Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fox Shuffles Midseason Schedule - Moves "American Idol" to Wednesday-Thursday

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:02 AM

Pick your news source, but from the news release:

Television's No. 1 series, AMERICAN IDOL, moves to Wednesdays and Thursdays beginning with a two-night premiere event Wednesday, Jan. 19 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) and Thursday, Jan. 20 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT).

They have listed their midseason schedule (see below). The sad thing is that "Fringe" will be moved to Friday = the death scheduling move.

FOX 2010-2011 MIDSEASON SCHEDULE
(All times ET/PT except as noted)

MONDAY
Monday, Jan. 10:
  • 8:00-10:00 PM LIE TO ME (Two-Hour Episode)
Mondays, beginning Jan. 17:
  • 8:00-9:00 PM HOUSE (All-New Episodes)
  • 9:00-10:00 PM LIE TO ME (All-New Episodes)
Mondays, beginning Feb. 7
  • 8:00-9:00 PM HOUSE (All-New Episodes)
  • 9:00-10:00 PM THE CHICAGO CODE (Series Premiere)

TUESDAY
Tuesdays, beginning Jan. 4:
  • 8:00-9:00 PM GLEE (Encore Episodes)
  • 9:00-10:00 PM MILLION DOLLAR MONEY DROP (All-New Episodes)
Tuesdays, beginning Feb. 8:
  • 8:00-9:00 PM GLEE (All-New Episodes)
  • 9:00-9:30 PM RAISING HOPE (All-New Episodes)
  • 9:30-10:00 PM MIXED SIGNALS (Series Premiere)

WEDNESDAY
Wednesday, Jan. 5 and 12:
  • 8:00-10:00 PM HUMAN TARGET (All-New, Two-Hour Episodes)
Wednesday, Jan. 19:
  • 8:00-10:00 PM AMERICAN IDOL (Two-Hour Season Premiere, Part One)
Wednesdays, beginning Jan. 26:
  • 8:00-9:00 PM AMERICAN IDOL
  • 9:00-10:00 PM HUMAN TARGET (All-New Episodes)
Wednesdays, beginning Feb. 16:
  • 8:00-10:00 PM AMERICAN IDOL (Two-Hour Episodes)
Wednesdays, beginning April 6:
  • 8:00-9:30 PM AMERICAN IDOL (90-Minute Episodes)
  • 9:30-10:00 PM BREAKING IN (Series Premiere)

THURSDAY
Thursdays, beginning Jan. 6:
  • 8:00-9:00 PM MILLION DOLLAR MONEY DROP (All-New Episodes)
  • 9:00-10:00 PM BONES (Encore Episodes)
Thursdays, beginning Jan. 20:
  • 8:00-9:00 PM AMERICAN IDOL (Season Premiere, Part Two)
  • 9:00-10:00 PM BONES (Time Period Premiere)

FRIDAY
Friday, Jan. 7:
  • 8:00 PM-CC ET AT&T COTTON BOWL (Live)
Friday, Jan. 21:
  • 8:00-9:00 PM KITCHEN NIGHTMARES (Season Premiere)
  • 9:00-10:00 PM KITCHEN NIGHTMARES (Encore)
Fridays, beginning Jan. 28:
  • 8:00-9:00 PM KITCHEN NIGHTMARES (All-New Episodes)
  • 9:00-10:00 PM FRINGE (Time Period Premiere)

SATURDAY
Saturday, Jan. 15:
  • 8:00 PM-CC ET NFC DIVISION PLAYOFFS (Live)
Saturdays, beginning Jan. 22 (no change to lineup):
  • 8:00-8:30 PM COPS (All-New Episodes)
  • 8:30-9:00 PM COPS (Encore Episodes)
  • 9:00-10:00 PM AMERICA'S MOST WANTED (All-New Episodes)

SUNDAY
Sunday, Jan. 9:
  • 8:00-8:30 PM THE SIMPSONS (All-New Episode)
  • 8:30-9:00 PM BOB'S BURGERS (Series Premiere)
  • 9:00-9:30 PM FAMILY GUY (All-New Episode)
  • 9:30-10:00 PM THE CLEVELAND SHOW (Time Period Premiere/All-New Episode)
Sunday, Jan. 16 and 23:
  • 7:00-7:30 PM THE SIMPSONS (Encore Episodes)
  • 7:30-8:00 PM AMERICAN DAD (Time Period Premiere)
  • 8:00-8:30 PM THE SIMPSONS (All-New Episodes)
  • 8:30-9:00 PM BOB'S BURGERS (All-New Episodes)
  • 9:00-9:30 PM FAMILY GUY (All-New Episodes)
  • 9:30-10:00 PM THE CLEVELAND SHOW (All-New Episodes)
Sunday, Jan. 30:
  • 7:00 PM-CC ET NFC PRO BOWL (Live)
Sunday, Feb. 6:
  • 6:00 PM-CC ET SUPER BOWL XLV (Live)
  • 10:30 PM ET/7:30 PT GLEE (All-New Special Episode; Approximate Start Time)
Sundays, beginning Feb. 13 (no change to lineup):
  • 7:00-7:30 PM THE SIMPSONS
  • 7:30-8:00 PM AMERICAN DAD
  • 8:00-8:30 PM THE SIMPSONS
  • 8:30-9:00 PM BOB'S BURGERS
  • 9:00-9:30 PM FAMILY GUY
  • 9:30-10:00 PM THE CLEVELAND SHOW

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:05 AM

The sad thing is that "Fringe" will be moved to Friday = the death scheduling move.

I wonder about that. Your previous ratings threads showed Fringe's audience to be pretty loyal. Hopefully the viewers will make the switch.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:06 PM

I wonder about that. Your previous ratings threads showed Fringe's audience to be pretty loyal. Hopefully the viewers will make the switch.

