Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

PPV too slow d/l can i cancel or will still be billed??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:50 PM

I ordered online but with my superslow dsl it wont download in time to be watched tonight and cant watch it tomorrow.

if i just stop it from the todo list will i still be billed?
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
HR10-250 63 hrs w/DB8 antenna (parts :))
1/2 full Sony T60 (historical value)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:54 PM

PPV is only billed when you watch it. If you havent watched it, you wont be billed.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:57 PM

It logs it to your access card, and your receiver reports it to DirecTv via your internet and/or phone connection.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

You can start watching while it downloads, too.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,263 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:54 PM

You can start watching while it downloads, too.

This may not work if it's downloading as slowly as the thread starter indicates. Again, though, no charge until watched. I don't know if the downloaded PPV's work the same way as those from the satellite, i.e. the first five minutes are free.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#6 OFFLINE   HammerHead001

HammerHead001

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

I too have had issues with DL speeds from DTV. My internet is consistently, 25 down and 3 up. I waited 30 min to allow the file to get to 6%. Canceled the request and went to another DVR with the same result.

I had never tried to DL a movie before. According to the wife, this happens all the time. She says that she has to start her request 2.5 hrs before on a movie that is 90 minutes in length to confirm no buffer by its end.

I called DTV, they said that the problem was not on their end and tested my connection. After being transferred around and a half hour on the phone I finally gave up.

Watching as it downloads in my experience is not possible... 20 minutes into the movie after waiting 30 min for it to download it buffers for a few minutes, plays, then buffers some more - FRUSTRATING!

My guess is that DTV just doesnt have the outbound bandwidth to support the requests.

#7 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:19 PM

I too have had issues with DL speeds from DTV. My internet is consistently, 25 down and 3 up. I waited 30 min to allow the file to get to 6%. Canceled the request and went to another DVR with the same result.

I had never tried to DL a movie before. According to the wife, this happens all the time. She says that she has to start her request 2.5 hrs before on a movie that is 90 minutes in length to confirm no buffer by its end.

I called DTV, they said that the problem was not on their end and tested my connection. After being transferred around and a half hour on the phone I finally gave up.

Watching as it downloads in my experience is not possible... 20 minutes into the movie after waiting 30 min for it to download it buffers for a few minutes, plays, then buffers some more - FRUSTRATING!

My guess is that DTV just doesnt have the outbound bandwidth to support the requests.

What ISP are you using? Is it possible they are throttling the connection when downloading from DirecTV? It is possible that DirecTV's servers would occasionally get bogged down. However, since you are seeing this problem consistantly, and there haven't been widespread reports of this kind of problem (extremely slow download on a verified fast connect), that would seem to point to a more unique issue with your setup or ISP.
DogLover

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:51 PM

I had this same problem the last time I watched one. I started the movie about 1 hour after the dl started and still had multiple issue with bufferring during the last 1/4 of the movie. Actually had to stop watching for awhile.

During the time the moving I was downloading I ran a speed test and was still getting most of the 12/1 speeds. I can't see how the speed issue is on my ISP end if the dl isn't even chewing up my own bandwidth.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...