Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

upgrade questions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:23 PM

Afternoon all

I have a friend that just bought 2 new HD TV's, and has 2 ancient 4000 series receivers on a dish 500. He of course wants to upgrade these receivers to get HD for his new TV's

I have given him some information on his potential options, 722 and the 612 as he wants to go to a DVR, but I want to try and provide him enough information before he calls Dish so that he is making a really good informed decision, so I want to see if anyone else has some details on a couple questions.. I also mentioned that to go HD, they'll also probably replace his Dish 500 with a Dish 1000.

Does anyone know the difference in cost that he might be quoted for getting say a 722 and a 612, as opposed to a 722, and 211k. He has three TV's, and my thought was to connect the 722 to his primary TV, and use TV2 to feed the bedroom TV, and then the 612 for a Den TV, which could also be a 211K, but that receiver has the added costs of an external HD, while not spendy perhaps, that along with the one time $40 EHD fee, might add some cost to that option.

I also thought of 3-211K's, but the HD Cost and EHD costs also add to that option, though if if upgrade cost would be that much less than the other possible options?

I assume that any upgrade would be what, 18-24 month commitment?

DVR billing, always confused on the line items on the bill for
HD Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver
DVR Service

I know that DVR service is always going to be $6, but does the other vary based on which DVR receivers your using? I have a 722 & 622, and that cost is $17, but if the receivers were a 722 and a 612 or 211K, as a DVR, would that line item cost be less?

Thanks for any feedback..
Norm

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:46 PM

Monthly cost for receivers beyond the first:

- Solo - $7
- Solo DVR - $10
- Duo - $14
- Duo DVR - $17

Obviously, if you have a DVR, there will also be the monthly DVR fee. And if you subscribe to HD, you'll have the $10/month HD fee unless you qualify for "Free HD for Life" (credit-card auto-pay and paperless billing, which you then must maintain).

All lease upgrades come with a 24 month agreement.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#3 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:29 PM

Thanks, that helps on that fee... If you get a 211k with EHD, which fee applies? Does it go from 7 to 10?

Thanks
Norm

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:03 PM

Thanks, that helps on that fee... If you get a 211k with EHD, which fee applies? Does it go from 7 to 10?

There is no additional monthly fee for a EHD. DISH will just bill the usual $7.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

Right. You just have to pay the one-time-per-account fee of $39.99 to enable DVR support for the 211s. Note that this is a separate fee from the EHD fee for 722/622/612s, and that you can't interchange the drives between the 211 family and the HD-DVRs.

#6 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

James, when you add an EHD to a 211. Does it add a DVR fee?

Does the 211, act like any other Dish DVR when you connect an EHD?

Thanks
Norm

#7 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:28 PM

Yes it works like any other DVR, and no it doesn't incur the DVR fee.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#8 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for all the info, makes that option much clearer now..

I guess the only thing I am not sure of, and perhaps cannot be readily answered is if my friend upgrades from his 4000's to a 722 and a 612 or perhaps a 722 and a 211 with EHD option, which would be the more cost effective upgrade.

any other feedback would be appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving all
Norm

#9 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:34 PM

Upgrade costs (the cost of leasing the receivers) will vary depending on each customer's account history with Dish. While a number of factors affect your ranking, the primary one is your payment history.

So, the cost for the upgrade could be simply the cost of a tech visit ($15 with Service Plan, $95 without), or as much as several hundred dollars.

But that's a one-time cost. What *really* matters, IMO, is the ongoing monthly cost. That's what will add up over time.

#10 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

Considering he has 4000 series receivers, which would make him a customer for at least several years or more. I know he has a service plan if I recall. So I would think he has some good options, but I guess he'll have to make the call to Dish to see what it would cost depending on the receiver options he choses.
Norm

#11 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:31 AM

based on whats been said so far:

722, 612 (assuming the 612 is considered a Solo, even though it has 2 sat inputs, it has no TV2 outputs)

Cost would be $17 + $10, respectively, with the higher cost receiver fee dropped, Total cost, w/ $6 dvr fee: $16 +programing package

722, 211k = $17 + $7 Total cost, w/ $6 DVR fee: $13 +programing

3 211k's = $7 + $7 + $7, First $7 included/dropped, Total cost $14 +programing

* 1 time $39.99 fee to enable EHD support on any/all 211k's

* Another $39.99 fee to enable all other receivers: 612, 722, 622.

Also, a 222 is NOT compatible w/ EHD and I'm not sure the difference between a the "k" recievers and the non "K' receivers (ie whether you can do EHD on 722 and a 722k) I'm sure someone else around here can answer that question.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#12 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:58 AM

222 & 722 have one OTA tuner built-in, and use the older, silver remotes.

222k & 722k have no OTA built-in, but will accept the optional ($) dual OTA tuner module, and come with the new black remotes with learning capability and the ability to backup and restore timers.

Otherwise, identical.

211k is functionally identical to a 211, but the k is in a much smaller case and is black instead of silver.

#13 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:10 AM

If your friend qualifies for an upgrade, then E* can only promise you a HD Duo receiver, which includes the 622, 722, and 722K. He may want to contact a local dealer to see if they have a 722K in stock and reserve one. Then, he should ask for that dealer to perform the install when he orders the upgrade.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#14 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for all that feedback, I've got some good info for him and options.

I guess until he calls Dish, he won't know what his upgrade costs might be, one would think that there would be some cost per receiver, and since he needs a Dish 1000 upgrade to go to HD, it would have to be a part of the package. I suspect his Dish 500 is pre-Dish Pro as well, which would not even be compatible I think with current receivers.

Guess the next time I see him this weekend, I'll go over the options, and see which way he prefers to go, and then call Dish and see what the upgrade costs will be.

JSK Is there an advantage to contacting a local dealer first before contacting Dish, or is merely to make sure of available receivers instead of Dish shipping one?

Norm
Norm

#15 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:13 PM

All Dish receivers are compatible with legacy (pre-DishPro) LNBs and switches. It's a moot point though as the upgrade from SD to HD will require a dish swap to one of the 3-LNB dishes with integrated DishPro Plus switch.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#16 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

JSK Is there an advantage to contacting a local dealer first before contacting Dish, or is merely to make sure of available receivers instead of Dish shipping one?

Norm

A local dealer can do the upgrade for the same price as Dish in most cases (bundled accounts are the main exception), and will generally only have the latest equipment. If you call Dish to do the upgrade, you'll get whatever they have in stock, which could be a 622, 722, or 722k. He'll get a dish upgrade either way.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...