That's true and I hope you're right. But a lot of people, unlike me, have regular lives that don't involve staying home almost every Friday night. Most fans who record the show for later viewing will continue to do so and Fox is trying to sell advertisers on some ratings combination of Live+7 plus commercial viewing.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:34 PM

I want to be optimistic but looking again at your last ratings chart, Friday night looks pretty grim. About 20 million less viewers for the first two hours. The question is, will Fox accept the predictably lower numbers or are they killing the show? :(

#5 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:37 PM

They should move Fringe back to Tuesdays where it started. I hope it survives for another season after this one.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#6 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:40 AM

With geezer Tyler and has-been middle-aged Lopez, this is now literally rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Glug glug. Love may go on, but not this iceberg-bound garbage scow.

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,840 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:55 AM

With geezer Tyler and has-been middle-aged Lopez, this is now literally rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Glug glug. Love may go on, but not this iceberg-bound garbage scow.

Will you admit you're wrong when it's the #1 show again? :rolleyes:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,450 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:11 AM

We love Fringe, but moving it to Friday night might not be a bad option. Right now it's up against 3 other Thursday shows we record, Office, CSI and Grey's. Thank goodness for DVR's, because if we were forced to watch "live" TV only, it might not be our first choice.

Same can be said for Idol moving to Wednesday's. Besides recording that, we'll also record The Middle, Modern Family, Criminal Minds and L&O:SVU at the same time.
/steve

#9 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:37 PM

Does this mean Running Wilde is cancelled and I can delete it from my DVR?

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,840 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

Does this mean Running Wilde is cancelled and I can delete it from my DVR?

http://www.thefutonc...28-970313/8990/

-- "Running Wilde" will air its one-hour "winter finale" on Tuesday, December 28 at 9:00/8:00c. Assuming its upcoming schedule holds - new episodes on November 30 and December 7, pre-empted by back-to-back repeats of "Glee" on December 14 and pre-empted by "Million Dollar Money Drop" on December 21 - that leaves three more episodes of its original 13-episode order yet to air. Repeats nevertheless will continue in the Saturday, midnight/11:00c slot following "The Good Guys."

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,018 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:33 PM

We'll make the switch here, as long as the DVR does. I have to admit I don't really care what day my favorite shows air on as long as they are recorded.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#12 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:36 PM

No question Idol will get the looky-loo syndrome for the first few weeks. The same sick human weakness for slowing down and staring at accident scenes that causes so many traffic jams. But after folks tire of the human wreckage and trauma to the audience, the numbers will tank.

#13 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,018 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

I am sure this will be the second season that I don't watch Idol at all. I never saw any of the first and absolutely hated the last season. Nothing to do with the time slot, I've just lost interest.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#14 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:31 PM

They are finally making the music more relevant to folks under 60. I always wondered why they make kids sing nothing but creaky Standards from the 40's and Barry Manilow tunes who, as soon as they win, are supposed to immediately turn around and sell contemporary pop music. For the most part, they sang nothing in the contest that sounded remotely like what's on the radio or actually getting downloaded.

But how much you wanna bet they'll just pay brief lip service to contemporary tunes? Their dilemma is that contemporary popular music is just like politics: it's become super-polarized and broken off into mutually-exclusive niches like hip-hop and country, or metal and light alt rock. These tribes all hate each other. And TV is all about consensus.

Have fun solving that one, Simon! Hope you solve it better than you did the judging personnel dilemma! The very definition of epic fail.

#15 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:38 PM

I always wondered why they make kids sing nothing but creaky Standards from the 40's and Barry Manilow tunes who, as soon as they win, are supposed to immediately turn around and sell contemporary pop music.

Maybe Fox is to cheap to pay the licensing fees to the copyright owners of anything more current than Manilow?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#16 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:56 AM

I think it's mainly a demographics problem. A lot of older folks watch the show who would never download any music at all. They'd hate the actual albums that the top Idol artists put out. Hip hop is the biggest music craze there is, but there isn't any on Idol. Because it's so polarizing. 20% of the viewing public is fanatical about it, but 80% hates it and would turn the show off in a second if they included it.

The Grammies and AMA awards shows HAVE to spotlight mainly rap-oriented stuff since that's what's actually selling. I watch those shows but keep my finger on the FF button until there's some actual MUSIC content being performed. Generally about 5% of the show.

With Idol, there were growing complaints about the incredibly stilted music genre selections. Just far too non-relevant.

I'll watch a little of Idol. Kinda like watching the last scene in Thelma & Louise. Except this time you get to see the full descent and the crash & burn at the bottom. That's entertainment.

#17 OFFLINE   Whogaman

Whogaman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:09 AM

If "Fringe" is moved to Friday nughts, the show is doomed. Usually a move to Friday is when a network wants an excuse to ax a low rated show, and move it to when no one watches. Too bad. "Fringe" is a good show.

Peace Whoga
"Like the only real magic--the magic of knowledge"

#18 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:07 AM

Something similar to what you thought after the first season as well I'm sure. The show is entering it's 11th season and is still gonna be strong. Will it live up to previous seasons rating? :shrug: But odds are it will still be a monster money maker this year even if folks turn in to watch just to see it fail.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#19 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

We'll make the switch here, as long as the DVR does. I have to admit I don't really care what day my favorite shows air on as long as they are recorded.

I too record and time-shift most everything I watch. Unfortunately we don't seem to count for much when it comes to ratings.

#20 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:57 PM

Wrong again. I was a big fan of the show up to a couple of years ago, when they went off the tracks. But even the last couple of years, Simon was the only guy bailing the scow out with his awesome stern reality-check comments. Now without him, the contestants should be singing nothing but "Nearer My God to Thee".

spam firewall