Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

iPhone based remote control for DirecTV DVR

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:56 AM

I originally had it that way, but I found that there was too much scrolling around and it was not intuitive.

It does need some work on button placement though. For example, if you accidentally change channels, you can only find the 'previous channel' button on the keypad page. I added a temporary 'prev' button on the listings but I still find myself looking for the previous button. So maybe a frequently used button bar or something.

One tip though, you can disable sending commands to the DVR with the 'disable' button on the info page.

INHO, there seemed to be too many repeat functions on the two screens, that is why I mentioned it....But if you cut out the repeat buttons on the 2 tabs, you could make the buttons bigger (or additional functions) which would help with some of us with bigger fingers or just crappy touch screen dexterity. (I love/hate my X Droid touchscreen due to speed of input compared to a keyboard)
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

Sweet! Just ordered Verizon DSL friday night so I can start using On Demand. Now I've just got to wait for the dsl modem/router combo and filters to arrive before I can hook it all up. This little web app just sweetens the pot. If you could make it into a full iTunes App I'd even pay for it. You should file for the software rights to prevent D* from stealing it and marketing it as their own. If they want an official Directv app of it they should have to license the software from you.

#43 OFFLINE   bleggett29

bleggett29

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:25 PM

I know you're in the early stages of this but any possible way of including a "Kids" category in the channel guide? I've already tested the following on a local copy and seems to work fine.
channelHeader('Kids');
    station("290");
    station("291");
    station("292");
    station("293");
    station("294");
    station("295");
    station("296");
    station("297");
    station("298");
    station("299");
    station("300");
    station("301");
    station("302");
    station("303");

HR21-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Samsung LN40B530 40" HDTV -- HDMI -- Living Room
HR22-100 -> cheap 22" HDTV -- HDMI -- Kids Room
H21-100 -> Samsung 26" HDTV -- Component -- Master Bed Room

Slimline-5 -> SWM-8

Unsupported MRV (100M ethernet LAN)

#44 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

I added a kids and sports section and I'm trying to move channel lists to the server in preparation for customization capability so those of you looking at the html won't see those new lists.

I've changed the app to remove the selections of what to show from the info page and instead have collapsible headers in the list. Clicking on a header now expands or collapses the category so it is easier to scroll through the list and skip stuff you don't want.

If you want the adult category, add ?adult to the URL.

Sorry, for those looking at the source, the code is getting temporarily convoluted and uglier and is a little slower right now.

#45 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,909 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:46 PM

My compliments! Very nice job. I just checked it out first on my main computer (wireless to my router) and FireFox. (WinXP Home). Worked first try.

Then went to the iPOD Touch and aside from fatfingering the IP, it worked first try too. Very snappy and functional. I'm going to do a bunch of playing around.

Very much like the "previous" button. I could have some real fun witih this. For separate DVRs it would simply be a matter of saving a web page (configured with the IP of that specific DVR) for each one, and changing the description to reflect the DVR "hame". That way, I could be up in the bedroom and have access to any DVR in the house, using nothing but the iPOD Touch!

Outstanding. Please continue to develop it, as you have a real winner here!

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#46 OFFLINE   bleggett29

bleggett29

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

I have some missing icons for network/local channels. All in 68x38pix PNG. I believe I've kept the same naming scheme you are using.
The first one (ETV_SD.png) is actually MHz Networks/MHz Worldview (local Ch 56 WNVC, D* Ch 2183 MHzW). It looks like D* still has the old network name for local Ch 56 (ETV) listed but has the correct listing as MHzW for Ch 2183.
The second icon is Telefutura (TFT), and the third is Univision (UNI).

Attached Thumbnails

• ETV_SD.png
  • TFT_SD.png
  • UNI_SD.png

Slimline-5 -> SWM-8

#47 OFFLINE   VandyCWG

VandyCWG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:02 AM

I run my on webserver, any way to get your program to run on my server? I would love to set up DVR specific addresses.

Spring Hill, TN (Nashville DMA)

Receiving Equipment: SWM 3 Slimline | Full DECA cloud
Living Room: Mini C31 | LG 55" LED
Bonus Room: HR44-700 | Sharp 70" 3D LED | Sony STR-DN1040 | PS3 | Slingbox Pro-HD | Slingbox SOLO
Master Bedroom: HR24-500 | Westinghouse 40"
Man Cave: Mini C31 | 
LG 55" LED
Computer/Networking: Windows 7 /WMP12 | Netgear R6300 | 50/5 Charter HSI
Mobile Phones Verizon - Droid Razr MAXX, Rooted 4.1.1

#48 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:26 AM

VandyCWG: I'll be setting up customization of channel categories etc but for now I'm changing the server backend very frequently. I plan to move all the lists out of the html and onto the server so that you can have individual categories. I hadn't thought of different lists for different DVRs, but I can see why that might be useful.

bleggett29: I'm actually filtering out some of the non-English stations for now (see above) but eventually I hope to build a table of some of the local stations and their icons. I did add the ones you posted though. I'd suggest running the html from my server for a while because the backend changes are paired with html changes.

