Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

iPhone based remote control for DirecTV DVR

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   kcmrlitz

kcmrlitz

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:11 PM

Works great for me! I would love to see a full app on iTunes :). One suggestion would be a stop button on the control page to stop viewing a recorded program.

Kevin

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:48 PM

Thanks everyone for trying this out and for the comments.

First, I guess a short explanation of pre-reqs is required.

Control of the DVR is through the home TCP/IP network. That is the local network to which the DVR is connected. These networks usually have a 192.168.x.x address or a 10.x.x.x address depending on your home router. What is important to note here is that the iPhone (or whatever browser) needs to have an address on the same network. I don't have a 3G type of connection, but I gather that these get an IP address assigned by the phone company, not your home network so those types of connections won't work.

geek note: The outside network can not see inside your local network unless you specifically set your router up to do that, which most people will not do; If you want the outside world to see your DVR, open port 8080 to route to your DVR box, but be prepared for hacking attempts which the DVR might not handle gracefully.

2nd, the way that programming is determined is to go to the DirecTV site's "whats on" page. I've made an effort to hit the DirecTV server as little as possible (both for our benefit and theirs!) so listings only get updated if you make a new request for a given zip code after the clock goes past 0 or 30 minutes past the hour (or 15 minutes since the last request for a given zip). You might see shows listed as still showing that are not really still on if they didn't end at 0 or 30 past.

I've filtered out any channels that are showing titles of 'paid programming' or 'no programming' in the listings, so sometimes channels will appear to be missing but are simply filtered out because they are showing infomercials.

Finally, I'm a geek and, by definition, don't watch or even understand sports (heck, I even got my arm broken in 6th grade wrestling!), so for now the channels above 619 are not shown right now.

I'd like to understand the missing LA local channels so let me know the zip and I'll take a look. It is probably infomercial filtering though.

I'll have a look at personalizing channel lists. I know how I'd like it to look and it has great potential but I have some learning to do so this will be a little while yet. I'll study a bit over the holidays.

#23 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

Works on my motorola droid and ipad. Have you considered making a native android and iphone app? That would be great.

+1 on the droid app. Freaaked my wife out when I changed the channel. She had the remote.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#24 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

... I'd like to understand the missing LA local channels so let me know the zip and I'll take a look. It is probably infomercial filtering though.

Zip here is 90037, and the app is only displaying six local stations;

KNBC 4
KTLA 5
KTTV 11
KWHY 22
KCET 28
KOCE 50

Therefore quite a few from the DirecTV lineup in the LA market are missing. 21 to be exact;

KCBS 2
KABC 7
KCAL 9
KCOP 13
KSCI 18
KBBC 20
KVCR 24
KPXN 30
KVMD 31
KMEX 34
KXLA 44
KFTR 46
KVEA 52
KAZA 54
KDOC 56
KJLA 57
KLCS 58
KLCS 58-2
KRCA 62
KBEH 63
KHIZ 64

Otherwise good app though, thanks ...

#25 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:16 PM

I like the app just for the fact I can mess with my son.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

#26 OFFLINE   brian188

brian188

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:08 PM

Most items work fine on Samsung Epic with an HR20-700.

Local channels only thing that doesn't seem to work. They aren't listing even with my zip. And missing some movie channels, Showtime, etc. but assume you don't have them set up if you don't get em.

#27 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

Doesn't list any locals for me in zip 54650.
2 - HR20-100s
1 - HR21-100
1 - HR21-700
1 - HR34 Genie
1 - H24-100
1 - H24-200
SWM16/DECA

#28 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:19 AM

Thanks HoTat2. I think this fixed. I was inadvertently restricting the locals list to those in my own zip code. Station names should appear as text since I don't have associations to networks. When I get to adding customization, we'll be able to knock out those shopping or alternate language channels as desired (but that might be a little while yet).

#29 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:25 AM

I like the app just for the fact I can mess with my son.

Replace "son" with "wife" and that's exactly why I tried so hard to get this to work for me. :lol:

#30 OFFLINE   BurnX

BurnX

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:07 AM

Works with iPhone. Works with Firefox 4.0b7.

Had an issue with Chrome v8.0.552.200 beta. The last 2 octets of the IP address are cleared from the DVR's IP Address box when clicking the set button. This causes the needs Valid IP message to pop up.

Overall awesome job!! Thanks for putting this together.

#31 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,733 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:05 PM

I'm not home to try it, so I put in 127.0.0.1 in the IP address box just so I can proceed and look around. But when I hit set, the IP address changes to 127.0 and a box comes up saying invalid IP. Every time I correct the IP address, as soon as I hit set it goes away.

Java is fully updated, not sure if that matters (i know some java updates can break legacy code).

I'll try later tonight on my iphone when I get home.

