Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Win 7 - Consider replacing your battery

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:03 AM

I have a laptop that is just under a year old. Recently, I started recieving a message telling me to consider replacing my battery. I've googled the earth and see there are lots of complaints out there. There are some suggested fixes that don't work. Based on the search results I've seen so far, it is a 50/50 shot on whether the message is real or Win7 has an issue.

Has anyone else encountered this message on a newer laptop? More importantantly, anyone successfully overcome this issue without buying a new battery?
TIA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:23 AM

Have you checked with your notebook manufacturer? There used to be a way to re-calibrate the battery power meter, but I can't remember if it was a Windows function or BIOS.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 619 posts
  • Location40241

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:40 AM

Is the battery out of warranty. I had one of shortly after purchase and it was replaced for free under warranty.
HR24-500 AM-21
HR24-200 AM-21
Direct TV Slimline-5S (SWM) DECA
Direct TV since 6/23/96.

#4 OFFLINE   mstanka

mstanka

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:18 AM

FWIW - Dell Batteries are warrantied for one year.

Most makers have a common warranty for batteries as they are considered a consumable.

Get with the maker asap.

Michael.

#5 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,307 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:59 PM

I have a laptop that is just under a year old. Recently, I started recieving a message telling me to consider replacing my battery. I've googled the earth and see there are lots of complaints out there. There are some suggested fixes that don't work. Based on the search results I've seen so far, it is a 50/50 shot on whether the message is real or Win7 has an issue.

Has anyone else encountered this message on a newer laptop? More importantantly, anyone successfully overcome this issue without buying a new battery?
TIA

I get a message to replace my wireless mouse and keyboard batteries (for both laptop and desktop machines) once in a great while, but I have never replaced a laptop main battery, even those three or four years old.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#6 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:00 PM

Outside of warranty by about 2 weeks. I was hoping it was Win 7 bug, but I guess it's time for a new battery.

Thanks for the input...

#7 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,307 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

Outside of warranty by about 2 weeks. I was hoping it was Win 7 bug, but I guess it's time for a new battery.

Thanks for the input...

Apparently the specs for battery life are pretty darn close to warranty life.:rolleyes:
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#8 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

We run hundreds of HP and Dell laptops at work with WIN7 and have no such issue.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#9 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:23 PM

Apparently the specs for battery life are pretty darn close to warranty life.:rolleyes:

Well, they did not randomly pick the warranty term. ;)

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#10 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:41 PM

Had this exact issue happen on a little over a year old HP laptop with windows 7 to a girl I work with. And after I tried everything I could come up with including recalbriation on the battery and nothing working we finally just ordered a new battery and the issue is now gone so I guess in that case the battery was really bad.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...