Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20-100 Case Fan Specs?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SparkyX

SparkyX

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:19 PM

Anybody know the specs of the case fan in a HR20-100? I have a noisy fan and would prefer not to swap the receiver and lose my recordings.

Thanks,

- Patrick

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   crendall

crendall

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

I have the same question. The fan in my HR20-100 is getting rather noisy. I tried replacing it with a similar fan but the fan didn't spin. Anyone have a good source for replacement fans for the HR20-100?

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:06 PM

It's a garden-variety 4.5" 12VDC fan. You can get them at any electronics parts supplier. Nothing fancy, no 2-speed logic control. just a dumb fan that spins when it sees 12 volts. Allied.com likely has them.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   crendall

crendall

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:28 PM

I picked up a fan at Best Buy that has then same dimensions and runs on 12 VDC but the fan doesn't spin and the internal temp got up to 127 degrees when I pulled the plug.

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

Well then I guess there is no fan that will ever work. :rolleyes:

Either that, or the fan was bad or you didn't hook it up right. I would think you would verify that it spun before closing the case and cooking your DVR.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:26 PM

Or peel off a sicker from the fan and drop little bit oil into.

#7 OFFLINE   SparkyX

SparkyX

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

I figured it out--it is a 80mm case fan, but a $10 Dynex fan I purchased from Best Buy wouldn't spin. I checked the power cable from the broken fan and confirmed with a volt meter that the 12V (red) and ground (black) lines needed to be swapped. I used my smallest jeweler's flatblade screwdriver to gently remove the cables out of the plug and swapped them. Works like a champ now.

On another note, for some reason my HR20-100 wouldn't successfully start up without the internal HD plugged into power and data (I have an external 1TB WD Green drive in an Antec MX-1 case). So much for sparing the HR20 the unnecessary heat.

- Patrick

#8 OFFLINE   SparkyX

SparkyX

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:53 PM

FWIW the broken fan is a JMC 8025-12LS, part number 8122271-5. Website is jmcproducts.com .

- Patrick

#9 OFFLINE   crendall

crendall

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:06 AM

SparkyX, I purchased the same Dynex fan from Best Buy. I also noticed the red and black wires needed to be swapped, and once I did that the fan started working and the internal temp is holding steady at 108 degrees.

spam firewall