Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

iPhone based remote control for DirecTV DVR

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,920 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:07 AM

I think a macro that takes you to the To Do List might be one that folks use often.

Big Time! One of my most often used lists.
...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock
HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD
DirecTV since 1995

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:15 PM

Program Search and a To-Do List macro are now available.

Timing on the program search may be too fast so take care.

For what its worth, I did try to use the "numbers like a cell phone" method of entering letters instead of selecting letters in the on-screen keypad, it looks better but it it is woefully unreliable because of network & DVR timing problems. It is also slower because of the required time between letters.

You'll probably need to exit and reload the app to pick up the changes.

http://sillysot.com/dtv

#103 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:40 PM

Wow waltz, I am impressed! The search does work and it's neat to see it do it's thing. That had to be complicated because you always have to know where the cursor is and how far and what direction to travel to get to the next letter.

Good job! I'm really going to start using this more than the regular remote. I love the guide too and it's nice to use and change channels without interrupting the tv screen while you browse.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST: Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#104 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:46 AM

I love this! Especially as I almost always have my laptop in use, or nearby, and it is faster and more reliable than the remote.
So far I've used it only on my MacBookPro, on Chrome. I'll install it later on my iPhone, but don't think I'll use it that much on that interface.

A big thank you!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#105 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationOn a long and lonesome highway, east of Omaha

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

Very nice app! Can't wait to mess with my wife and kids with this later tonight!

I'm using a Palm Pre with WebOS v1.4.5. I have Accept Cookies=Yes. The IP Address will save, but I cannot find a way to save my Zip Code and Local Channel selections.

Am I missing something? Or, will I need to wait for a save preferences option.

#106 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:10 PM

@waltz49

Excellent job on this app! :D I would like to make one suggestion. I have two HDDVRS. All of my shows are recorded so I use the "list" button constantly for finding my recorded shows.

I know you have a 'list' button on the [control] page but it's not very conviently placed for an often used button. I personally would like it on both the [keypad] & [control] pages placed somewhere WITHOUT having to scroll down to find it.

Can you squeeze it in there somewhere or maybe swap out another button that is not used that much? I'm thinking possibly swapping out "exit" or "Back" for the "List" button. Those buttons have similar functions.

What does everybody else think? Wouldn't you want the "list" button up front and center on the controls?
DirecTV since '99, Grandfathered DNS Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox | HR24-500 | HR23-700 | Unsupported MRV

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

#107 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Re palm: I don't have any way to test that. I can only say 'it should work' ... no consolation there ... but it could be that the cookies are just too big. I think there are some limitations on cookie size in some browsers (and probably the W3C specs) and the channel lists might exceed that. Just a guess.

Re button placement: I'd really like to just make that configurable. Ya know, give a set of buttons and let you decide where they go. But that will be a long term goal. I have to work on saving settings to the server first(since those are settings you'd really not want to lose) and I haven't gotten around to that.

Re button overlay on Nexus 1: Same as palm answer but there are a few things I can play with. I'll look at it.

By the way, to save network traffic and other reasons, channel updates only occur when requests are made after the next quarter hour (eg: 1:00, 1:15, 1:30...) and that generally works, but I'm seeing lots of timeouts at the top and bottom of the hour, even without other people hitting the server. Anyone else seeing that? I'm trying to come up with a good way to avoid that if it is a problem.

#108 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

@waltz49

What? no love for the "list" button change? :D
DirecTV since '99, Grandfathered DNS Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox | HR24-500 | HR23-700 | Unsupported MRV

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

#109 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:16 PM

Great app Waltz. Just downloaded it today. I'm using my Itouch with no problems at all. Just a few questions please for you or anyone else here that can help a tech challenged person:

I don't understand how to use macros on the ITouch with this app. I've read this whole thread and see where you've got macros avail for the "To Do List" "Program Search List" and the "List" buttons but how do I program them?

Also how do I list my digital channels on my locals? I've got all my locals but just no digitals. They are:

5-1
5-2
11-1
11-2
22-1
28-1
50-1
50-2

Like I said, great app. I cannot believe how much faster it is than the regular DTV remote. Thanks.

#110 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationOn a long and lonesome highway, east of Omaha

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:32 PM

I cannot believe how much faster it is than the regular DTV remote.

Yeah, I just had a DTV installer stop by to check on my setup, and showed him your app Waltz. He thought it was great and was going to put it on his phone then mess around with the guys back at the shop. LOL

#111 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:49 PM

The macros are not programmable at this time.