#32 OFFLINE   bleggett29

bleggett29

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

I'm also having difficulty setting the IP address in Chrome v8.0.552.200 (last 2 octets disappearing).
It does, however, work great on my Droid Incredible over WiFi.
Also works OK in IE 8.
Occasional locals missing from guide(ZIP 20653) but I'm sure it's due to filtering. Currently only missing CH 7 WJLA which is showing paid programming.
HR21-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Samsung LN40B530 40" HDTV -- HDMI -- Living Room
HR22-100 -> cheap 22" HDTV -- HDMI -- Kids Room
H21-100 -> Samsung 26" HDTV -- Component -- Master Bed Room

Slimline-5 -> SWM-8

Unsupported MRV (100M ethernet LAN)

#33 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

Thanks HoTat2. I think this fixed. I was inadvertently restricting the locals list to those in my own zip code. Station names should appear as text since I don't have associations to networks. When I get to adding customization, we'll be able to knock out those shopping or alternate language channels as desired (but that might be a little while yet).

Yes that "practically," for me anyhow :) did the trick since the channels still not coming up, or consistently up, are almost all Spanish speaking stations I don't watch anyhow. But for the record, right now the channels not presently showing are.

KSCI 18, KWHY 22, KMEX 34, KFTR 46, KVEA 52, KAZA 54, KJLA 57, KLCS 58-2, KRCA 62, and KHIZ 64.

Still thanks-a-much for the work so far and love the additional remote functions you've recently added I see.

#34 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

My thoughts...

With a little more layout, the keypad tab and the controls tab can be just one tab.

I downloaded the page and files onto my local machine and ran it from there. The app worked just as it does off your server except the channels page wouldn't fetch. I'm sure since this is just in early beta, you could easily work on that coding. So, I think it could be a great app. I'd download a finished app and be happy to pay a buck for it, rather than deal with an ad crawl. Keep up the evolution of it.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

#35 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,733 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:05 PM

Ok I'm home now and it works great on my iphone. Great job! Many props to you!

Nice platform to build upon. It can only get fine tuned from here!

#36 OFFLINE   jmh139

jmh139

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:38 PM

Great Job, works faster than the DTV remote on my iPhone to my HR20-100. My kids love this with their iPhones!

#37 OFFLINE   bleggett29

bleggett29

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:53 PM

My thoughts...

With a little more layout, the keypad tab and the controls tab can be just one tab.

I downloaded the page and files onto my local machine and ran it from there. The app worked just as it does off your server except the channels page wouldn't fetch. I'm sure since this is just in early beta, you could easily work on that coding. So, I think it could be a great app. I'd download a finished app and be happy to pay a buck for it, rather than deal with an ad crawl. Keep up the evolution of it.

You can edit the html file to have a hard link to the php file on the OPs server. I spent several hours over night trying to get Chrome to work. A lot of it was editing a local copy of the html.

Slimline-5 -> SWM-8

#38 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:30 PM

Chrome chopping off the IP address should be fixed.

Geek note: Looks like Chrome and Safari interpret the HTML5 standard for input type="number" differently. iPhones just change the keypad to numbers but Chrome validates a real number which, of course, can't have multiple decimals. The fix was to use type=number only on ipod/iphone/ipad. Yuck... but I think it should work.

Also, I did filter out a few of the non-English channels in some areas. Since this is really an early version, I'm not providing a means for users to do that and so I thought it reasonable to filter out the non-English channels most current users would not care to see in the lists.

#39 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:36 PM

I originally had it that way, but I found that there was too much scrolling around and it was not intuitive.

It does need some work on button placement though. For example, if you accidentally change channels, you can only find the 'previous channel' button on the keypad page. I added a temporary 'prev' button on the listings but I still find myself looking for the previous button. So maybe a frequently used button bar or something.

One tip though, you can disable sending commands to the DVR with the 'disable' button on the info page.

#40 OFFLINE   bleggett29

bleggett29

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:45 PM

Chrome chopping off the IP address should be fixed.

Geek note: Looks like Chrome and Safari interpret the HTML5 standard for input type="number" differently. iPhones just change the keypad to numbers but Chrome validates a real number which, of course, can't have multiple decimals. The fix was to use type=number only on ipod/iphone/ipad. Yuck... but I think it should work.

Also, I did filter out a few of the non-English channels in some areas. Since this is really an early version, I'm not providing a means for users to do that and so I thought it reasonable to filter out the non-English channels most current users would not care to see in the lists.

Thanks. :D
if (!apple) { // God why can't browsers be standard!?!?!
       document.getElementById('rmipaddr').type="text";
       document.getElementById('zipCode').type="text";
Good to know for future references.;)

Slimline-5 -> SWM-8

spam firewall