Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Convert EHD back to Windows.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nospmahm

nospmahm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

I no longer have a need of my second EHD that has been used on my Dish 622. How can I format it back to Windows to use as a backup drive for my computers running Win 7?
Really old Don
Hopper, Joey, Sling, EHD 56" Samsung HDTV
Hopper, Joey, EHD 40" Samsung HDTV
Savannah, GA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

plug it in, go to Control Panel, Admin Tools, COmputer Management.

click on Disk Management, find the drive, right click the partition and format it.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,234 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

I no longer have a need of my second EHD that has been used on my Dish 622. How can I format it back to Windows to use as a backup drive for my computers running Win 7?

You should be able to just connect it to your PC and reformat it (losing all content on said drive). Have you tried that?

#4 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:08 AM

Does depend on whether your connecting it to a Mac or PC. Windows may not prompt you to format it.. You may have to go to the Disk Manager to reformat it.

on a Mac, if the formatting cannot be understood, the Mac will prompt you to reformat it, and with current versions of OSX, will open the Disk Utility to select it and format and partition it to your preference.
Norm

#5 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

You shouldn't have any problems with Windows7 reformmating the EHD. One thing to remember though, is you can have multiple EHD's used on your 622, which comes in handy sometimes as you can have your EHD, and a EHD for somebody else in the house, or just have the old one for different kinds of shows or series.

#6 OFFLINE   nospmahm

nospmahm

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

Thanks folks for all your help. The EHD did not show up when I plugged it in.
I right clicked on My Computer, then selected Manage, then Disk Management and the EHD showed up as Disk 1 with 931 GB with 3 partitions. I deleted all partitions, created one simple partition, formatted it to NTFS and low and behold it worked. I tested it and it now works fine. I love Win7!

Grumpy Bear, I have a 1TB EHD on each of my Dish receivers, I quite frequently move one to the other to share a movie. This particular drive was sort of a spare in case one of the others got full, and since we learned to delete most programming after we watch them I decided to use it for our computers.

I would be nice if Dish would let us network our receivers so we could share EHD's.

Edited by nospmahm, 27 November 2010 - 01:53 PM.
Situation resolved.

Really old Don
Hopper, Joey, Sling, EHD 56" Samsung HDTV
Hopper, Joey, EHD 40" Samsung HDTV
Savannah, GA

#7 OFFLINE   whatchel1

whatchel1

Hall Of Fame

• No PM's
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:31 PM

Thanks folks for all your help. The EHD did not show up when I plugged it in.
I right clicked on My Computer, then selected Manage, then Disk Management and the EHD showed up as Disk 1 with 931 GB with 3 partitions. I deleted all partitions, created one simple partition, formatted it to NTFS and low and behold it worked. I tested it and it now works fine. I love Win7!

Grumpy Bear, I have a 1TB EHD on each of my Dish receivers, I quite frequently move one to the other to share a movie. This particular drive was sort of a spare in case one of the others got full, and since we learned to delete most programming after we watch them I decided to use it for our computers.

I would be nice if Dish would let us network our receivers so we could share EHD's.

Actually I believe had you just hooked it up to the PC & restarted it would've prompted you to format the HDD.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...