Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

RVing with AU9 SL3-B

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RWeis

RWeis

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:19 PM

I could use some help in getting the AU9 SL3-B setup done.

I have a Super Buddy comming so getting the 101 should not be difficult in AZ & EL and should peak just fine. I know that the 99 & 103 do not give signal strength (Ka).

Do you still skew for the 99 & 103? Just take the dishpointer values and use that skew?

Is there a way to optimize the 99 & 103 without signal strength?

I think that if I put a BBC before the Super Buddy the 99 Ka low and 103 Ka low will give signal strength. Right?

Bob Weis

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BennyGregg

BennyGregg

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:23 PM

Bob, you are going to get replies from a lot of people who have more expertise than me. But I'll tell you my experience. I use a Phase III dish and an SL3 lnb when we RV. I do not have much trouble setting it up to get acceptable strength levels - 101 at 80-90; 99 and 103 at 65-75. Lousy 99 and 103 readings for a Slimline dish at home, but OK for the smaller Phase III in an RV application.

I have an Acutrac iii meter which reads 99 and 103 strength. I could not get acceptable readings with a meter that just reads 101.

I very carefully establish a plumb mast, and then very carefully point the dish at the right magnetic azimuth reading. I set the elevation and skew according to Dishpointer. I peak 101 with azimuth and elevation adjustments, then even up the readings on 99 and 103 by making very slight azimuth changes. That's it. It sounds harder than it is; I can get it all set up within 15 minutes or so.

#3 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

I did this for the first time tailgating yesterday. Easy you really dont even need a meter. Preset your skew and elevation. Peak 101 and thats it. Biggest thing is to make sure the mast is plumb, peak 101 in the high 90's and everything else should fall into place. Get your presets from dishpointer.com

spam firewall