Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DTV Installer can't stand on garage roof to replace wall-mounted dish?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brittu

brittu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:02 AM

Ok, so we were going to go for some new hardware and the whole house setup. The installer came out and said no can do. The dish needs to be replaced. It's on the wall of the second story but to get to it you'd have to stand on the room of the first story garage. He said he's not allowed to do that. I asked since when because he's actually the exact guy who put the current dish there in the first place (very distinctive guy with facial scars). Huh? Anyone heard of this? My husband now wants to switch to Fios but their DVR has hangups I don't think I can live with (tiny capacity, can't delect shows from other rooms, etc.).

Help!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:57 AM

Ok, so we were going to go for some new hardware and the whole house setup. The installer came out and said no can do. The dish needs to be replaced. It's on the wall of the second story but to get to it you'd have to stand on the room of the first story garage. He said he's not allowed to do that. I asked since when because he's actually the exact guy who put the current dish there in the first place (very distinctive guy with facial scars). Huh? Anyone heard of this? My husband now wants to switch to Fios but their DVR has hangups I don't think I can live with (tiny capacity, can't delect shows from other rooms, etc.).

Help!

Unless your garage roof is as high off the ground as a dog house (so to speak), OSHA will not allow any installer to stand on it without fall protection. These are rules that have been (and continue to be for most installation companies) largely ignored. Our company has recently become very insistent that we follow these rules to the letter. We have a ZERO tolerance policy when it comes to these violations. If I'm caught on an unapproved roof, I will be terminated IMMEDIATELY. No ifs ands or buts about it.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:08 AM

I guess the next question is what constitutes fall protection? IIRC, that would consist of some sort or barrier/railing or a safety harness. Since it’s highly unlikely that these exist or could be used by the installer that leaves a lot of installs out...I think.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#4 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:58 AM

Unless your garage roof is as high off the ground as a dog house (so to speak), OSHA will not allow any installer to stand on it without fall protection. These are rules that have been (and continue to be for most installation companies) largely ignored. Our company has recently become very insistent that we follow these rules to the letter. We have a ZERO tolerance policy when it comes to these violations. If I'm caught on an unapproved roof, I will be terminated IMMEDIATELY. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Thats crazy. The same fall protection regs also demand fall protection when on a ladder over 6' high as well as the ladder being tied off and I doubt you are doing that or all installs would be pole mounts.

Funny thing, when they built the houses in our neighborhood, which all have 12/12 - 16/12 roofs (mines a 16/12) they installed two hard tie off points that tie to the rafters and go through the roofs when they started framing. As the house was built, various contractors (especially the roofers) used them and the roofers flashed them in. They have black plasctic covers on them and blend in nicely. Of course someone has to go up and take off the cover and put a rope on it to use it, but I wonder if stuff like this will become more common?

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,985 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:03 AM

I guess the next question is what constitutes fall protection? IIRC, that would consist of some sort or barrier/railing or a safety harness. Since it’s highly unlikely that these exist or could be used by the installer that leaves a lot of installs out...I think.

Mike

Maybe we should buy stock in the cherry-picker/bucket truck makers.
Seems like these are going to be needed like the phone, cable, power, etc. companies use.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:05 AM

I see no problem.

Remove any fence or tree that blocks a bucket truck as it rolls across the lawn. The installer can wear a safety belt and do the work from the bucket. For some situations side supports may be needed so plan on providing 6 x 6 timbers, cut to no shorter than four feet. Traffic will have to be controlled so plan on having the kids home to hold the signs. Mark any underground structures...don't want the truck in the septic system do we?

After the installation there may be some landscape cleanup...ruts and plant replacement are a small price for TV, right? If the local unions and OSHA sign off on the project we can get an estimator out in a few weeks for a prompt price quote.

FREE installation? Forget it.

Joe

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,985 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:07 AM

I see no problem.

Remove any fence or tree that blocks a bucket truck as it rolls across the lawn. The installer can wear a safety belt and do the work from the bucket. For some situations side supports may be needed so plan on providing 6 x 6 timbers, cut to no shorter than four feet. Traffic will have to be controlled so plan on having the kids home to hold the signs. Mark any underground structures...don't want the truck in the septic system do we?

