Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I allow a roof mount?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cowboy56

cowboy56

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:24 AM

I'm switching from Comcast to Dish this week and I see most mounts in my neighborhood are on the roof. I am just concerned about screwing holes in the roof. My fascia is not strong enough for a mount.
Back when I had Direct TV, I had mounted my dish directly onto my electrical mast coming through the roof using stainless steel U-clamps and it withstood hurricane Charlie. Do you think the installer would use that method again, or would that be a no-no being that close to electrical lines?
I guess the mount being above the overhang should be fine but I'm just uncomfortable about putting holes in a new roof.

Great Forum, Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:55 AM

A roof that has no holes is only that way until someone puts holes in it. Regardless of the bull on the tube of the goop or tape or sealer the installer uses to seal the holes they just made, a roof with no holes doesn't leak. No holes in the roof for me... under NO circumstances. JMO

No installer in his/her right mind around here would EVER install ANYTHING on the power drop pole. Might be a code violation, but in the least it is just plain STUPID.

There's always the pole in the ground solution.

Edited by subeluvr, 17 November 2010 - 09:10 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:20 AM

There are several options where to mount the dish (roof, side of building, ground pole, ect) but your line of site will dictate where best to mount your dish. As you can see I've been with DirecTV for 15 years. All of my dish's were mounted on the roof. Not one leak to date! As long as the support braces and plate are screwed into the rafters and sealed you will have no problems. Many homes dictate that the gutters be attached using hangers that are nailed into the roof and sealed. As long as the screws are sealed properly you won't have a problem.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:06 AM

I'm switching from Comcast to Dish this week and I see most mounts in my neighborhood are on the roof. I am just concerned about screwing holes in the roof. My fascia is not strong enough for a mount.
Back when I had Direct TV, I had mounted my dish directly onto my electrical mast coming through the roof using stainless steel U-clamps and it withstood hurricane Charlie. Do you think the installer would use that method again, or would that be a no-no being that close to electrical lines?
I guess the mount being above the overhang should be fine but I'm just uncomfortable about putting holes in a new roof.

Great Forum, Thanks.

Thanks for stopping by. At DISH Network, we consider roof mounts to be the last resort. We have mounts for walls, eaves, exposed rafters, poles, etc. As was said earlier, Line of Sight will have a lot to say about where it is installed, but roofs are not the only option. Also, we are never supposed to mount on a roof over a living area (overhangs, etc.). And regarding the electrical drop, my techs would get written up for trying something like that, extreme violation of safety rules. I'm guessing in FL, with the high "look angle" to the satellites, Line Of Sight should be easy to find, even not on the roof. Good Luck!
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of Dish Network.

#5 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,362 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:06 AM

...As long as the screws are sealed properly you won't have a problem.

Neither you, the OP or the installer can guarantee that a roof mount won't leak at some point. I would NEVER allow a roof mount on my house where there is another option, but then, I would never choose a residence location where there was no LOS other than from the roof.

And it's 'line of sight', not site -- as in "The site (location) must provide a clear line of sight (view) to the satellite."

Edited by Nick, 17 November 2010 - 10:12 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

Putting the dish over the "eve" or overhang is always the best option if a roof mount is the only line of sight........drilling into a roof is... and eventually will become problematic........
40 years as a General Contractor has taught me (several for sure things).........
Thank you and
Best of luck

#7 OFFLINE   davejacobson

davejacobson

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

Oh the old dont mount anything to my roof thread.A properly mounted dish on your roof will not leak.Ive been mounting dishes and antennas on roofs for 20yrs. No complaints ever about my installs leaking. And believe me if my install would have caused problems we would hear about it.I have taken down antenna installations that were so bad I dont know how they didn't leak,but they didn't. I have reinstalled dishes that the roofers have butchered still no leaks.Does a leak happen from improper install yes,but its not that often so don't worry to much about it.Depending on LOS and what type of siding on you house roof mount while the last choice may be the only choice. Mounting to the electrical mast NO WAY. Do you have roof vents = holes do you have plumbing vent=holes. What to they do around them flashing and caulking.The holes for your dish mount are alot smaller.

Edited by davejacobson, 17 November 2010 - 10:10 AM.
added comment

A good serviceman is not expensive or free. He is priceless

#8 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

Neither you, the OP or the installer can guarantee that a roof mount won't leak at some point. I would NEVER allow a roof mount where there is another option.

And it's 'line of sight', not site -- as in "The site (location) must provide a clear line of sight (view) to the satellite."

Wow Nick, I had no idea you were the "Grammar Police". Do you want a note from my father for my error? :rolleyes:

Edited by MysteryMan, 17 November 2010 - 10:30 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:16 AM

Sounds like you got off with just a warning this time. :)
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:29 AM

Long before cable and satellite millions of people all over the globe mounted over the air antennas on their roof to receive television transmissions. I don' recall a epidemic of leaking roofs being a result!

