I have a web app (web page) that allows you to control your network connected DVR from an iPod Touch or iPhone (and probably other mobiles as well). It has the usual remote buttons but also a live list of what is on each channel. Click on the show title and the TV tunes to that channel. Right now it is customized to my personal viewing habits (favorite channels) but it shows all channels. If there is interest, I can customize it so that individuals can create favorite station lists.
As I mentioned, it is pretty basic, and I've only tested it with R22, HR21 and HR24, from an iPod Touch w/ iOS 3.1 and 4 but it seems to work. Info and page at http://sillysot.com/dtv
Things I might add if there is sufficient interest:
- Personalized channel lists
- Channel selection based on what directTV package and extras are selected
- More robust program list to include what's coming up
- Support for multiple DVRs
- Macro support (for example, who can remember how to view upcoming episodes)
- Volume control (which is not a DVR function)
- Listing and playing recorded programs.
Anyway, though this is not the 1st such app in the world, comments are welcome.