Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

iPhone based remote control for DirecTV DVR

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:54 PM

For now you can use multiple DVRs by creating a separate icon or bookmark with ?ip=x.x.x.x at the end of the url.

For example:

http://sillysot.com/dtvtest/?ip=192.168.10.132

All other settings are shared between all the icons (shared cookies as noted above). This isn't well tested, but I think it will work.

Edited by waltz49, 17 December 2010 - 11:38 AM.
Updated URL to current site

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:01 PM

For now you can use multiple DVRs by creating a separate icon or bookmark with ?ip=x.x.x.x at the end of the url.

For example:

http://sillysot.com/dtv/example.html?ip=192.168.10.132

All other settings are shared between all the icons (shared cookies as noted above). This isn't well tested, but I think it will work.

Works great! Thanks!
2 - HR20-100s
1 - HR21-100
1 - HR21-700
1 - HR34 Genie
1 - H24-100
1 - H24-200
SWM16/DECA

#63 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:40 PM

I put up a version that lets you customize the lists.

http://sillysot.com/dtvtest

This is alpha code but it seems to mostly work.

Settings are currently stored as cookies, not on a server so there is no export/import yet.
  • Customization is enabled on the info tab. Customizations available:
  • Change category names
  • Change channels within categories
  • Move categories up and down in list
  • Add and delete categories.
Not available (sorry, maybe some day):
  • Ordering stations within categories
  • import/export to server
  • Multiple DVRs from a single icon.

All customization is done from the existing channel list. The buttons in customize mode are tiny but hopefully this isn't something that is done often. When I get to store settings on the server it will be better because it is much easier to do the customization on a PC.

#64 OFFLINE   joshferg

joshferg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:03 PM

Wow! Thanks for the update. The app is exactly what I've be wanting now. Keep the updates coming.
One quick question, is there anyway to add the local sports channels (I.e. FSN) to the channel lists. It doesn't show up as a channel I can select. Thanks!

#65 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,890 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:20 PM

For example:

http://sillysot.com/dtv/example.html?ip=192.168.10.132

Works perfectly on 3 different DVRs by specifying the ip in the bookmark as you indicated. One DVR is quite remote (pun intended), in that I am using Wireless G to the router from the Ipod Toch, and Wireless N from the router to the HR20-100 located about 80' away. Very impressive. Nice, very nice work and thanks so much for developing this and incorporating the suggestion to support multiple DVRs.

I was thinking this would also work on a networked HD receiver only, as well. It has an IP address, and since I have WHDVR, I could even tell it to record, and I would be prompted for which DVR to record to. A little convoluted, but it should work on a networked receiver, like my H21-200 as well, don't you think?

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#66 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:42 PM

... is there anyway to add the local sports channels (I.e. FSN) to the channel lists. It doesn't show up as a channel I can select. Thanks!

I updated the code that fetches channels for the customizable version to show channel #s < 700 (was 600 before). YOu may need to select all channels on the info tab (maybe not though). If that doesn't do it, let me know the channel # and the zip code.

The filtering for DirecTV packages isn't very good. You'll see lots of channels you don't get with packages (network, a few movie channels, sports, etc) but over time that should get refined. No real harm in having them there, just a waste of real estate on the screen, but it is a little confusing. Of course, the next time DirecTV makes a big channel reorder, all @%$# will break loose, but I guess "them's the breaks" (no pun intended).

#67 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:02 PM

I was thinking this would also work on a networked HD receiver only, as well. It has an IP address, and since I have WHDVR, I could even tell it to record, and I would be prompted for which DVR to record to. A little convoluted, but it should work on a networked receiver, like my H21-200 as well, don't you think?

I don't know what it would do since I don't have that equipment and I know nothing about whole house dvr. You can see if the h21 has an interface at port 8080 (http://your.h21.ip.address:8080 from a web browser) but even if it does, it may be different than the DVRs.

Either way, I can't get info from the DVR using the techniques I use (AJAX calls) because of built in security in web browsers, so I can't retrieve play lists or other info. it might be possible for the app to record future shows by going through manual steps (menu>?>manual record>... ) but that is more work (and subject to more breakage) than I care to embark on. And I'm pretty sure that if I spend another minute on this this weekend, my wife will make sure I find out exactly where Jimmy Hoffa went. (is that too obscure a reference now? Showing my age?)

#68 OFFLINE   code4code5

code4code5

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:19 PM

Absolutely fantastic! I can only imagine the hours if tinkering and heartache it must have taken to get this running. That said, I hate to sound like a "thanks, now here's a kick in the teeth" kind if guys, but would it be possible to add page up/down buttons to the "controls" tab? In my mind, that would be perfect.

