Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TOP THIS!!! ... (you won't)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Driver_1

Driver_1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

I just called to cancel service, and the rep said no problem, your final bill will be $11 plus change. "We'll send you a box for you to return the receiver".

:confused:

They can send a box if they want to, but this receiver is going back on eBay where I bought it in '09. And I told her so. She wouldn't back down from the computer records :rolleyes: . She said for me to fax or mail the records showing this. I have them all - PayPal TX details, eBay TX details, credit card TX entry, etc.

Proving that it's mine won't be a problem. What IS the problem, is

1) Where did this info come from? (they had other incorrect info too, but it didn't come down to more $$ ...)
2) When they DO get it right, what kinds of problems will I run into when I sell, and the new buyer tries to activate?

#2 could be a major headache. Negative feedback, return postage, etc. :nono2:

If you CAN top this, post up on it...

Sir RANCELOT out!

(My 625 is for sale, with spare HDD's; PM me)

edit:
I just tried to post in the 'Buy, Sell, Trade', but no access? Paying members only?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:17 PM

When receivers are activated, by default, they are listed as "leased" unless they were purchased (not leased) from Dish. CSRs who activate used, owned receivers are supposed to click the "owned" box when activating, but that doesn't happen 100% of the time. You could have gotten the receiver's status at any time, and you should ALWAYS check when adding an owned receiver to your account, since owned receivers have been the exception now for many years.

Since you have proof of purchase, you won't really have a problem, but know for the future to make it VERY clear when activating that it's an owned receiver, and then check your account again a day or two later and be sure it was done right.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#3 OFFLINE   Shaqdan

Shaqdan

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:29 PM

What are we supposed to be trying to "top," and why would we want to?

#4 OFFLINE   jrbdmb

jrbdmb

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:23 PM

Well, if you had leased receivers and then returned them, chances are Dish would either (1) claim they never received them, or (2) claimed they were damaged beyond repair due to bug infestation. These seem to be common themes with returned receivers.

#5 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:49 PM

Well, if you had leased receivers and then returned them, chances are Dish would either (1) claim they never received them, or (2) claimed they were damaged beyond repair due to bug infestation. These seem to be common themes with returned receivers.

So you are saying that "chances are" (more than 50% of the time) Dish will claim it didn't receive it's equipment or that it was damaged when received? I had no idea the problem was that common.

#6 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

So you are saying that "chances are" (more than 50% of the time) Dish will claim it didn't receive it's equipment or that it was damaged when received? I had no idea the problem was that common.

It's not, there are just some people who are prone to wild exagerations... :nono2: :rolleyes:

#7 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:16 PM

It's not.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,220 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:28 PM

TOP THIS!!! ... (you won't)

A story told many times before -- join the club.

Seriously, join the club -- support the forum!

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:56 PM

Don't know had to send back a leased 625 and a owned 622(for replacement under DHPP) to Dish Network.Even though I always make a copy of the return label(for the tracking number and other information) I received an email from Dish Network both times letting me know they received both receivers.:)

P.S. I always mail them back the next day as there is a time limit to return or be charged!.:eek2:

#10 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:18 PM

Ah, you're making "stuff" up. :rolleyes:

#11 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:14 PM

By the way, there have been instances where people have sold leased receivers on ebay.

So, those who bought them, have bought leased receivers and so do not own them.

Generally, when buying satellite receivers on ebay, it is necessary to get the receiver number and then call Dish to ask if it is leased or owned...
Still using Dish 500 production unit #000001 (pictured prior to upgrade to DPPlusTwin)
Olevia 542i fed by ViP622 and 522

#12 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:00 PM

Sure, I heard that someone cancelled E* service, had an owned receiver, refused to send it back and had 10 E* trucks there 10 minutes later with rifles demanding the receiver.

OK, I made it up, it was supposed be 10 minutes, but was really 10 days.:D
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#13 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,539 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:39 PM

I just called to cancel service, and the rep said no problem, your final bill will be $11 plus change. "We'll send you a box for you to return the receiver".

:confused:

They can send a box if they want to, but this receiver is going back on eBay where I bought it in '09. And I told her so. She wouldn't back down from the computer records :rolleyes: . She said for me to fax or mail the records showing this. I have them all - PayPal TX details, eBay TX details, credit card TX entry, etc.

Proving that it's mine won't be a problem. What IS the problem, is

1) Where did this info come from? (they had other incorrect info too, but it didn't come down to more $$ ...)
2) When they DO get it right, what kinds of problems will I run into when I sell, and the new buyer tries to activate?

#2 could be a major headache. Negative feedback, return postage, etc. :nono2:

Sir RANCELOT out!

(My 625 is for sale, with spare HDD's; PM me)

edit:
I just tried to post in the 'Buy, Sell, Trade', but no access? Paying members only?

Another reason why I'm a DirecTV customer! ;)

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#14 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:08 PM

Another reason why I'm a DirecTV customer! ;)

That's a strange reason to be a DirecTV customer when I see all the posts about DirecTV putting Purchased receivers as leased too.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

spam firewall