Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How are VOD movie dowloaded to the receiver

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:14 PM

Are VOD movies downloaded to the receiver via the SAT signal or Ethernet?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,968 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:22 PM

Post deleted by poster.

He's on Dish...This is under the Dish subforum, bud. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:23 PM

He's on Dish...This is under the Dish subforum, bud. ;)

Dang, didn't catch that, post deleted. Thanks

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

The answer still might be both...

The "watch immediately" On-Demand stuff from Dish (also appearing on channel 1/501 in the EPG) are downloaded via satellite during the overnight when the receiver is in standby.

Other "on demand" programs are available through Dish Online and those download via your broadband connection.

Sometimes the same movies are available via both methods, while others are exclusive to one method or the other.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:18 PM

It is kinda weird. One of my 722's is not connected via Ethernet and has all the VOD listed in the EPG. The other 722k has an Ethernet cable pluged in and I only see 3 VOD movies. The receivers are both turned off at night and my update is scheduled for 3am. I have already done a reset and check switch on both of them. I do not know why one receiver has more VOD's than the other.

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:25 AM

VOD's that show up on your program guide on channel 501 are downloaded to your boxes, but not on any discernible schedule I could see watching my two boxes. Over time they both will end up with most of the same ones, but it takes time.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:25 AM

I did post when/what channel using for VOD - search for "FVOD" here ...

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:26 PM

Lots of things can interfere with the VOD-via-satellite... If you have timers set during the times when it would have been getting movies, then it stops... or if you have a power flicker or receiver reboot... or if you have any interference with signal that causes it to drop too low...

It can take a bit for a receiver to catch-up and get the available EPG-VOD. I honestly cannot remember how long it took the last time I got a new receiver... but I know it took at least a few days... maybe a week before it was showing as much as my other receivers.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

During night hours, FVOD [Forward/Forced (?) VOD] could provide 6+ movies if not interrupted ...

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:22 PM

During night hours, FVOD [Forward/Forced (?) VOD] could provide 6+ movies if not interrupted ...

Using that as a gauge, then under perfect circumstances it would take a 622 a couple of days to "fully" populate... while receivers like the 922 could take 4-5 days.

I have about a dozen movies on my 622 (last time I checked) but over 2 dozen on my 922.

Then if you factor in possible interruptions OR if you are staying up late instead of leaving the receiver in standby... and it could easily take a week or more to get all that is available.

#11 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:27 PM

I know this is a slightly off topic question. But does the directv cinema/vod via satellite work the same way? As in all of those movies on the cinema channels. And available to watch instantly? Sorry if this is too off topic.
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:43 PM

At least FVOD is using IP protocol ie higher rate then normal MPEG-4/H.264 PPV channel(s).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...