Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Monsoon Vulkano--An Alternative to Sling + More?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:12 PM

It seems to me that this device would offer the MRV features of Sling, with additional features. http://www.myvulkano.com/products.html

It can download from the internet, display to your TV, capture HD, record, has an EPG, and supports an eSata EHD. It almost seems too good to be true.

Has anyone tried one with a Dish rcvr? I see there has been some discussion in DirecTV threads. :confused:
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:37 PM

Apparently it uses it's own external hard drive. I am not sure anyone would want this if they already have a Dish DVR receiver. It is roughly the same price as a Dish DVR.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,381 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:03 PM

I'm sure it will be a fine product. Right now I'd read this article in the New York Times A Device Sold Before Its Time and the mixed reviews at Amazon. Nonetheless, in the long run it should put some pressure on Sling.

Keep in mind that my Slingbox PRO-HD works perfectly and I haven't seen others here with any significant criticisms. I cannot comment on the ViP922 or the new Adaptor which integrate Dish services and DVR's with the Sling function.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:04 PM

Apparently it uses it's own external hard drive. I am not sure anyone would want this if they already have a Dish DVR receiver. It is roughly the same price as a Dish DVR.

It's less than half as much as a ViP722k. There is a Black Friday $50 discount, making the basic, 8GB Platinum about $115 incl. shipping.

I went ahead and ordered it.

Edited by bnborg, 22 November 2010 - 04:17 PM.

#5 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,553 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:06 PM

It seems to me that this device would offer the MRV features of Sling, with additional features.

It can download from the internet, display to your TV, capture HD, record, has an EPG, and supports an eSata EHD. It almost seems too good to be true.

I think you're reading more into it than is really there. If you look at the specifications, it is capable of encoding only H.264(MP) video (SD). It may capture HD programming, but it will capture in downconverted SD.

I would liken this device to DIRECTV's upcoming NOMAD product.

The Vulkano also complies with HCDP which adds another dimension of confusion about what you'll be allowed to record.

You should always read the specifications and system requirements before making comparisons.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,553 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

It's less than half as much as a ViP722k.

How do figure? You must not have priced DVR capable eSATA drives.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:24 PM

How do figure? You must not have priced DVR capable eSATA drives.

I happen to have just ordered an eSata docking station for $22. Enclosures are similarly priced. Drives are drives, as long as they are SATA. You can get 1TB drives for about $55 from various sources.

Note, it also has an IR Blaster and can learn remote codes. It knows Dish codes for address 1 (IR).

I will see how it goes.

#8 OFFLINE   Brandon C

Brandon C

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:49 PM

I happen to have just ordered an eSata docking station for $22. Enclosures are similarly priced. Drives are drives, as long as they are SATA. You can get 1TB drives for about $55 from various sources.

I will see how it goes.

Don't expect to be able to record to an external hard drive connected to a Platinum. You will be able to record to a computer with the PC player though.

#9 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:22 PM

Thanks, Brandon.

Yeah, I see on the Monsoon Forums that users have had problems with this. I didn't assume it would be easy. I realize I might have to format the EHD with ext2 or ext3 if the Vulkano doesn't do it. ESata drives can be funny about power. Some of them don't work correctly unless the 3volt pins have power, in addition to the 5v and 12v. The external enclosure needs to provide all three.

First thing I do when I get it is back up the 8GB SD that comes with it. I can copy the MBR and change parameters as necessary.

#10 OFFLINE   Brandon C

Brandon C

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:46 PM

Thanks, Brandon.

Yeah, I see on the Monsoon Forum that users have had problems with this. I didn't assume it would be easy. I realize I might have to format the EHD with ext2 or ext3 if the Vulkano doesn't do it. ESata drives can be funny about power. Some of them don't work correctly unless the 3volt pins have power, in addition to the 5v and 12v. The external enclosure needs to provide all three.

First thing I do when I get it is back up the 8GB SD that comes with it. I can copy the MBR and change parameters as necessary.

Did you order the Platinum or the Deluxe? The Platinum doesn't come with any SD card or EHD, nor the support (firmware) to utilize one.
The Deluxe's can use an EXT3 formatted drive and will automatically reformat one if needed.

#11 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:05 PM

I ordered Platinum, and I see on the Monsoon web site there is no storage. I think I was confused by the offer at NewEgg which was for one with an 8GB SD card.

There seem to have been several variations on the Vulcano besides the three currently shown, Platinum (0GB), Deluxe (16GB SD) and Deluxe Pro (1TB eSata). I have also seen a 500GB eSata model mentioned.

#12 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,553 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:00 AM

So the platinum is $149 and the external hard drive is $100. $249 doesn't seem like "less than half" of $199 (or even $349 for an outright purchase).

#13 OFFLINE   riah

riah

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:23 AM

It seems to me that this device would offer the MRV features of Sling, with additional features. http://www.myvulkano.com/products.html

Has anyone tried one with a Dish rcvr? I see there has been some discussion in DirecTV threads. :confused:

I am using the older Hava Platinum model with a VIP622 for about two years now.

As a place shifting box it works great and you do not need to login to use it. Just supply the password of the local box once during set up of the remote client.

My model does not support external hard drive so I can not comment on recording.

Bottom line I have been happy with mine,there support not so much.

Edited by riah, 23 November 2010 - 12:06 PM.
missing word

#14 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:17 PM

So the platinum is $149 and the external hard drive is $100. $249 doesn't seem like "less than half" of $199 (or even $349 for an outright purchase).

After the Black Friday discount, the Platinum was $113.02 including shipping. You can get 1TB drives for about $55 these days. An eSata enclosure or docking station will be about $20.

spam firewall