Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Searching for Satellite signal on locals today

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mjm76

mjm76

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:30 PM

I had a strange problem this afternoon while watching my local fox station via DirecTV. It started about 1/2 hour into the game, I was periodically getting searching for satellite signal and the picture was cutting out. I was watching Fox 2 out of St. Louis and watching the Rams 49ers game. It was very annoying so I switched to my antenna and watch via OTA same channel with no problems. I would periodically switch back and still would get periodical drop outs, then in the last hour of the game it was a constant 'searching for satellite signal via DirecTV Fox 2. I checked my other local channels and they all had the same problem. I also checked other DirecTV channels (200s, 500s) but no problems were found with the signal. Since I was watching the game I did not get up and check my other TVs to see if they were experiencing the problem.

Anyone here have any ideas what my problem might be? Tonight all my local stations via direcTV are fine with no searching for signal on the screen.

Thanks for anybody's help. :)

PS: I have a HR24-500 and a 5LNB side car dish.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:16 PM

So I was NOT the ONLY one huh??? Yeah I also had the Rams game on channel 2 and like you it was cruddy as hell!!! It kept pixilating and like you said "searching for satellite signal" I did notice though that this wasn't happening to the SD signals. It was only going on with the HD channels. So after getting frustrated, I gave the hell in and watched part of the game on the SD channel. By the end of the game including OT then the HD transmissions appeared to have cleared up.

#3 OFFLINE   mjm76

mjm76

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:08 AM

So I was NOT the ONLY one huh??? Yeah I also had the Rams game on channel 2 and like you it was cruddy as hell!!! It kept pixilating and like you said "searching for satellite signal" I did notice though that this wasn't happening to the SD signals. It was only going on with the HD channels. So after getting frustrated, I gave the hell in and watched part of the game on the SD channel. By the end of the game including OT then the HD transmissions appeared to have cleared up.

sunfire9us,

Thanks for the response. WOW! This is something I was not expecting. I was thinking something was definitely wrong with my DirecTV dish or receiver.
Since you were having the same problem maybe it was something to do with DirecTV local St. Louis feeds on Sunday.

I sure would like to hear from some more people on this problem we had and suggestions on what to do about it.

#4 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:36 AM

I don't know if I'm wrong or what but I wasn't sure if it could be a case where they are moving the STL locals onto a different transponder or perhaps satellite? I went as far as restarting my dvr just to see if things needed cleared out when it came to those cruddy signals. Of course nothing changed

#5 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:52 AM

Did you call your Local Station and talk to an engineer???

How could the local station fix a "searching for sat" ? :confused:

#6 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:16 AM

How could the local station fix a "searching for sat" ? :confused:

My Bad. I was thinking about something else.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   grog

grog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:24 AM

Same problem here with 2.1 Fox last night.

We are also in St. Louis.

Did a quick hook up of OTA so my wife would not miss the entire game. OTA was fine!
Philips 47" 1080p LCD HDTV 47pfl7422d/37
Philips 42" 1080p LCD HDTV 42pfl3704D
Magnavox 32" 720p LCD HDTV 32MF338B/27
Magnavox 720p 19" LCD
2x DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (HR24-200 with 1TB ESATA via Thermaltake BlacX external dock), 2x DIRECTV® HD Receiver (H24-200), 1 DIRECTV® Slimline Dish, MRV with Deca CINEMAplus

#8 OFFLINE   kovach

kovach

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:07 AM

I had the same issues.

#9 OFFLINE   kovach

kovach

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:05 PM

Also had a similar issue with Animal Planet a week or so ago. Not sure if the two are related.

#10 OFFLINE   Chazb

Chazb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:09 PM

Same problem here atleast my OTA worked and the digital channel was not a problem.It seemed to be a HD issue with direct.

#11 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:25 PM

Same problem here atleast my OTA worked and the digital channel was not a problem.It seemed to be a HD issue with direct.

Yeah that was my guess too because the SD channels were not messed up like the HD channels

#12 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

Yes, I have also see this and it happened again today about 12:05pm.

#13 OFFLINE   hdgreg

hdgreg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:35 PM

I had it on my locals today. HR21-100. I did a reset and it stopped...:confused:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...