Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

5.1 audio editing software

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

Happy Thanksgiving ALL!!

Is this possible to do? I have a 5.1 setup, Onyko receiver. I notice some television shows and commercials put all the dialogue in the center channel speaker and put all the music, background noise, sound efx, etc in fronts and rears. I wanted to find a program where I could record and edit the audio coming out of all the other speakers with no dialogue.

For instance if I disable/unhook the speaker cable from my center speaker, I get the music and effects with no dialogue. That's the sound I want but I want to capture it on an audio-program editor or send it to my computer somehow. I can't just send the headphone jack of the Onkyo to my PC because it still leaves in the center speaker dialogue even when I unplug the speaker. And I don't see any way to disable the center speaker through the menu or headphone output.

I guess I need some kind of computer HD card, and some 5.1 audio editing software? Or I could be completely wrong. I would really like to know what I can do next to have the ability to mix the sound and have the ability to disable the center speaker in the program or any speaker for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:36 PM

You should be able to do one channel at a time by connecting the speaker's output to the line in port on your sound card, which would require an adapter of course.
The sound can be captured and edited using any sound editing software.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

Hey Marlin -- where exactly is the speaker's output you're saying? I attached a pic of the back of my Onkyo. I just use a coaxial (bottom left side) into the HR23. Are you saying use that cable and get an adapter than can convert from a coaxial into a 3.5mm jack and then plug into sound card? If that's the case, how can that effectively single out or isolate all the different sounds from a 5.1 system with just one cable going into the sound card? Sorry if my questions are elementary -- just trying to understand.

Attached Thumbnails

• SR607back.jpg

#4 OFFLINE   bleggett29

bleggett29

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hey Marlin -- where exactly is the speaker's output you're saying? I attached a pic of the back of my Onkyo. I just use a coaxial (bottom left side) into the HR23. Are you saying use that cable and get an adapter than can convert from a coaxial into a 3.5mm jack and then plug into sound card? If that's the case, how can that effectively single out or isolate all the different sounds from a 5.1 system with just one cable going into the sound card? Sorry if my questions are elementary -- just trying to understand.

I think what he's saying is to use the actual speaker outputs(one at a time). But if you do be sure to use some kind of limiter(don't know actual name or even if something exists) to lower the output. Otherwise you'll probably fry your sound card.
HR21-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Samsung LN40B530 40" HDTV -- HDMI -- Living Room
HR22-100 -> cheap 22" HDTV -- HDMI -- Kids Room
H21-100 -> Samsung 26" HDTV -- Component -- Master Bed Room

Slimline-5 -> SWM-8

Unsupported MRV (100M ethernet LAN)

#5 ONLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,950 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:16 PM

My daughter uses Reaper for cutting music for her dance studio so I checked and it will do 5.1 editing.

http://www.reaper.fm/

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:19 PM

Speaker outputs? Are they the dual speaker wires that come from each speaker into the Onkyo? So I have to find an adapter than can convert speaker wire into a headphone jack that I can plug into my sound card and figure out how to lower the output? Am I getting this right? Thanks

#7 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:19 PM

My daughter uses Reaper for cutting music for her dance studio so I checked and it will do 5.1 editing.

http://www.reaper.fm/

Mike

I use Reaper on an almost daily basis and love it. It's even cheaper now than when I bought it a couple years ago. I've done recording of up to 75 tracks with it so far. I've never done 5.1 though. A few tracks recorded live using Reaper last week: http://soundcloud.com/richard-king
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...