Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I allow a roof mount?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:45 AM

I live and own property in a rural area of NorCal. Quality rentals are at a premium these days in my area. My renters have been in residence an average of 7 years. Then again we only rent 6 homes. I would imagine the apartment business is much different as would be a more urban area.
The issue of service people has always been problematic......fortunately for me I do all that myself, or at least oversee the work. Some roof installs/installers are true pros, some are hacks, some are kids who don't know squat....that's where I have always come in offering guidance and assistance if needed to all, regardless if they like it or not...so far so good.
Thank you and
Best of luck

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   janeslogin

janeslogin

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:13 PM

Someone here claims that dish-installer-made-my-roof-leak-caused-20k-of-damage.

Note the story was posted by "anonymous"

#28 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,430 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

Now this from Complainers Anonymous:

"Dish has too many channels -- they won't all fit in my tv set.
Some channels even leaked on the floor and wet my slippers"

~ 13 Years on DBSTalk ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#29 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

Mount it on the ground. I mounted my Directv Slimline on the ground. Dug hole and cemented pole. I mounted the dish and had an installer do a side job and align it for $20. This will make realigns easy but I doubt it because it sits between my house and next door neighboors so wind will no be factor. Good luck.

#30 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,416 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:08 PM

The power company made a whole in the side of my house... the phone company did too.

What will happen!

:D

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,362 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:11 AM

The power company made a whole in the side of my house... the phone company did too.

Roofs are different than the side of the house. My power drop does come through a hole in the roof (near the eves with a pipe coming down to the meter box on the outside of the house - then another pipe going inside to the breaker panel). But those holes were NOT put there by the power company. They were put there by the contractor who built the house. The power company came by later and tied their drop in to the wires left by the electrical contractor.

Not so much care goes in to the temporary installation of a dish.

#32 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,416 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:32 PM

Roofs are different than the side of the house. My power drop does come through a hole in the roof (near the eves with a pipe coming down to the meter box on the outside of the house - then another pipe going inside to the breaker panel). But those holes were NOT put there by the power company. They were put there by the contractor who built the house. The power company came by later and tied their drop in to the wires left by the electrical contractor.

Not so much care goes in to the temporary installation of a dish.

I mentioned it in jest... but for full disclosure...

Rain can leak from the walls too... especially those driving sideways kind of rainstorms!

Also... the holes in the side of my house for cable/phone are actually just big holes with some of that clear "caulk" kind of sealant around after the cables were fed through. Honestly not very well sealed at all. IF it weren't for the fact that the entry point is in my unfinished garage, I would actually be concerned about leaks from there much moreso than on my roof-mounted dishes.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#33 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:27 PM

You guys are misunderstanding me. The hole is on the ground to mount the the pole for the dish, not the house. it's inevitable about holes being drilled to the structure. Mount the dish to the ground and then figure out where you want the cable to enter the house.

#34 OFFLINE   billcg

billcg

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:37 PM

When my dish was installed many years ago, the center of the roof was the only place that would work. The installer refused to mount it driectly on the roof. The solution was a metal pad and two cinder blocks, I think it came from Weinguard and cost about $100. It has never been a problem.
1000-2 dish (110 119 129)
2 XIP813 Installed 9/5/1012
Sony 52" LCD (KDL-52WL135) (2008)
Sony 32" LCD (KDL-32S3000) (2007)

#35 OFFLINE   grog

grog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:03 AM

I am not worried about the roof issue. Both Dish and DirecTV have been on my roof and both installed mounts very professionally.

The way I see it. My roof has maybe 15 to 20 years left before we need to replace it. I don't expect the dish mounts to cause any issues within that time frame.

I actually like the new DirecTV dish the best since it only has a single wire from the dish all the way into the house. A lot better than the massive about of wires the Dish version had going to the DPP44. Don't get me wrong here. I think the DPP44 setup is a fine piece of technology but the DirecTV Slimline Dish with a single wire is just plain awesome.

Where I do see a need to address dish mount installs is with multi-tenant dwellings.

Posted Image

At least for apartments this may be changing soon!

DirecTV to launch lower-cost apartment system
Associated Press, 11.10.10, 06:21 PM EST

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- DirecTV said Wednesday that it has successfully tested technology that allows it to install one or two satellite dishes on top of an apartment building that will serve multiple customers with its full suite of products. The new method saves costs and reduces the number of dishes required to be installed.

The system worked in Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles and Boise, Idaho, and the company plans to roll it out nationwide next year.

The technology works by delivering the satellite signal over a single wire to a lockbox that houses a 32-channel switch that transmits signals over the building's existing coaxial cables.

http://www.rapidtvne...t-dwellers.html

http://www.forbes.co...agebusinessnews

I would expect Dish to also follow up with similar offering.

Ah.

Sophisticated is one of that last words that comes to mind when thinking about all the rent houses my parents have. Usually clean isn't there either.

Dad is always mad when a new dish pops up without his permission. This is when not having a roof mount is important. Sure, most are mounted on the roof and don't have any leaks. But when it is a rent house, people come and go and they also switch providers. That is either a lot of little dish feet all over the roof or a bunch of holes. Don't even get me started on cabling, switches, splitters, etc...

