Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

iPhone based remote control for DirecTV DVR

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   p010ne

p010ne

Icon

• Registered
  • 526 posts
  • Locationdecatur, tx

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:58 AM

This works. Just tried it on my HR20-700 and was able to tune to 2-1 and 4-1.

EDIT: I do get a "code 200" if I try to tune to a channel I'm already tuned-to.

Yes, this is what happens but it works!

{"status": {
"code": 200,
"msg": "OK.",
"query": "/tv/tune?major=5&minor=1"
}

Eighter from Decatur, County Seat of Wise (of course it's in Texas)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:30 AM

OK. Thanks. That is how stations are tuned from the channels list already, but the keypad buttons don't do it that way right now because they send one key at a time (so I don't have to require the Enter key). I'll look at buffering those so it will send keys maybe a second or 2 after the last keypress or on enter. Gotta think about what would be best there because I don't want to slow down response time for those without the extra box.

#83 OFFLINE   HDinVT

HDinVT

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:25 PM

Nice job. Works best with Dolphin browser in full screen mode on my Droid-X. I'd like the list and chan/page buttons on the same tab. You could replace info with list. I rarely use info, but I could be in the minority on this. Thanks for the work you've done.
Subscriber Since: June 1998
HR20-700 [eSATA - 1TB WD in an Thermaltake Max 5 enclosure] & HR21-100 [1TB internal HD]
AU9S with SL3-SWM -> PI -> SWS-4 splitter

#84 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:48 AM

Failure due to DirecTV changes

DirecTV is currently updating the online web guide on which the remote app depends and the remote is not able to fetch channels.

http://www.directv.c...rtainment/guide

It looks like they are going out of their way to make the web guide really hard to use. They will be showing 10 channels at a time, and force you to use the mouse to scroll through the channels, with a several second delay on each scroll. If what they are doing is permanent, seeing what's on 200 channels will take lots of work and frustration.

I don't know if after this the remote will be fixable and, from what I've seen of the web changes, the web guide will be equally unusable. Hopefully someone in DirecTV management will nix this, but since the DirecTV website has always been a sales tool and not a destination for existing customers, I'm not optimistic.

#85 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:25 AM

From what I've read in another thread, people seem to really like the new web guide. I've yet to see it myself, as it's gradually being rolled out.

Sorry to hear it messes up your app, it was a really neat feature.

#86 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:29 AM

I like the functions too, I just don't care for the fact that it is hard to use if you want to see things quickly. If they'd add either the ability to see many more channels, or fast keyboard only scrolling, I'd be OK with it. It requires a mouse so it is hard to use on a laptop (which generally has a slower-to-use mouse interface than a desktop). They could load the schedule in the background and not make me wait for every scroll. Right now it is about 3 seconds for each scroll -- an eternity for my A.D.D. rattled brain. By the time a scroll refreshes, I'm off thinking about something else (like the fact that I just watched a 'wait' graphic spinning around).

I have been in IT since the 70's and I still remember the paper from 1982, almost 30 years ago(!) that extolled the virtues of sub-second response time, and the destructive result of making users wait. http://www.vm.ibm.co...iott/evrrt.html

I'm hoping I can find an an API to get current programming data after this update is rolled out. If anyone can aid me in this quest, I'd be grateful. Otherwise, I'll have to trash the listings.

#87 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:38 AM

Right now it is about 3 seconds for each scroll -- an eternity for my A.D.D. rattled brain. By the time a scroll refreshes, I'm off thinking about something else (like the fact that I just watched a 'wait' graphic spinning around).

Haven't tried it on a laptop, but scrolling takes less than a second on my desktop (wireless N to Comcast).

Sorry about the effect this is having on your iPhone remote app. I have it on my desktop, laptop, two iPhones, iPad, and iPod Touch. Strange, there was no guide data yesterday, worked fine last night, except I had to redo my locals, and then this morning your disclaimer pops up.

#88 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:21 AM

Channel lists have been restored in the remote app.

Unfortunately, local channels are not available but the upside is that it should be faster for most requests. I took off the zip code since I can't get local channel info anymore.

I'll try to add a way to get local channels in the list, even though I can't tell what is playing on them. Might be a while.

