Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network as a great technology competitor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,381 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:27 PM

I can't help but feel that as a company Dish Network is doing through relationships very effectively what the old Echostar company (that included Dish Network) did - bring subscribers technological innovations.

I am impressed by this level of technological offering now available through Dish:
  • The ViP722k is a dual output (1 HD, 1 SD) DVR capable of recording simultaneously 2 satellite and 2 off-the-air signals, capable of providing a reasonable on-demand offering of movies and other content, and capable of downloading a huge selection of movies and other content.
  • To provide more storage capacity, content can be moved from the 722k's internal hard drive to USB external hard drives for storage, and which drives can be connected to other ViP DVR's on the same account.
  • The 722k can be connected to a Sling Adapter, permitting the streaming of content from the 722k to the internet for "TV Everywhere" viewing and converting the 722k to a dual HD output DVR.
  • The 722k can be integrated with a Logitech Revue with Google TV permitting a broader choice of viewing options through the internet.
Yes, improvements in all of this are needed and will be made "soon" which is my way of picking on Dish, but with a smile.

I always try to remember that the first ViP622DVR's were being installed in February 2006 though there wasn't much HD available then. Where we are today deserves acknowledgment - good work, Charlie!

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:22 PM

I am looking forward to a Dish "whole home server" solution that will allow HD on all TVs. Dish is already losing customers to the competition due to the lease limit (3 receivers) effectively limiting you to 3 HDTVs with HD programming. Several times a week, my installers are having customers cancel, or nearly cancel (usually saved by 30+ minutes of discussion/explanation on the tech's part, that he doesn't get paid for) because they aren't getting HD on their TV2s, something that continues to be poorly explained, if explained at all.

I know that the WHS concept is slated to be the solution (hopefully with RVU thin-client capabilities), and that *should* be a very workable solution, but it simply can't come fast enough. When even "low income" houses now have 4, 5, and 6 HDTVs, the time has come for an "all HD" hardware solution. All of the other pieces are there, so let's BRING IT ON, Dish! :)

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#3 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 894 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:23 PM

I concur......nobody remembers the hassle of the futuristic vip622, sound issues, rebooting, low levels of storage, etc......:alterhase
I just wish the promise of "TV Everywhere" would come to fruition. Limiting the 922 to Sling only for a second view only via the web is hard to understand and on the surface seems very lame...., and now it appears the hardware (the extender) has been removed from dishTV's web pages...or so I've read. :read:
Personally I like and use the "Remote Access" features, I just wish I could sling it to my HDTV in my guest/dog house.... !pepsi! I'm not into buying another iMac or Laptop when I have a perfectly good HDTV for visiting friends and family waiting for usage. :icon_da:

:icon_band
Thank you and
Best of luck

#4 OFFLINE   Mr-Rick

Mr-Rick

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:13 PM

I am looking forward to a Dish "whole home server" solution that will allow HD on all TVs. Dish is already losing customers to the competition due to the lease limit (3 receivers) effectively limiting you to 3 HDTVs with HD programming. Several times a week, my installers are having customers cancel, or nearly cancel (usually saved by 30+ minutes of discussion/explanation on the tech's part, that he doesn't get paid for) because they aren't getting HD on their TV2s, something that continues to be poorly explained, if explained at all.

I know that the WHS concept is slated to be the solution (hopefully with RVU thin-client capabilities), and that *should* be a very workable solution, but it simply can't come fast enough. When even "low income" houses now have 4, 5, and 6 HDTVs, the time has come for an "all HD" hardware solution. All of the other pieces are there, so let's BRING IT ON, Dish! :)

I agree the next step is multi-room viewing.

But in my 13 years as a retailer, all of these technological advances are not readily accepted by the public. Case in point. When DISH came out with the 7100 (webtv DVR, the first dish DVR back in 1999), despite demonstrating the DVR there were MANY people who said, "I don't need that.... I never record things, etc." Ten years later these same people couldn't imagine watching television WITHOUT a DVR. It took a while for it to catch on.

However, there is always that SMALL percentage of people who keep up with it and want/demand more features. Hence this website.

But for DISH Network, all of this technology will NOT catapult them past DirecTV or even catch up to DirecTV.

Face it, do you think DISH does a better job than DirecTV does on touting it's technological abilities? "Pause a show and watch it in another room", "Set up timers on your Droid", etc. DISH does a lousy job in advertising these things. PocketDish was great but never really advertised and now it's gone.

In my opinion what sells BIG is CONTENT. That is what brings in the subscribers. DISH Network needs to have some exclusivity in programming or else it will be eaten alive by the competitors.

Where I am located, homes have access to TWO cable services, ONE Telco (UVerse), and of course the two satellite services. The cable/telco companies can leverage their bundles to drive stiffer competition on the video side. Whereas DirecTV only has video, it holds it's position in the market place with sports, sunday ticket, and some other exclusives. What does DISH Network have? LOGO in HD?

I think all the technology and the research is necessary. But it will not reduce the defections we are seeing to the competition.