For local channels,go to the info tab (far right) and enter your zip code and check the box to enable customization. Then go back to the channel list and on the category you want (probably local channels) press the tiny little edit icon, the white box on the far right. That should give you a list of channels including locals.

However... I need to add digital channels to the app manually. I need to know the channel id that DirecTV uses for the digital channel so that I can tell the difference between, say 4 and 4-2. So... to get that, you need to compare info from a few different sources...

• Use the edit feature of the app to add all local channels that are listed and then return to the channels tab to see what programs are shown.
  • Go to my lookup page http://sillysot.com/dtvtest/lookup.php and enter your zip to get the channel ids (best if done on a PC rather than an iPhone)
  • Go to the Guide on the real DVR
  • Compare what is listed in the app channel list to what is in the guide to determine which channel id corresponds to which channel number.
  • Let me know the zip code plus the channel number and the corresponding channel id for each channel which has a dash'ed number. For example in Raleigh, 27602, channel id 1094 is channel 4-2 and 4166 is channel 4.

If there is not a channel id for the station, I can't do anything with it. I mention this because it looks like you live in the same place I do and I don't get 5-2, 11-2, 17-2 and 50-2 over DirecTV (I do get them over the air). Do you have an additional box or service for these?
Edit: I see that Cary 27511 does look like it gets them, but Apex does not. I still need to know which channel is which though.

One small note, my app filters out channels that are currently showing 'Paid Programming' so it is possible, though unlikely that you won't see some.

Edited by waltz49, 16 December 2010 - 02:58 PM.

#112 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:07 PM

First of all, thanks for the quick response. Yes, it does look like we're in the same area. Cool. Also I'm using the AM21 for DTV local digitals. Here's the info, thanks:

Zip 27529

Channel Channel ID

5-1 2954
11-1 2955
17-1 2956
22-1 8769
50-1 2957

That's a shame about not being able to pick up the -2 & -3's. Still a great app. Thanks again.

#113 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:34 PM

So you see 4-2 ok? (since that is already programmed in).

Since I don't get these, is id 561 the regular directv feed for channel 5 and 2954 (5-1) is different programming? And the 5-2 we get over the air is not listed by DirecTV?

If 5 and 5-1 are the same, I don't really want to make changes for every market (huge amount of maintenance there) but if the programming is different or the picture quality is better, maybe I can present a choice of channels in the app.

Or is 5-2 Over the air listed as 5-1 by DirecTV?

Edited by waltz49, 16 December 2010 - 03:40 PM.

#114 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:35 PM

561 is the DTV local channel 5 and 2954 is the OTA digital equivalent.

5 & 5-1 are the same. Sometimes we will get a ballgame of some type on 5-1 that isn't carried on the regualar DTV local channel. The reason I like to have them is for inclement weather. The non digitals (i.e., DTV locals) seem to go down anytime there is even a "chance" of bad weather. At least by using the digitals I am able to see me locals when DTV channels are down. Also the 5-1 type of channel always has a better pic but that's ok, I appreciate your concern. Thanks.

#115 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

I have three DVRs that all have static IPs.....
Bedroom 192.168.0.104
HomeTheater 192.168.0.105
Kids 192.168.0.106

I'm using the www.sillysot.com/dtvtest....entering each IP, local zip code and then adding to iPhone main screen. I did this three times for erach IP, Bed DVR, HT DVR and Kids DVR. The problem is when I open each icon the IP addresses are all the same....it is like only one (last) IP address is being seen/saved. I see the note in the How-To to change the URL to the different IP addresses but not sure where/how to do that on the iPhone. I know this http://sillysot.com/...192.168.xxx.xxx used to be the solution but when I tried in Safari web browser no luck....guess that is old.

UPDATE: After mucking with the phone for couple hours I somehow got two icons to work as seperate IPs but the third one I add is always the same as the second I added. Somehow (not sure how) I got icon #1 and #2 to be seperate IPs....but can't repeat this for a third. I'm sure I'm doing something stupid....let me know. :confused:

Thx.

Edited by thekochs, 16 December 2010 - 09:43 PM.

Speak Your Mind..........

Those Who Mind Don't Matter

Those Who Matter Won't Mind

#116 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,095 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

Ok, finally got around to trying this tonight.. Your the man! I suggest you add the link to your program in your signature..

#117 OFFLINE   dgsiiinc

dgsiiinc

AllStar

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:30 PM

Very, very cool. Beats the heck out of using my remote!

#118 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:49 PM

Basically, adding the ?IP=x.x.x.x to the URL when opening Safari (before saving the icon) should do it. I updated the instructions at the site.
Mobile phone and web browser based DirecTV remote at http://waltzremote.com

#119 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:00 AM

I just tried your app using my iPod Touch.