After the installation there may be some landscape cleanup...ruts and plant replacement are a small price for TV, right? If the local unions and OSHA sign off on the project we can get an estimator out in a few weeks for a prompt price quote.

FREE installation? Forget it.

Joe

!rolling

You forgot the environmental impact study too.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:34 AM

!rolling

Yes, it is hard to be smart! Those pigeons pooping in the vicinity of the dish are a threat! If cable grease gets into streams who knows what could happen.

Perhaps an independent contractor who was truly independent could clean up on this one. I have seen this crap before. Gotta wonder where it comes from? I suspect the money for whole house upgrades is too low so the safety issue looms.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 24 November 2010 - 08:36 AM.
typo

#9 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:36 AM

!rolling

Don't forget the engineers evaluation of the structural loads the new dish is going to place on the house.

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:39 AM

Thats crazy.

It's not that crazy when DirecTV had a dozen SERIOUS injuries (as in: lifetime disability payments) and a couple of DEATHS. Now that DirecTV actually owns much of the installation business, and is liable for it, they are finally making sure that the techs are following the rules.

The game has changed, in this area at least.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,985 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:01 AM

We can joke and make fun of this, but there are a lot of dish mounts that will need to be relocated so they are safe to service.
Anyone in snow country should already know this.
A.K.A VOS

#12 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,193 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:19 AM

So when is DirecTV going to update their trucks with a hydraulic lift. So that their installers are able to comply with the now enforce rules.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:44 AM

If I'm caught on an unapproved roof, I will be terminated IMMEDIATELY. No ifs ands or buts about it.

What makes a roof approved vs unapproved?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#14 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,949 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:31 AM

Flat versus pitched?

#15 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:16 PM

I would guess it is more than just pitch. Guard rail around it, stairs versus ladder to access it, etc. In other words, if it is a normal access area, it would be okay to go there. Otherwise not.

#16 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:37 PM

It's not that crazy when DirecTV had a dozen SERIOUS injuries (as in: lifetime disability payments) and a couple of DEATHS. Now that DirecTV actually owns much of the installation business, and is liable for it, they are finally making sure that the techs are following the rules.

Enforcing safety rules is not crazy. What I am saying is crazy is to hone in on this one small part of the safety rule and ban people from getting on a roof, when the ladder they use to get to the roof or the alternate dish site is subject to all the same safety regs and is arguably more dangerous in many situations. Unless they go to all pole mounts, they are still technically in violation every time they work off a ladder over 6 feet high. Or as others mentioned, they could go to all bucket trucks.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#17 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:54 PM

This is typically it. Installers are free to ignore rules like this and just get the install done until someone gets seriously hurt or OSHA some how gets involved. Once that happens they go completely the other direction with 0 tolerance, don't even think about it policies. You might be able to do the LNB change your self or get an independent company to come out and do the upgrade but you probably aren't going to have any luck getting an installer from DirecTV to do it.

#18 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,193 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:46 PM

I don't advise installers to ignore OSHA rules. But for DirecTV to supply the proper equipment to do the job properly. If this means upgrading to bucket trucks, then they should do it. Not walk away from a customers home because the installer doesn't have the proper tools.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#19 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:17 PM

I don't advise installers to ignore OSHA rules. But for DirecTV to supply the proper equipment to do the job properly. If this means upgrading to bucket trucks, then they should do it. Not walk away from a customers home because the installer doesn't have the proper tools.

While in theory it would be nice, there is no way that will ever happen. People get all pissy now about some debris from drilling holes. Can you imagine the reaction of driving a 3+ton bucket truck across someones yard? It just isn't going to happen.

The main point of this policy (beyond the "saftey" aspect) is that the dish needs to be servicable year round. No amount of safety gear is going to make trekking up a roof with snow/ice on it. Basicly, they are saying, stop doing your spiderman impressions, stop trying to be a superhero just so someone can get TV.

I've seen far, far too many dishes at the peak in the middle of the house...for no good reason. Those people are SOL for service issues.

IMO, it's better for someone NOT to get service from the get go, than to be left without service for days, maybe weeks or potentially months because someone can't get to the dish.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#20 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,387 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:13 PM

The same fall protection regs also demand fall protection when on a ladder over 6' high as well as the ladder being tied off and I doubt you are doing that or all installs would be pole mounts.

where did you get that info from? OSHA does not require fall protection when using portable ladders.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...