This was a rush job, so there may well be errors (like not updating correctly). Let me know if you see problems.

For those who watch TV in front of a PC, the channel list was changed last week to fill the screen so you can see everything in one place.

#89 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:35 AM

Too bad about the locals, I hope you can restore that.
In the channel guide the channel category is blocking the "Expand All" tab.
Also the channel numbers aren't listed in numerical or alphabetical order, seems to be random listing. That might mbe something I'm doing or a setting I can't find.
Using a Nexus1.
Thanks for all of your efforts.

#90 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:40 AM

Thanks. I'll have a look. The out of order lists might be the default lists. I created those manually but I'll make them ordered. BTW the programs shown might be out of date now. I have to put in a fix for that.

#91 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:48 AM

Crud.....didn't know you manually put in the channels...that's alot of work!

#92 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:40 PM

Nah, for the defaults I put in the ones I watch but most things are dynamic.

#93 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

Local channels are back in the remote control.

http://sillysot.com/dtvtest/

DirecTV no longer specifically shows the 'dash' channels (like 4-2) in their lists so if you have those, you may see the wrong channel tuned or listed. If you see those problems, please let me know. I'll need the correct channel numbers and associated ID from my lookup page.

#94 OFFLINE   bralph

bralph

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:54 PM

I swear there was a menu button when I first started using this, but I don't see one anymore.

#95 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:12 PM

I swear there was a menu button when I first started using this, but I don't see one anymore.

Scroll down on the keypad page to find the menu button.

#96 OFFLINE   Game Fan

Game Fan

Baseball Is Life

• DBSTalk Club
  • 739 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:36 PM

waltz49 I just tried this and I love this little app. Works great on my Iphone4 and my laptop. I can control either of my HR20-700's. Its so much faster than the remote its scary. Thanks and keep up the good work.

#97 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:14 PM

Thanks. Just for laughs, I just added 4 macros to the "Controls" tab for things I occasionally use but can never remember how to find. No user defined ones now, but maybe someday if these work. They are completely dependent on the receiver's software so I don't know if they will work for others. Time between commands is 1/2 second and the info|exit are so they should work from almost anywhere.

View Upcoming info|exit|guide|info|down|down|down|select
Closed Caption info|exit|yellow|down|down|select
On Demand Channels info|exit|menu|down|select|down|down|select|down|down|down|down|select
Series Manager info|exit|menu|down|down|down|select|down|select

Folks, pls let me know if these work on your receiver & if there are others you think might be of general interest. Note, I don't get any additional sports, movies or specialty packages so I can't test that stuff.

#98 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:25 AM

HR20-700
Phone: Nexus 1
The new macros are working great. Actually it is fun watching it go through the menus, and doing it a lot faster than doing it with the remote.

In the channel screen the "Expand All" tab is still covered by the "Frequent" heading.

All in all you have done a excellent job. Now I don't have to worry about my Harmony remote batteries needing a recharge, and it can be recharged while using this app to take its place.

#99 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:58 AM

Folks, pls let me know if these work on your receiver & if there are others you think might be of general interest. Note, I don't get any additional sports, movies or specialty packages so I can't test that stuff.

How hard would it be to put in a QWERTY keyboard, and with a key press, it automatically "triple taps" the appropriate number key, the right amount of times to get that letter, then arrows over to the next position (just in case the next letter is on the same number key)?

A quick qwerty interface on smart search would be phenomenal. Not sure if the response time would allow this to be reasonable though. Also its tough to time properly, but you never know.

#100 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:05 AM

Thanks. Just for laughs, I just added 4 macros to the "Controls" tab for things I occasionally use but can never remember how to find. No user defined ones now, but maybe someday if these work. They are completely dependent on the receiver's software so I don't know if they will work for others. Time between commands is 1/2 second and the info|exit are so they should work from almost anywhere.

View Upcoming info|exit|guide|info|down|down|down|select
Closed Caption info|exit|yellow|down|down|select
On Demand Channels info|exit|menu|down|select|down|down|select|down|down|down|down|select
Series Manager info|exit|menu|down|down|down|select|down|select

I think a macro that takes you to the To Do List might be one that folks use often.
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...