#49 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:26 AM

waltz - Fantastic! Getting better every day! Thanks for all your efforts.
2 - HR20-100s
1 - HR21-100
1 - HR21-700
1 - HR34 Genie
1 - H24-100
1 - H24-200
SWM16/DECA

#50 OFFLINE   CincySaint

CincySaint

AllStar

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:21 AM

This is fantastic. Thanks for sharing it with the community. I'd be happy to contribute a few bucks for this.

Looking forward to the customizablenversion.

#51 OFFLINE   stlmike

stlmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:12 PM

Loving it!

Is there any way to use it for multiple DVR's? I have not been successful yet with my iPhone 4. I tried to set up each one based on the IP address of the DRV then hit the "+" button and save as a new icon on my main screen, but anytime I change the IP settings, it changes it for all of them (i.e. the 5 DVR's I have set up all change to the most recently updated IP address and not saving the unique IP's I'm giving them).

Thanks for the great work!!

#52 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:24 PM

Loving it!

Is there any way to use it for multiple DVR's? I have not been successful yet with my iPhone 4. I tried to set up each one based on the IP address of the DRV then hit the "+" button and save as a new icon on my main screen, but anytime I change the IP settings, it changes it for all of them (i.e. the 5 DVR's I have set up all change to the most recently updated IP address and not saving the unique IP's I'm giving them)

Agree. Would be awesome if could enter multiple DVR's to a pull-down, perhaps using "friendly" names associated with their IP's.

That said, great work, and thanks so much for sharing it with us! :)
/steve

#53 OFFLINE   dkraft

dkraft

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

Excellent work!

#54 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:01 PM

Agree. Would be awesome if could enter multiple DVR's to a pull-down, perhaps using "friendly" names associated with their IP's.

That said, great work, and thanks so much for sharing it with us! :)

Hey guys, educate me a bit on this here please. And pardon any possible ignorance :);

But since I'm still using an old and very "un-Smart" POS cell phone, I just assumed there really wasn't too much you could do on a PC (within reason of course) that you can't do on a state of the art Smart Phone nowadays.

So why can't you simply use your phones' web-browser to access http://sillysot.com/dtv/example.html

Enter each DVRs IP and zip code data, and then save them as individual html web documents?

It works for my PC here and on hasan's iPad (see his post #45).

Or is it that Smart Phones can't do this like actual computers commonly do?

#55 OFFLINE   stlmike

stlmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:20 PM

Hey guys, educate me a bit on this here please. And pardon any possible ignorance :);

But since I'm still using an old and very "un-Smart" POS cell phone, I just assumed there really wasn't too much you could do on a PC (within reason of course) that you can't do on a state of the art Smart Phone nowadays.

So why can't you simply use your phones' web-browser to access http://sillysot.com/dtv/example.html

Enter each DVRs IP and zip code data, and then save them as individual html web documents?

I tried to do that. But sadly changing one of the web documents is changing all of them. I'm not sure why or if I'm doing something wrong, but I have individual saved links for 3 different DVR's (labeled office, tv room, and bar room) and changing the IP of one of those changed all.

#56 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

My guess is the "cookie" created by the web page on your PC only stores the latest IP address you used. No matter how many copies of the page you create, they all reference the same "cookie".
/steve

#57 OFFLINE   bleggett29

bleggett29

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:40 PM

My guess is the "cookie" created by the web page on your PC only stores the latest IP address you used. No matter how many copies of the page you create, they all reference the same "cookie".

This is exactly the reason why. The OP has yet to implement support for multiple DVR's.

From http://sillysot.com/dtv

Future plans

More of a wish list than real plans, but here are some thoughts
Custom channel lists
Support for more than 1 DVR on the network
Recently used stations
Better presentation and usability (button placement, gestures on iPhones, more native feel, etc).

Slimline-5 -> SWM-8

#58 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,909 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:55 PM

Yep, I originally posted that I was going to use it for multiple DVRs and how cool that would be, and found out that only the latest save/set IP is held. I expect that might get fixed, but even if it isn't added, I can change it manually and the functions available and how well they work are terrific!

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#59 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:51 PM

Has anybody tried to VPN into their home network and see if this works?

BTW, until it is fixed you should be able to use different browsers for different DVRs. Each browser will store it's own cookie for a DVR. I have IE, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari installed. This is really easy in Windows 7 with your multiple DVRs pinned to the task bar.
DirecTV since '99, Grandfathered DNS Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox | HR24-500 | HR23-700 | Unsupported MRV

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

#60 OFFLINE   dvisthe

dvisthe

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:21 PM

Awesome, works on my HR20-700 networked through a powerline adapter, using my IPOD Touch.
Funny, you call yourself a geek,
I am no where near being a geek and find this stuff truly amazing, Great work!!
I do hope you plan to add some RSN's, being a Mets fan, I would love to have SNY on there.

I am going to keep this a secret and screw with my wife and son for as long as I can:lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...