#69 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:48 AM

AWESOME!!
2 - HR20-100s
1 - HR21-100
1 - HR21-700
1 - HR34 Genie
1 - H24-100
1 - H24-200
SWM16/DECA

#70 OFFLINE   p010ne

p010ne

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts
  • Locationdecatur, tx

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:28 AM

Your channel selector needs an update to provide selecting a dash "-" for those of us who use DirecTV AM21!
Eighter from Decatur, County Seat of Wise (of course it's in Texas)

#71 OFFLINE   joshferg

joshferg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

I updated the code that fetches channels for the customizable version to show channel #s < 700 (was 600 before). YOu may need to select all channels on the info tab (maybe not though). If that doesn't do it, let me know the channel # and the zip code.

The filtering for DirecTV packages isn't very good. You'll see lots of channels you don't get with packages (network, a few movie channels, sports, etc) but over time that should get refined. No real harm in having them there, just a waste of real estate on the screen, but it is a little confusing. Of course, the next time DirecTV makes a big channel reorder, all @%$# will break loose, but I guess "them's the breaks" (no pun intended).

Thanks for the update!! Just wanted to let you know that FSN now shows up in the list of available channels to choose from but when added it doesn't show up in the channel list. Any ideas??

#72 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,890 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

I don't know what it would do since I don't have that equipment and I know nothing about whole house dvr. You can see if the h21 has an interface at port 8080 (http://your.h21.ip.address:8080 from a web browser) but even if it does, it may be different than the DVRs.

Either way, I can't get info from the DVR using the techniques I use (AJAX calls) because of built in security in web browsers, so I can't retrieve play lists or other info. it might be possible for the app to record future shows by going through manual steps (menu>?>manual record>... ) but that is more work (and subject to more breakage) than I care to embark on. And I'm pretty sure that if I spend another minute on this this weekend, my wife will make sure I find out exactly where Jimmy Hoffa went. (is that too obscure a reference now? Showing my age?)

Don't even think about it, as I was only talking about "playing around" and seeing what would happen. If I get time, I'll test it and report back, but it really is of no real consequence.

You've done an excellent job with all the heavy lifting. We really appreciate it!

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#73 OFFLINE   p010ne

p010ne

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts
  • Locationdecatur, tx

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:09 PM

Your channel selector needs an update to provide selecting a dash "-" for those of us who use DirecTV AM21!

I see that you have implemented the DASH, But for some WEIRD reason - it Does Not seem to work??
Normaly just entering a dash on a remote returns receiver information!
The AM21 requires the dash for additional local channels!
What do you suppose is wrong?

#74 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:54 PM

re dash -- typo on my part. Should work now.

I am now redirecting new users to the customizable app. Details at http://sillysot.com/dtv.

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. For the curious, check the known issues page.

#75 OFFLINE   p010ne

p010ne

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts
  • Locationdecatur, tx

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:39 PM

re dash -- typo on my part. Should work now.

I am now redirecting new users to the customizable app. Details at http://sillysot.com/dtv.

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. For the curious, check the known issues page.

Are you able to enter channel digits followed by the dash? It does not work for me - I get the unit's information when I enter the dash? Probably nothing you can do about that?
May not even be able to use the dash to tailor local channel favorites?

#76 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:16 PM

Try reloading the page (info tab). I can use the dash in a channel # (4-2 for example) and that changes the channel and if I enter dash w/o a number, it shows the receiver info. You might need to clear the browser cache too (safari cache in an iPod) but don't clear cookies.

#77 OFFLINE   p010ne

p010ne

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts
  • Locationdecatur, tx

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:33 PM

Try reloading the page (info tab). I can use the dash in a channel # (4-2 for example) and that changes the channel and if I enter dash w/o a number, it shows the receiver info. You might need to clear the browser cache too (safari cache in an iPod) but don't clear cookies.

I have HR24-200 & AM21 using my iPod touch. I am pleased that it works for you but I am having problems!

#78 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:19 AM

I can only guess that the HR24's internal web server, is not forwarding the dash command to the AM21. I've never heard of the AM21 before this post, but I think you said you are seeing the receiver info and that would indicate that the HR24 is seeing the dash command correctly (you are getting the receiver info, no?).

There is another means by which I might be able to send commands, but I don't want to do this in the public page right now...
From a web browser http://your-dvr-addr...major=x&minor=y

x and y are before and after the dash. For example, for 4-2
http://192.168.10.13...major=4&minor=2

That might return a file, but just ignore that. Let me know if the channel changes

Edited by waltz49, 29 November 2010 - 01:26 AM.

#79 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:23 AM

I finally got around to setting this up in my Nexus1. Wow! Nice job. It was very easy to setup and works like a charm. The only snag is that turning on wifi turns off 3g/data (phone function, not app issue) so I have to toggle between the two for guide updates and dvr control.
As was stated in a earlier post using this app the dvr response is faster than using a remote.
Again...Excellent job.
Not sure I want to set this up in Melissa's iphone, that might result in dueling smart phones. :lol:

#80 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:27 AM

For example, for 4-2
http://192.168.10.13...major=4&minor=2

This works. Just tried it on my HR20-700 and was able to tune to 2-1 and 4-1.

EDIT: I do get a "code 200" if I try to tune to a channel I'm already tuned-to.

Edited by Steve, 29 November 2010 - 07:35 AM.

/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...