Philips 47" 1080p LCD HDTV 47pfl7422d/37
Philips 42" 1080p LCD HDTV 42pfl3704D
Magnavox 32" 720p LCD HDTV 32MF338B/27
Magnavox 720p 19" LCD
2x DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (HR24-200 with 1TB ESATA via Thermaltake BlacX external dock), 2x DIRECTV® HD Receiver (H24-200), 1 DIRECTV® Slimline Dish, MRV with Deca CINEMAplus

#36 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,362 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:04 AM

At least for apartments this may be changing soon!

I would expect Dish to also follow up with similar offering.

DISH already has a MDU offering ... and has had one for several years.

#37 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 745 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:12 AM

I'd rather have a pole mount on the ground anyway. You can easily brush snow off of it.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#38 OFFLINE   axg9504

axg9504

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:20 PM

I'm considering leaving Directv for Dish.

Directv has brackets all over my roof (3 to date) where they incorrectly positioned the dish. It is now moved from the far edge of the roof over the garage to the near end (facing the street) but they didn't bother to change the cable route, it streaks all the way across the roof (yes I'm an idiot for putting up with it).

Anyway, somebody here said that Dish has various mounts, is there a mount that could hold the current dish (1000.4??) screwed to the fascia board at the edge of the roof?

My view to the South only accomodates the DTV channels (around 100 I believe). I have trees and fortunately there is a gap between the trees where the DTV sats are. 3 years ago I was told by Dish installer I could not have it because their birds were low and more to the east of DTV's Sats. I am told now that things have changed.

If I am getting DTV with strong signal on all channels currently will Dish work for me?

Thanks.

#39 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:14 PM

http://www.dishpointer.com

Enter your address, zoom in, reposition the pointer to where your dish is on your roof, and then pull down the angles for 61.5, 72.5, and 77. Those are the orbital locations for the Eastern Arc sats. That should give you an idea of what you can get.

DirecTV is on 101.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#40 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,416 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:01 PM

Regarding the hole-in-the-roof thing... what about people who get solar panels installed? They should have more problems with leaking if this was such a difficult thing to do.

I grant you that some installers might not be experienced at their jobs... but a roof-mount shouldn't inherently be a bad thing on principle.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#41 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:50 AM

Never, never drill or cut into a roof. Mount the unit on the ground or the side of the building. :nono:
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#42 OFFLINE   axg9504

axg9504

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:54 AM

This dishpointer is neat. It confirms that I can't get the positions you mentioned 50-70. That is in the thick of the woods. Now why is the dealer telling me that's OK we can use the satellites around 101?

#43 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:22 AM

Never, never drill or cut into a roof. ...

And never nail a picture hook to the wall. :rolleyes:

#44 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,250 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:45 AM

And never nail a picture hook to the wall. :rolleyes:

Next thing you know they'll be saying the "Great Flood" was caused by Noah because he mounted something on his roof! :rolleyes:

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#45 OFFLINE   axg9504

axg9504

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:49 AM

Can anybody tell me about any nice decorative whatchamacallits that you could use around a dish mounted on a pole (about 4 ft) in the yard that might make it look a little more acceptable. Actually it won't be seen from the street since it will go in front of a bush. It will be seen from the house. Maybe I could recess it into the bush (globe arboretum) and trim around the dish. Presently it is on my roof.

Also is it OK to just spade and bury the cable, does it not need a conduit. Installer says no need. Thanks.

#46 OFFLINE   photogman

photogman

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

First time poster here.....I am going to put Dish Network, internet microwave dish, local terrestrial TV antenna, weather station, and small ham antenna on same tower to keep everything neat. With new home I was not about to punch a hole through the roof or through brick.

Posted Image

#47 OFFLINE   Mugsy

Mugsy

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:12 PM

I am new to this site and just thought I would pitch in my 2 cents. I know this thread is a little old, but it may be useful information to anyone with the same problem. From my experience and being a contractor all of my life, I would shy away from stick four bolts in my roof and taring them.(Tho I have seen it many times) You CAN, however, still mount your dish on your roof!!! Have used these a few times and work great! They are the same thing as your plumbing roof boots. Sry I can't post the full URL because I'm new, but just search for dish roof mounts(And not the tripods)

sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Commdeck/Commdeck_Dish_Mount. Put htm and the end

#48 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:15 PM

First time poster here.....I am going to put Dish Network, internet microwave dish, local terrestrial TV antenna, weather station, and small ham antenna on same tower to keep everything neat. With new home I was not about to punch a hole through the roof or through brick.

Must be great to have a location like that where a 20' tower has 50 mile LOS. :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#49 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:18 PM

Sry I can't post the full URL because I'm new, but just search for dish roof mounts(And not the tripods)

http://www.sadoun.co..._Dish_Mount.htm

Here is your link.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#50 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,416 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:33 PM

Now that's a horse of a different color... IF I were considering installing that much equipment, then I'd look into a tower too. You can get much higher that way, and given the amount of stuff you are installing, it makes the tower investment pay off.

I would definitely go that way if I were putting up multiple things.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

Protected By... spam firewall...And...