like I need to run CAT-5 from my modem/router to the 722k and I should be all set. I am most interested in listening to local news during work on my lunch hour. I guess I can find a wi-fi hotspot or add data to my Android Garminfone. Since I am on T-Mobile and they offer 200MB data option for $10, does anybody know about how much TV I could watch with 200MB? I assume that I would go through that very quickly.

I was also thinking that this would be a neat application to use with an Android tablet. I know the Dell Streak (AKA Dell Mini 5) is available and the Samsung Galaxy Tab is starting to become available. I think that the price is still too high, but like many things electronic, the prices will come down. I think either a 5" or 7" tablet might be pretty nice for a little bit of DISH on the go!

Edited by Jim148, 13 November 2010 - 05:52 PM.
Details

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

You could buy the Virgin MiFi 2200 and get 1 Mbps anytime you are in a Sprint Data Zone and you get Unlimited Data and you can hook up to 5 PCs or whatever to this Air Card/WiFi Hub.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:28 AM

It sounds like I need to run CAT-5 from my modem/router to the 722k and I should be all set. I am most interested in listening to local news during work on my lunch hour. I guess I can find a wi-fi hotspot or add data to my Android Garminfone. Since I am on T-Mobile and they offer 200MB data option for $10, does anybody know about how much TV I could watch with 200MB? I assume that I would go through that very quickly.

There are a number of discussions around the web, but the common answer is "When connected to a mobile client the Slingbox will stream at about 150-256 Kbps. If my math is right that comes to about 66 - 113 MB per hour." Most people seem to be getting along within their 5GB and they love it.

You could buy the Virgin MiFi 2200 and get 1 Mbps anytime you are in a Sprint Data Zone and you get Unlimited Data and you can hook up to 5 PCs or whatever to this Air Card/WiFi Hub.

I use essentially the same device from Verizon with my wifi only iPad. In fact Verizon is now selling it that way:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CzsMSijofvc&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CzsMSijofvc&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Edited by phrelin, 14 November 2010 - 12:34 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:49 AM

There are a number of discussions around the web, but the common answer is "When connected to a mobile client the Slingbox will stream at about 150-256 Kbps. If my math is right that comes to about 66 - 113 MB per hour." Most people seem to be getting along within their 5GB and they love it.I use essentially the same device from Verizon with my wifi only iPad. In fact Verizon is now selling it that way:

Well, you are talking about Slingbox SD and not HD. If you are watching HD Streamed to your PC you would eat up that 5 GB LIMIT in a heartbeat. I have terrible PQ at anything lower than 400 kbps and it actually needs over 600 kbps to look good and 800 to look great and that is not HD but SD.

It all depends upon the Resolution of your Mobile Device. For HD you need at least 1 MB but preferably 1.5 MB or more.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:08 AM

Well, you are talking about Slingbox SD and not HD. If you are watching HD Streamed to your PC you would eat up that 5 GB LIMIT in a heartbeat. I have terrible PQ at anything lower than 400 kbps and it actually needs over 600 kbps to look good and 800 to look great and that is not HD but SD.

It all depends upon the Resolution of your Mobile Device. For HD you need at least 1 MB but preferably 1.5 MB or more.

I've been looking at this for an Android phone and in a thread on Android Forums which I'd recommend reading is this post:

You can configure bandwidth...current mobile players run between 100Kbs - 500Kbs.

and from this post:

My Moto Q would pull down ~250Kbs watching "HD channels" on its 320x240 screen. If I turned of "slingstream", I could set bandwidth as high as 400-450Kbs. FWIW, from someone who's calibrated his Panny plasma in the service menu, I'd say anything over 600Kbs on an EVO would look fine on an DInc...at least for an HD channel.

I don't know anything about this. I do know that the iPhone app on an iPad is definitely not the highest resolution when you blow it up to full screen, but looks fine at iPhone size.

Anyway there is discussion on that thread about Dish equipment.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:31 AM

Actually, when I am working I would like to be able to just get TV audio, but I suspect that with this configuration there is no way to just get audio from this.

#7 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:59 PM

The Sling Adapter is now listed on the Dish Store page. But it is out of stock. And according to the CSR I just spoke with the Store page is incorrect where it says the Adapter will work with a 622. He told me 722/722K only.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#8 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:36 PM

Someone on the other forum reported that he ordered this earlier today.

