Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Windows Phone 7 App

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jkimrey

jkimrey

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:22 PM

Just an FYI that the DirecTV app available on the iPhone and Android platform is now available in the app Marketplace for Windows Phone 7 devices.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:33 PM

Just an FYI that the DirecTV app available on the iPhone and Android platform is now available in the app Marketplace for Windows Phone 7 devices.

While I don't have a Windows Phone.. where's the 'like' button? :P
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#3 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:24 AM

Gotta love Microsoft's abandonment of windows mobile 6.x. For that reason alone, I wouldn't touch a WM 7 based phone going forward.

I'm wondering if this will be "adapted" by the XDA folks to work with the millions of WM 6.x devices currently out there.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#4 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:19 AM

Gotta love Microsoft's abandonment of windows mobile 6.x. For that reason alone, I wouldn't touch a WM 7 based phone going forward.

I'm wondering if this will be "adapted" by the XDA folks to work with the millions of WM 6.x devices currently out there.

just buy a new phone...thats micorsofty's answer...they're getting that mantra from their competitor Apple.

same like IPOD or Iphone...buy a new one
my Ipod 30GB (2004 or 2005 I got it) still going strong since I ebay'ed a new battery for it (total 8$ for a new battery)..cause the Apple Store's answer was oh yeah we can fix it for you...JUST BUY A NEW ONE and throw this one away..HAHAHAH..like i was going to do that BECAUSE YOU SAID SO!!

I will never go back to Windows Mobile they're just as bad with upgrading the firmware..or just flat out DONT DO IT....dont buy it

#5 OFFLINE   jkimrey

jkimrey

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:17 PM

While I wouldn't want to get into a mobile OS war here :), I will say that one of the design principals for MS regarding WP7 was the problem with firmware updates on windows mobile.

Going forward with MP7, the update process is going to be much more controlled by MS, and much less dependent on the individual carriers (and devices).

just buy a new phone...thats micorsofty's answer...they're getting that mantra from their competitor Apple.

same like IPOD or Iphone...buy a new one
my Ipod 30GB (2004 or 2005 I got it) still going strong since I ebay'ed a new battery for it (total 8$ for a new battery)..cause the Apple Store's answer was oh yeah we can fix it for you...JUST BUY A NEW ONE and throw this one away..HAHAHAH..like i was going to do that BECAUSE YOU SAID SO!!

I will never go back to Windows Mobile they're just as bad with upgrading the firmware..or just flat out DONT DO IT....dont buy it

#6 OFFLINE   vincentw56

vincentw56

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

Wow! Poor guy. I can't believe you are whining about this. Grow up. Phones are good for only about 2 years and then it is time to upgrade. Microsoft didn't abandon support for WM 6.x recently. They abandoned it about 2 years ago when they release 6.1. :lol:

As someone who owned a WM 6.x for 2 years and just bought a Windows Phone 7, I am glad MS decided to abandoned a craptastic OS. If you still are holding on to the horrible OS, I really feel sorry for you. :nono:

The DirecTV App is really cool and was out before the phone was released. Funny it took this long to announce it.

The new Windows Phone 7 is AWESOME! :)

#7 OFFLINE   GreenScrew

GreenScrew

Mentor

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:42 PM

The real issue here regarding WM6 is that DirectTV didn't release an app for the platform. I'd like it for WM6 myself, and assume there is a large enough user base, but apparently the market demographics that DirectTV has access to says otherwise.

IF WM7 was available through Verizon I'd have one today.

#8 OFFLINE   btalbott

btalbott

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:38 PM

I want NFL to GO now! Where are you?

#9 OFFLINE   xylo

xylo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:51 AM

While I wouldn't want to get into a mobile OS war here :), I will say that one of the design principals for MS regarding WP7 was the problem with firmware updates on windows mobile.

Going forward with MP7, the update process is going to be much more controlled by MS, and much less dependent on the individual carriers (and devices).

This is pretty accurate. MOs have the option to block a release but then cannot block an N+1 release. Since we also have MO tests in house we can already see how the next release will pass tests or not. Additionally, since the chassis spec is fixed, there is less variables or uncertainty on how the upgrade will preform. There should be no real pressing reasons for an update to be blocked in most cases.

