Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I allow a roof mount?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:50 AM

Never, never drill or cut into a roof. Mount the unit on the ground or the side of the building. :nono:
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   axg9504

axg9504

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:54 AM

This dishpointer is neat. It confirms that I can't get the positions you mentioned 50-70. That is in the thick of the woods. Now why is the dealer telling me that's OK we can use the satellites around 101?

#43 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:22 AM

Never, never drill or cut into a roof. ...

And never nail a picture hook to the wall. :rolleyes:

#44 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,911 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:45 AM

And never nail a picture hook to the wall. :rolleyes:

Next thing you know they'll be saying the "Great Flood" was caused by Noah because he mounted something on his roof! :rolleyes:

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#45 OFFLINE   axg9504

axg9504

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:49 AM

Can anybody tell me about any nice decorative whatchamacallits that you could use around a dish mounted on a pole (about 4 ft) in the yard that might make it look a little more acceptable. Actually it won't be seen from the street since it will go in front of a bush. It will be seen from the house. Maybe I could recess it into the bush (globe arboretum) and trim around the dish. Presently it is on my roof.

Also is it OK to just spade and bury the cable, does it not need a conduit. Installer says no need. Thanks.

#46 OFFLINE   photogman

photogman

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

First time poster here.....I am going to put Dish Network, internet microwave dish, local terrestrial TV antenna, weather station, and small ham antenna on same tower to keep everything neat. With new home I was not about to punch a hole through the roof or through brick.

Posted Image

#47 OFFLINE   Mugsy

Mugsy

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:12 PM

I am new to this site and just thought I would pitch in my 2 cents. I know this thread is a little old, but it may be useful information to anyone with the same problem. From my experience and being a contractor all of my life, I would shy away from stick four bolts in my roof and taring them.(Tho I have seen it many times) You CAN, however, still mount your dish on your roof!!! Have used these a few times and work great! They are the same thing as your plumbing roof boots. Sry I can't post the full URL because I'm new, but just search for dish roof mounts(And not the tripods)

sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Commdeck/Commdeck_Dish_Mount. Put htm and the end

#48 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:15 PM

First time poster here.....I am going to put Dish Network, internet microwave dish, local terrestrial TV antenna, weather station, and small ham antenna on same tower to keep everything neat. With new home I was not about to punch a hole through the roof or through brick.

Must be great to have a location like that where a 20' tower has 50 mile LOS. :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#49 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:18 PM

Sry I can't post the full URL because I'm new, but just search for dish roof mounts(And not the tripods)

http://www.sadoun.co..._Dish_Mount.htm

Here is your link.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#50 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:33 PM

Now that's a horse of a different color... IF I were considering installing that much equipment, then I'd look into a tower too. You can get much higher that way, and given the amount of stuff you are installing, it makes the tower investment pay off.

I would definitely go that way if I were putting up multiple things.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...