Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Looking to upgrade mother to HD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:34 PM

My mother is thinking about getting a bigger TV, which means getting an HD set. She moved in with my wife and me two years ago after it became apparent that Mom couldn't mentally handle living alone.

Our current setup:

Living Room: 722K only hooked to one tv (612's I tried were flaky), use HDMI
Master BR: 722K, use the HDMI for TV1
Mom's BR: TV2 output off the Master BR 722K hooked to 13" CRT

I am considering swaping the master BR 722k for two 211Ks. I already have an external HD and the HD feature active on my account, allowing me to make one of the 211k boxes a DVR. Given this, I figure that this is the best way to get HD to Mom's room and actually drop the extra receiver fees by $3.

What am I going to have to do if I offer to turn in the second 722k and get 2 211k receivers? I assume they would reset the two year contract (I have 9 months left on the current contract). What else would be involved in making this change? Also, what's the best way to go about requesting the change? I believe I could make the minor rewiring changes and install the receivers myself, but am not sure that Dish would let me do that.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:04 PM

One bit of bad news to throw at you right off the bat...

The EHD service for your 722K does not transfer over to a 211K.

You can share EHD between 622/722/722K/922... but you can't use that EHD on a 211K.

You also will have to pay a different one-time EHD activation fee for the 211K... and you will not be able to share recordings/swap drives between your 211K and your 722K if you decide to go with that configuration.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:38 AM

Figures. In that case I might consider a 612 & 211 to replace the 722k. Have the 612s improved any since 9/09? Hate to do that but I want dvr in br

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:30 PM

Unfortunately I know little about the 612 or 211... so hopefully someone else will chime in on that for you.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#5 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:10 PM

After looking at the 612 support sticky thread, it appears that the 612 still has issues. I have decided to keep the 722k in the master br.

I could buy a 211, but it appears that I would have to run a line 12 ft from the lnb to the grounding block, add an additional single barrel grounding block to it, then cut the TV2 coming back out of the attic that goes to Mom's tv, crimp a connector to it and hook it to the grounding block. Amazon has a receiver for $115 with free shipping.

If I have Dish do it, I pay almost $102 with tax for the tech and sign a new 2 year contract.

Since I did install my first Dish system back in 02, I may opt to buy the receiver and do the install myself and then remove the TV2 combiner and splitter from the 722.

#6 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:57 AM

I'll bet there are many here like me that have one or more 612's that work just fine. I have two. We just don't have any reason to post in that thread.

#7 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:12 AM

After looking at the 612 support sticky thread, it appears that the 612 still has issues. I have decided to keep the 722k in the master br.

I could buy a 211, but it appears that I would have to run a line 12 ft from the lnb to the grounding block, add an additional single barrel grounding block to it, then cut the TV2 coming back out of the attic that goes to Mom's tv, crimp a connector to it and hook it to the grounding block. Amazon has a receiver for $115 with free shipping.

If I have Dish do it, I pay almost $102 with tax for the tech and sign a new 2 year contract.

Since I did install my first Dish system back in 02, I may opt to buy the receiver and do the install myself and then remove the TV2 combiner and splitter from the 722.

I just diplex the TV2 out along with the feed from the LNB up to my 211k. Gives me the option of one-or-both.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

spam firewall