I would like to see the following:

A move to getting exclusive programming. Something/anything that will be unique to DISH.

Invest in channels themselves. I thought DISH was onto something with their version of the weather channel. I liked it better because it was only weather and not shows/movies. This could then be sold to other cable companies. Let DISH have something to sell to other companies for revenue.

An entry level programming package. Bring back welcome pack. For anyone who owns their equipment they should be able to have welcome pack for $15 per month. Autopay and paperless billing a must. Again, you must own your equipment. There is a lot of MPEG2 equipment out there that can be deployed for this purpose.

Raise the limit of 3 receivers. Number of receivers are limited to the customers credit score. If the customer has a 787 score, take a chance and give them 3 722k's and 3 211's. (Additional outlet fees on that scenario are $55 a month. DISH will get their money back on the equipment in short order).

#5 OFFLINE   paja

paja

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

But in my 13 years as a retailer, all of these technological advances are not readily accepted by the public. Case in point. When DISH came out with the 7100 (webtv DVR, the first dish DVR back in 1999), despite demonstrating the DVR there were MANY people who said, "I don't need that.... I never record things, etc." Ten years later these same people couldn't imagine watching television WITHOUT a DVR. It took a while for it to catch on.

However, there is always that SMALL percentage of people who keep up with it and want/demand more features. Hence this website.

But for DISH Network, all of this technology will NOT catapult them past DirecTV or even catch up to DirecTV.

Face it, do you think DISH does a better job than DirecTV does on touting it's technological abilities? "Pause a show and watch it in another room", "Set up timers on your Droid", etc. DISH does a lousy job in advertising these things. PocketDish was great but never really advertised and now it's gone.

In my opinion what sells BIG is CONTENT. That is what brings in the subscribers. DISH Network needs to have some exclusivity in programming or else it will be eaten alive by the competitors.

Where I am located, homes have access to TWO cable services, ONE Telco (UVerse), and of course the two satellite services. The cable/telco companies can leverage their bundles to drive stiffer competition on the video side. Whereas DirecTV only has video, it holds it's position in the market place with sports, sunday ticket, and some other exclusives. What does DISH Network have? LOGO in HD?

I think all the technology and the research is necessary. But it will not reduce the defections we are seeing to the competition.

A move to getting exclusive programming. Something/anything that will be unique to DISH.

Invest in channels themselves. I thought DISH was onto something with their version of the weather channel. I liked it better because it was only weather and not shows/movies. This could then be sold to other cable companies. Let DISH have something to sell to other companies for revenue.

An entry level programming package. Bring back welcome pack. For anyone who owns their equipment they should be able to have welcome pack for $15 per month. Autopay and paperless billing a must. Again, you must own your equipment. There is a lot of MPEG2 equipment out there that can be deployed for this purpose.

Raise the limit of 3 receivers. Number of receivers are limited to the customers credit score. If the customer has a 787 score, take a chance and give them 3 722k's and 3 211's. (Additional outlet fees on that scenario are $55 a month. DISH will get their money back on the equipment in short order).

You make some great points. As long as a service like DISH can't provide a channel like YES in a populous state like New York , they will always be a second tier service. I loved the VOOM channels. They dumped those and I soon dumped DISH.:rolleyes:

#6 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:24 PM

As long as a service like DISH can't provide a channel like YES in a populous state like New York , they will always be a second tier service.

Isn't YES a regional kind of thing? There is life outside New York, you know. :rolleyes:
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,381 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:41 AM

OK. I've responded rather extensively to this subject in a post on another thread and have been warned about "spamming" by just repeating posts. So without repeating what I said in the other post....

If you have three 722/722k units with the Sling adapter you can serve six sets of eyes with independently controlled HD signals, three in fixed locations where the 722/722k's are and three anywhere there's a computer, a smart phone, an iPad and a TV set hooked to a "coming soon" Sling Receiver 300 or to a computer.

Yes, I agree it will take awhile for Dish's technological advances to be broadly accepted. But it isn't 1999 and a for an old guy like me, iPad sales were stunning (yes, I bought one but over the years when something looked intriguing I fell for it).

Yes, Dish's marketing is crap. I'm sorry, but sincere Charlie - did they do any testing of those ads for effectiveness?

Packages and channels is whole other issue. Yeah, the Welcome Pack is a good way to get people started, but who really knows why we don't have that now. I realize that not having YES hurts in NYC. Not having PBS in HD ticks me off. But everyone has their viewing preferences. And if you are aware of some of my other posts, you know that I don't blame Dish for the stupid packages that are really the result of media conglomerates imposing their demands or extreme channel costs sports nuts are willing to impose on me.;)

I still feel strongly that Charlie has brought in some strong technology options oriented to where people will be in 2015 - unwired, and internet app based viewing options. Of course, he and I could be wrong. But if he'd hire the folks in Mad Men to put together an ad campaign, he might see more results.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:27 AM

The Nirvana for TV viewers is ala carte. Internet is a step in that direction. We can only hope.

spam firewall