#11 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• 534 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:06 AM

Oh the old dont mount anything to my roof thread.A properly mounted dish on your roof will not leak.Ive been mounting dishes and antennas on roofs for 20yrs.

Installers scream that holes in roofs are OK and roofers love to void warranties when they are called to repair holes in roofs.

The number of times that something is done wrong never makes it right way to do it.

The number of times that something is done wrong simply sustains the stupidity of the people who continue to do it the wrong way and their lack of respect for other people's property .

#12 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:12 AM

:rolleyes:

#13 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:40 AM

There are probably already many things sticking out of your roof. I doubt a dish installation will be more prone to leaking then any of the other holes already there.

#14 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:42 AM

I promise you, your roof is FULL of holes. How else do you think those shingles or tiles are attached? Talk to any roofer, and they'll tell you the same.

Posted Image

While I don't tell you it was always the case, these days pretty much all satellite techs know how to properly seal roof penetrations, as QCs for both DirecTV and Dish have been pretty harsh for the last few years. In most cases, installers should be (and will be) using "Bishop Tape", which is a plasticized asphalt roof sealer that comes in strips or on a roll that is cut into strips. It is the right product for the job, and in 7 years of installing, I've only had a single roof-leak claim, company-wide, and my company does around 4,500 installs a year. And the one claim was completely bogus; we mounted the dish on the fascia on the left side of the building and the roof leaks on the claim were on the right side of the house. I'd say that's a pretty good track record.

Other asphault-based products, such as Henry's roof tar, are also fine, but messy and harder to work with.

Aside from the sealant, it is also important that the installer pre-drills and that he hits a stud with either the centerline bolt-holes (preferred) or the top bolt holes (if not mounting over a vertical-running rafter). Longer bolts (2.5-3") should be used for those than the other 4, as you need to get into the stud. You don't want the mast foot attached only to the plywood, as the wind will move the mast around and over time cause a leak.

And, whenever possible, the dish should be installed on the overhang, rather than directly over the living space, though some houses have no overhang. If installed on the overhang, even if it did ever leak, it would be leaking OUTSIDE.

Following these basic rules, which is how all techs are taught, will prevent leaks from ever being a problem.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#15 OFFLINE   Driver_1

Driver_1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:58 PM

I promise you, your roof is FULL of holes. How else do you think those shingles or tiles are attached?

What I was looking for...

I don't think you could FORCE water through the bolt hole, probably not even with vacuum pressure from the inside?

#16 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:17 PM

What I was looking for...

I don't think you could FORCE water through the bolt hole, probably not even with vacuum pressure from the inside?

You'd be wrong.

Although you may "seal the holes" during installation with tar tape, the dish ends up being the actual cause of leakage. The dish will be a resistance factor on windy/stormy days. Slowly but surely the dish wobbles from side to side slowly wallering out those holes which in turn causes leaks down the line. How long this may take depends on how sever the wind is as well as how and where the dish is secured relating to your roof line. It could be days to several years before a problem could make itself apparent. Just simply avoiding a rood mount would stop any potential problems from taking place altogether (such as actual roof damage, matted/useless insulation and eventually drywall saturation causing mold, mildew and or total collapse depending on the amount of water being infiltrated).

#17 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• 534 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:26 PM

I promise you, your roof is FULL of holes. How else do you think those shingles or tiles are attached? Talk to any roofer, and they'll tell you the same.

Yea, talk to any roofer and they'll tell you that exactly what nails can be used, how long they will be, and WHERE they are driven through the shingle is specified in the code.

Not like a dish installer whose had (how much?) training (and by whom) will use lag bolts often missing studs and de-laminating the sheathing underneath the roof. Dish installers are oblivious to the code requirements and skills of roofing and frankly, shouldn't be permitted to touch a roof with any pointed object.

Driver_1,

Water won't be forced down the lag bolt it will WICK down the lag bolt.

#18 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:21 PM

Please cite (acknowledge) the source of your definitions. :D
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#19 OFFLINE   cowboy56

cowboy56

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. I guess I'll see what the tech want's to do. About every Direct TV and Dish installation down here is right on the roof with no support brackets and I'm sure not fastened into the truss.
I guess that's why they call it Flori-Dah!
The house is block and stucco so a wall mount would be great, however the wires are already on the wrong side of the house to get a clear shot sky.

#20 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,362 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:19 PM

[quote name='cowboy56']Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. I guess I'll see what the tech want's to do.[quote] Go ahead and consult with the installer, but remember, it's your money and your house, not the tech's. [quote]About every Direct TV and Dish installation down here is right on the roof with no support brackets and I'm sure not fastened into the truss. I guess that's why they call it Flori-Dah![/quote]Dare to be different -- do what's best for you. And it's Flori-duh!

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...