#9 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:49 PM

Still showing OOS on my account. Maybe he called and ordered as opposed to on line. Doesn't matter to me as my 622 isn't compatible.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#10 OFFLINE   daranman

daranman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:18 PM

The Sling Adapter is now listed on the Dish Store page. But it is out of stock. And according to the CSR I just spoke with the Store page is incorrect where it says the Adapter will work with a 622. He told me 722/722K only.

Ordered this morning (9am Pacific) and it was shipped today, so they must have stock.

#11 OFFLINE   jtallon

jtallon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:54 AM

Got my Dish Sling adapter today, for my 722 - just showed up via UPS.

It's very simple to hook up assuming you already have your 722 on the network. Literally you just plug in the sling adapter to the USB port - it popped up a message on the screen stating that a sling adapter had been installed and could now be used.

I'm still putzing with the configuration. I can view TV from the Dish website just fine, just like on my 922. But for some reason I can't connect to it from my iPad or iPhone - using both the old iPhone app, and the newly released iPad app. So some additional configuration must need to be done to get it to show up as a device for them...

Just figured I would let everybody know that they seem to be shipping, and at least initial configuration is very, very easy.

#12 OFFLINE   tpbrady

tpbrady

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:51 PM

Apparently the SlingBox App doesn't work with the Sling Adapter. Download the free DISH Remote Access App and it works well.

#13 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:12 PM

So if I'm reading this correctly, it won't work with a 622, but as far as DISH is concerned, "there is no difference" between a 622, 722, or 722K, so I can't call and get my 622 "upgraded" to a 722. I can only upgrade to a 922, for which I wouldn't need a sling adapter. And the TV Anywhere extender is still not available?
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#14 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:46 PM

Got my Dish Sling adapter today, for my 722 - just showed up via UPS.

It's very simple to hook up assuming you already have your 722 on the network. Literally you just plug in the sling adapter to the USB port - it popped up a message on the screen stating that a sling adapter had been installed and could now be used.

I'm still putzing with the configuration. I can view TV from the Dish website just fine, just like on my 922. But for some reason I can't connect to it from my iPad or iPhone - using both the old iPhone app, and the newly released iPad app. So some additional configuration must need to be done to get it to show up as a device for them...

Just figured I would let everybody know that they seem to be shipping, and at least initial configuration is very, very easy.

I got mine Wednesday and, just like your experience, it is dead simple and just works.

Apparently the SlingBox App doesn't work with the Sling Adapter. Download the free DISH Remote Access App and it works well.

That is also what I did.

So if I'm reading this correctly, it won't work with a 622, but as far as DISH is concerned, "there is no difference" between a 622, 722, or 722K, so I can't call and get my 622 "upgraded" to a 722. I can only upgrade to a 922, for which I wouldn't need a sling adapter. And the TV Anywhere extender is still not available?

That is a "FAIL" on the part of Dish as far as I am concerned. I actually went down that "path" this summer. Originally I wanted a 922, but changed my mind when I found out that there was no TV2 output. Then I decided that I wanted to upgrade from the 622 to the 722k. I was frustrated on the phone, but finally I talked to somebody that guaranteed I would get a 722k. He was wrong, however, and they sent me another 622! I called again and eventually got the 722k. After all that the over the air module was back ordered, so I had to buy that somewhere else.

I have read some other posts about the extender, but I don't think anybody knows the definitive answer to that one yet.

Edited by Jim148, 26 November 2010 - 01:54 PM.
Details

#15 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

:lol:

#16 OFFLINE   jtallon

jtallon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

I'm not sure I follow - on the iPhone and iPad the Dish Remote Access app only works as a remote control, not as an actual viewscreen for the video, right ? I think you NEED to use the SlingBox App for the iPhone / iPad. But it doesn't seem like either works with the Sling Adapter...

Or am I missing something ? I managed to log into a Sling account and manually add the Slingbox info based on what the Dish Network website says for my device, but it still doesn't work - it wants an 'admin password' configured', and whatever I put in the Sling website for the Sling Player doesn't work on the actual iPhone/iPad app... Hope that makes sense...

#17 OFFLINE   jtallon

jtallon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:42 AM

I figured out my issue - Dish actually updated their Dish Remote Access app for the iPhone/iPad to do streaming video, not just remote control of the DVR. Their prior version didn't do that - you had to use the stand alone 'Sling' player to allow remote video.

Wish I knew they did this update before I spent $30 on the special Sling iPad app that I don't need now.

Oh well - just figured I would post a follow-up in case anybody else is configured - if you have an iPhone or iPad and want to do remote streaming, be sure to get the Dish app, and the latest version of it !

Protected By... spam firewall...And...