Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any advantage keeping my Sony A4?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wall-e

wall-e

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:57 AM

I have a Sony A4 (SD, single tuner, non-dvr, no apg) I use in a back bedroom on occasion. Also have a HR22, R22, and HR10-250 that are used a majority of the time.

I know it is only $5/month to keep the Sony A4 active, but is there any advantage to keeping it around? It no longer gets NFL Sunday Ticket which is no big deal since I have the other units.

The only advantage I see is that it takes about 30 seconds to restart after a power cycle.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:37 AM

I have a Sony A4 (SD, single tuner, non-dvr, no apg) I use in a back bedroom on occasion. Also have a HR22, R22, and HR10-250 that are used a majority of the time.

I know it is only $5/month to keep the Sony A4 active, but is there any advantage to keeping it around? It no longer gets NFL Sunday Ticket which is no big deal since I have the other units.

The only advantage I see is that it takes about 30 seconds to restart after a power cycle.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

There's no advantage at this point to keep it active. You could pretty much get DirecTV to replace the unit for free at this point. Actually most long time customers could get a free SD, HD or even possibly an HD dvr as a free upgrade with a new 2 year commitment which would run you ZERO more per month in terms of your monthly billing then you are paying now.

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:19 AM

I would bet it is an owned receiver. Why not shut it off and hang onto it? A quick phone call turns it back on when you are ready to use it, and another quick call shuts it off and saves you $ until you want to use it again.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:39 AM

I still have my ORIGINAL Hughes receiver active on my account (installed in December 2000!). It is used in my computer room hooked up to a small stereo system for the sole purpose of enjoying Sonic Tap. The new SD receivers do not continuously display the title/artist info which makes this receiver perfect for what I am using it for. You can't even get an extra XM receiver for $5 a month anymore (which is why I am disconnecting that service when my current sub runs out).

With all the discussion lately of DirecTV not activating legacy receivers that weren't previously on your account, it stands to reason that one of these days they are going to introduce a program to get these old receivers off the network entirely. That's fine with me but I'm not going to let them "upgrade" my Hughes and stick me with a new 2 year commitment when I can switch to that "other" satellite service and upgrade to FREE HD, new equipment, and a great rate for the first year.... ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

spam firewall