Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Do I need High Bandwidth Barrells

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:35 PM

So I need to use the Barrells with the blue centers that handle high bandwidth if my setup currently uses regular ones and I dont seem to have any issues? I see alot on here use them but I dont want to waste my time or money changing them out if I would not see any real performance improvement.

My setup is an SL3 6X8 Multi Switch and 4 HD recievers

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:38 PM

So I need to use the Barrells with the blue centers that handle high bandwidth if my setup currently uses regular ones and I dont seem to have any issues? I see alot on here use them but I dont want to waste my time or money changing them out if I would not see any real performance improvement.

My setup is an SL3 6X8 Multi Switch and 4 HD recievers

If it's working, don't try to fix it.

If you're going to buy more barrels, then the blue colored ones aren't that expensive.

Better to have a "good" [working] barrel than a fancy colored [crappy] barrel.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,692 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:41 PM

If it's working, don't try to fix it.

If you're going to buy more barrels, then the blue colored ones aren't that expensive.

Better to have a "good" [working] barrel than a fancy colored [crappy] barrel.

All together now...

Roll out the barrels.... :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:46 PM

The blue-colored nylon inserts indicate two things:

- The connector has been tested and shown to have reduced loss at high frequencies compared to standard barrel connectors, and

- The connector is rated to carry up to 2 amps of 24V DC power.

Some "standard" barrel connectors are okay, and many are pure junk, but as a rule, the blue barrels are far higher in quality, and most important, are rated to have DC power running through them, something that isn't true of standard barrels, which are designed only for signal.

DBS satellite systems are fairly robust, and you can "get away" with doing many "bad" things, but it's also very possible to have problems that are hard to track down if you aren't doing things right. As cheap as a couple of the proper barrel connectors are, it makes little sense not to use them.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#5 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:34 PM

Blue insert barrels are so 1st half 2010. Orange insert barrels are all the rage now. The orange ones meet the SCTE "requirements".
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#6 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:04 PM

What does red indicate?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#7 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,981 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:11 PM

What does red indicate?

Power-passing ports (at least on the Directv hardware).

#9 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

Anyone have any ideas where I can buy them for a fair price. I checked monoprice and they dont carry them. The local Lowes has them 6 for 4.98

#10 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:49 PM

What does red indicate?

Rated at 3 GHz.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:16 PM

Rated at 3 GHz.

Doctor j

Don't you mean the pink ones?

DirecTV uses red for DC power.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:27 PM

Don't you mean the pink ones?

DirecTV uses red for DC power.

I've purchased many varieties of "high end" connectors over the years. Before SWM some F-81's rated at 3 GHz were red insulators , some green.

Almost all now, 2 GHz or 3 GHz , are blue.

Don't know that there is any "certification" to adher to.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#13 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:31 PM

Blue insert barrels are so 1st half 2010. Orange insert barrels are all the rage now. The orange ones meet the SCTE "requirements".

Orange is SO in. :lol:
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:46 PM

I've purchased many varieties of "high end" connectors over the years. Before SWM some F-81's rated at 3 GHz were red insulators , some green.

Almost all now, 2 GHz or 3 GHz , are blue.

Don't know that there is any "certification"
to adher to.

Doctor j

I'd say there is "none". The manufacturing process has been "defined" to yield a certain level of quality and there is zero testing.
There is NOTHING different in the composition of these F-81s that can change their frequency range.
The only way to do this is to change the physical dimensions and dialectic, which the "color" doesn't. They are limited in dimensions to fit/comply with RG6/type F connectors.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:53 PM

I'd say there is "none". The manufacturing process has been "defined" to yield a certain level of quality and there is zero testing.
There is NOTHING different in the composition of these F-81s that can change their frequency range.
The only way to do this is to change the physical dimensions and dialectic, which the "color" doesn't. They are limited in dimensions to fit/comply with RG6/type F connectors.

Yep. I (as many) just think if you give me a "better" spec and charge a little more, then is HAS to be better.

Clearly some products of one design are better made (more consistent, fewer defects, less likely to fail). However insuring that what you get is what you paid for can be a tough consumer decision.

Doctor j

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:41 PM

Yep. I (as many) just think if you give me a "better" spec and charge a little more, then is HAS to be better.

Clearly some products of one design are better made (more consistent, fewer defects, less likely to fail). However insuring that what you get is what you paid for can be a tough consumer decision.

Doctor j

"A good barrel is better than a crappy barrel", regardless of it's color. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:30 PM

Anyone have any ideas where I can buy them for a fair price. I checked monoprice and they dont carry them. The local Lowes has them 6 for 4.98

So, you're quibbling price over something you've already priced out at Lowes for less than 85 cents apiece? What's your deal? Why didn't you just go ahead and get them while you were there? What do you consider a FAIR price???

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#18 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

So, you're quibbling price over something you've already priced out at Lowes for less than 85 cents apiece? What's your deal? Why didn't you just go ahead and get them while you were there? What do you consider a FAIR price???

Well I would like to buy in bulk like a bag of 25 or 30 considering I would need at least 25 when you are talking about every wall plate in my home some having 2 or 3 in each one and several in the attic.

#19 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:36 PM

Bought a 40Ct bag of PPC F81's on Ebay for 9.99 Shipping Included.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...