Great job!!

:goodjob:

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 C41W-100, 1 WVBR0-01, 1 HR24-500

Original install on Apr. 20, 2008 - C41W & WVB self installed on Dec. 27, 2014 - HR34 & C31 installed on Aug. 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#120 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:04 AM

I have three DVRs that all have static IPs.....
Bedroom 192.168.0.104
HomeTheater 192.168.0.105
Kids 192.168.0.106

I'm using the www.sillysot.com/dtvtest....entering each IP, local zip code and then adding to iPhone main screen. I did this three times for erach IP, Bed DVR, HT DVR and Kids DVR. The problem is when I open each icon the IP addresses are all the same....it is like only one (last) IP address is being seen/saved. I see the note in the How-To to change the URL to the different IP addresses but not sure where/how to do that on the iPhone. I know this http://sillysot.com/...192.168.xxx.xxx used to be the solution but when I tried in Safari web browser no luck....guess that is old.

UPDATE: After mucking with the phone for couple hours I somehow got two icons to work as seperate IPs but the third one I add is always the same as the second I added. Somehow (not sure how) I got icon #1 and #2 to be seperate IPs....but can't repeat this for a third. I'm sure I'm doing something stupid....let me know. :confused:

Thx.

Please help on this...I'm stuck...I know that I basically somehow have two icons representing the same IP but not sure how to correct. Can someone outline the steps of howto create seperate DVR icons/IPs ? I thought the program was configurable and I did change the IP but it changes the other icon no matter whch one I go into. I know this can be done because I have a third that is not effected....so I did something right....just have no idea what/how. I've tried to clear cookies/history/etc in the phone before creating new icon...that does not work. I'm stuck !! Thx.

#121 OFFLINE   waltz49

waltz49

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:56 AM

To create icons for multiple DVRs, assuming an iPod Touch or similar;
For each DVR
  • Start Safari
  • In the address field enter http://sillysot.com/dtvtest/?ip=x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the DVR address
  • Once the app comes up in Safari, create a home screen icon by using the plus sign at the bottom of the safari screen.
  • Exit safari and use the icon from now on.
You don't need to change the address in the info page after you create the icon.

More details are at the web page listed on the info page of the app.

Edited by waltz49, 17 December 2010 - 11:36 AM.
fixed missing "i" in sample URL

Mobile phone and web browser based DirecTV remote at http://waltzremote.com

#122 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:42 AM

To create icons for multiple DVRs, assuming an iPod Touch or similar;
For each DVR

• Start Safari
  • In the address field enter http://sllysot.com/dtvtest/?ip=x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the DVR address
  • Once the app comes up in Safari, create a home screen icon by using the plus sign at the bottom of the safari screen.
  • Exit safari and use the icon from now on.
You don't need to change the address in the info page after you create the icon.

More details are at the web page listed on the info page of the app.

Worked great !!...thx.....should add this to your documentation page....much clearer overview....you kinda have half of it but the above is very clear.

Also, above there is small typo you made in URL....forgot "i".
//sillysot.com/dtvtest/?ip=x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the DVR address

#123 OFFLINE   hdjii

hdjii

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:11 AM

Worked great !!...thx.....should add this to your documentation page....much clearer overview....you kinda have half of it but the above is very clear.

Also, above there is small typo you made in URL....forgot "i".
//sillysot.com/dtvtest/?ip=x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the DVR address

I think this is a great application and hope its development continues. It works well for me using three receivers. However, I can't get it to work with "http//sillysot.com/dtvtest/?ip=x.x.x.x" as the URL. I tried Firefox as well a Chrome browsers with no success. Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Howard

#124 OFFLINE   hdjii

hdjii

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:16 AM

I think this is a great application and hope its development continues. It works well for me using three receivers. However, I can't get it to work with "http//sillysot.com/dtvtest/?ip=x.x.x.x" as the URL. I tried Firefox as well a Chrome browsers with no success. Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Howard

The URL I posted above is missing the colon(:) but I am actually using "http://sillysot.com/dtvtest/?ip=x.x.x.x".

Howard

#125 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:43 PM

The URL I posted above is missing the colon(:) but I am actually using "http://sillysot.com/dtvtest/?ip=x.x.x.x".

Howard

Perhaps a n00by question, but did you replace x.x.x.x with your DVR's actual ip?

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 C41W-100, 1 WVBR0-01, 1 HR24-500

Original install on Apr. 20, 2008 - C41W & WVB self installed on Dec. 27, 2014 - HR34 & C31 installed on Aug. 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...