#10 OFFLINE   bills976

bills976

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:23 PM

I'm actually typing this reply on my HD7 after having used the DIRECTV mobile app. I have to say, big improvement over m.directv.com! My old phone was a touch pro 2, and win 7 just does circles around it. Still need to get used to the idea of a touch screen keyboard but I think I'll adjust!
Living Room: HR20-700 connected to a 52" Sony KDL-52Z5100
OTA: Radio Shack 15-2187 diplexed over SWM with Channel Master diplexers
Dish: CalAmp Slimline w/ WNC SWMline LNB
Spare receiver gathering dust: Phillips DSR-704

#11 OFFLINE   uber_geek

uber_geek

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:41 PM

:biggthump

#12 OFFLINE   kiknwing

kiknwing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 490 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

Unfortunately this app no longer works and I don't think that I'm alone with all of the reviews on the marketplace. "the remote server returned an error: NotFound.

#13 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

Yeah, I get the same error message on my HD7.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   kiknwing

kiknwing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 490 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:18 PM

I can sign in now but now I get the error "communication error, could not get channel list from server. Try again later" Using an HTC Mazaa running 7.5 if that's helps.

#15 OFFLINE   Brent04

Brent04

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:20 PM

The DirecTV Windows Phone 7 app also stopped working for me. Get the "Communication error: Could not get the channels from the server! Please, try again later!" message.

#16 OFFLINE   pdawg17

pdawg17

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:03 PM

Not working for me either...who do we report this to?
Panny 9UK
HR22-100 (Component)
Pio VSX-1018

Panny TC-P42X1
HR20-700 (HDMI)

Hackintosh box: Intel i5 2500k, 8gb ram, Radeon 5770, ML 10.8.2

HTPC: Intel Quad Core Q9550, 4gb ram, Nvidia 660Ti 2GB using HDMI to above Panny 9UK, Windows 8 x64

All hard-wired to D-link DIR-655 router

#17 OFFLINE   Brent04

Brent04

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

I've posted a message on DirecTV's Service Twitter account this weekend and did not get a response back. I also sent an email to DirecTV today and waiting on a response to the email.

#18 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

Not working for me either...who do we report this to?

I'm pretty sure you have right here...

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#19 OFFLINE   Brent04

Brent04

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

Well so much for DirecTV support. The CSR thinks I'm talking about the receivers TV Apps when I clearly stated the Windows Phone 7 app. Email below:

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
DirecTV Windows Phone 7 app not working

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response Via Email() - 08/18/2011 01:30 PM
Dear ,

Thanks for writing. I see that you're one of our long time customers and we want to let you know we value your business.

I'm very sorry to hear that your TV apps have stopped working. I appreciate being given the chance to address your concern.

We have received reports that customer’s may receive an error when trying to load TV Apps on various IRD models that states "TV App is currently unavailable. Please try again later" message. DIRECTV is aware of this known issue and our Engineering is working double time to resolve the issue.

Meanwhile, we need some input on the error message that you're getting. Please follow the steps below and let us know of the outcome so we can forward them to management.

1. Unplug the Ethernet cable from the IRD
2. Manually reset the IRD
3. Once the IRD fully recovers, plug in the Ethernet cable
4. Run through and restore network setting, verifying connectivity to the internet.
5. Try to load TV Apps. Note: It may take up to 2 hours for applications to fully load.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to resolve this issue for you.

Thanks again for writing, Brent and providing us the opportunity to be of service to you.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV Customer Service

P. S. Football season is here! Catch up to 14 games every week this fall with NFL SUNDAY TICKET, now available at directv.com/nfl.

Customer By Web Form (Brent) - 08/16/2011 04:19 PM
The DirecTV app for Windows Phone 7 has stopped working. When you try to use it you get the following message: "Communication error: Could not get the channels from the server! Please, try again later!" This has been happening for several weeks. Is DirecTV going to fix this issue?

#20 OFFLINE   employee3

employee3

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:14 AM

I have submitted a trouble issue via directv.com/email. If I get a response like the "TV Apps" I may be thinking of Dish or forgoing TV altogether. That is ridiculous.
C'mon people, it's just TV.

spam firewall