Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What size of hdtv can a sd receiver be used before the picture looks funny?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cmf21

cmf21

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:07 PM

Getting service again in a few weeks. We're getting a hd receiver and two standard receivers. We currently have 1 34" Sony HDTV Crt and a 27" Sony standard crt. We are going to be buying an hd lcd set but are undecided on what size and were wondering how large a hdtv we can have with a standard receiver before the picture looks funny. Should we just pay the extra money and get another hd receiver instead of using one of the standard receivers we're getting. We previously had a sd receiver on the 34" hdtv which looked alright.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:16 PM

I would opt for another HD receiver if you will be getting your HDTV anytime soon.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:56 PM

I would probably splurge for the HD recevier or HD-DVR. If you are just starting up service, you can probably get a good deal on it.

As for size TV vs. SD receiver, I had a SD-DVR hooked up to a 55" HDTV and it looked just fine using component cables. Of course, it is much better now that I have HD service. :)

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:33 AM

To answer the original base question...I suspect once you get over about 27"...you'll notice just how poor SD looks..especially compared to seeing HD there regularly.

I'd agree with the others that migrating to an HD receiver will likely be your least painful experience.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:06 AM

I don't understand why you wouldn't just get another HD DVR to begin with? :scratch:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   Eskimo

Eskimo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:07 AM

It all depends on your viewing distance. We have a 32" up in the BR. from 20' or more, it's hard to tell a difference between the SD channels and HD. Anything closer though, and it becomes more and more noticeable.

HD is like a car with a lot of power. Once you've had it, you won't want to go back to less.
Rich in PA...

H24-700 - MBR 32" Vizio
HR24-200 - Great Room 50" Panny plasma w/ sound bar
HR24-200 - Theater room 128" 2.35:1 screen, Emotiva UMC-1, Klipsch KLF/KSP 7.1 speakers / Fi subs (18" x2), 3300 watts RMS.
MRV, ICK..

#7 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:07 AM

If you are going to get another receiver added to your account, do not, under any circumstances allow a CSR to tell you that they can't add it, but they will put it on the notes and the tech in the field will fix it.

that will NOT happen the way you want it. It will annoy the tech, cause the job to go at least 30 mins longer, if not more, and that's even IF the tech has the extra HD equipment on his truck.

Flat out insist that they cancel your order and re-built it if they can't just add the receiver. then check your order online and make sure they actually did change it and not just BS you past the point that they got you off the phone with them.

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:57 AM

Depends on your definition of funny. I watch sd on my 126" screen occasionally and it's ok. Not hd, but very watchable.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#9 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:15 AM

Getting service again in a few weeks. We're getting a hd receiver and two standard receivers. We currently have 1 34" Sony HDTV Crt and a 27" Sony standard crt. We are going to be buying an hd lcd set but are undecided on what size and were wondering how large a hdtv we can have with a standard receiver before the picture looks funny. Should we just pay the extra money and get another hd receiver instead of using one of the standard receivers we're getting. We previously had a sd receiver on the 34" hdtv which looked alright.

Going with a HD receiver is your best option. Why invest money in a HDTV and not take full advantage of what it can do. Viewing distance will dictate what screen size you should go with. Go to "Viewing Distance Calculator", type in the info and it will tell you what screen size is best. Also calibrate your new HDTV. Your picture quality will be at it's maximum. If you cannot afford to have your TV calibrated by a professional there are several inexpensive Calibration DVDs that will improve your picture quality.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#10 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:42 AM

I would make them provide HD receivers instead of SD. If you take SD receivers now, then upgrading them later (which you will want to do once you have HD) will be an "upgrade" and will have strings attached. It shoudn't be too hard to get them to provide the HD receviers (if they're non-dvr) at no charge.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#11 OFFLINE   rainydave

rainydave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:03 PM

I was running an R10 on our 46" hdtv for a few months. It looked okay until I had an HR21 to compare it to. :)

#12 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,858 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:03 AM

Depends on your definition of funny. I watch sd on my 126" screen occasionally and it's ok. Not hd, but very watchable.

...and I thought my eye sight was bad!:)

I"ve been spoiled rotten. I don't watch anything that isn't HD...well, near nothing, and I don't record anything whatsoever in SD. I just can't watch it. Thank God 99% of what I have interest in is already some form of HD (some are "better" HD than others):)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:38 AM

...and I thought my eye sight was bad!:)

I"ve been spoiled rotten. I don't watch anything that isn't HD...well, near nothing, and I don't record anything whatsoever in SD. I just can't watch it. Thank God 99% of what I have interest in is already some form of HD (some are "better" HD than others):)

Don't give up on all SD yet. I just bought my third Panny BD65 player and when streaming NetFlix on it, the SD pictures, while in 4:3 mode, are upscaled to a 1080p (I can't really tell, but I think it's 1080/60p) picture and are clear as a bell on my plasmas. Even on the 720p plasmas. The BD player even upscales the 720p streaming HD NetFlix to 1080p and produces a much better picture than my Rokus can. The SD content on my Rokus is virtually unwatchable.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,858 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

. The SD content on my Rokus is virtually unwatchable.

Rich

I'll second that, Rich, at least much of it. Some is unbelievably bad, some is pseudo-standard dvd quality and that I can watch for a while.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:58 PM

I'll second that, Rich, at least much of it. Some is unbelievably bad, some is pseudo-standard dvd quality and that I can watch for a while.

Ah, you should try one of the Net ready Panny BD players. I'm still amazed at the picture they pump out. Makes the Rokus look like cheap toys.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,858 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:56 PM

Ah, you should try one of the Net ready Panny BD players. I'm still amazed at the picture they pump out. Makes the Rokus look like cheap toys.

Rich

I was just thinking of something like that the other day...replacing my old Roku with an upconverting, netflix aware blu-ray player. I don't want to spend a fortune for just the bedroom, so I'm considering the Vizio (with built-in N wireless) for $138 bucks. If it goes on sale for even less, I might pull the trigger.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#17 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

It is a function of where you are seated in relation to the screen as much as if not more than the sheer size of the display. http://myhometheater...calculator.html

...should answer most of your questions.

Incidentally, it is not just that modern FPs look fuzzy for SD because they are bigger; CRTs have a natural "ringing" artifact that works like edge enhancement and actually makes SD look sharper than it actually is, or than it can display on a FP.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:48 AM

I was just thinking of something like that the other day...replacing my old Roku with an upconverting, netflix aware blu-ray player. I don't want to spend a fortune for just the bedroom, so I'm considering the Vizio (with built-in N wireless) for $138 bucks. If it goes on sale for even less, I might pull the trigger.

You can get the Panny BD 65 at amazon.com for $103. Amazingly good PQ on both SD and HD and it upscales both. Has, NetFlix, You Tube and Pandora and lots of room for more.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   Caromsoft

Caromsoft

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:44 PM

You can get the Panny BD 65 at amazon.com for $103. Amazingly good PQ on both SD and HD and it upscales both. Has, NetFlix, You Tube and Pandora and lots of room for more.

Rich

+1 for the Panasonic BD65. We have a slow 768 DSL connection and thought there was no way we would be able to stream Netflix, but with the exception of one title every movie has been perfectly watchable on a 42" plasma.

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:43 AM

+1 for the Panasonic BD65. We have a slow 768 DSL connection and thought there was no way we would be able to stream Netflix, but with the exception of one title every movie has been perfectly watchable on a 42" plasma.

I gotta admit that I thought the Rokus were the best streaming devices, but the BD65 changed my mind quickly. I've got three of them now and if the soon to come 1080p streaming NetFlix content causes any problems with three Rokus I have, they'll be gone and I'll have a couple more 65s.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...