Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

newbie question...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   photogman

photogman

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:12 AM

I am about a month away from moving into new home. I had electrician run (2) RG6 and (1) cat5e to every outlet in my home where I wanted Dish feed, terrestrial (local) tv feed, and netflix.

In three other places I ran (3) RG6's and (2) cat5e for what I was told I would need to get HD, netflix, and a separate local terrestrial feed on those three places. I have all the wire hanging from the rafters in my distribution area/furnace room/electrical panel etc. I have a home theater guy that is going to terminate all the ends and put cat5e in a patch panel etc and similarly with the RG6. If I want to go with HD to three TV's and regular TV signal to other spots, what receivers would you advise? I want to have DVR on a HD spot in my great room. Also, I read a thread on this site that I have heard before but don't fully understand and that is the term "backfeed". Could somebody explain what that the means and what type of cabling is needed to have that? Thanks for any help you can be. It is greatly appreciated.

I hope I posted this thread in the appropriate area.

PS....forgot to add that I would like dual feed on at least one receiver so I can watch a different channel than the wife in another room.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:31 PM

Well, I guess it depends on how many 'other' TVs you'll be requiring. By 'other' I mean, SD TVs. If that answer is 3, then I'd go w/ 3 vip722k, or vip622 recievers (the difference between the 2 is hard drive space) not sure you can control which dish will bring you. The 3 receivers will provide HD in the local rooms they reside in, and SD in 3 other rooms using the 'backfeed'. Backfeed refers to using the SAME cable that the sat signal is on and sending the TV2 (second room) signal back down the same cable an ultimaltly to another room. In your case, I dont see the need for it, you have 3 RG6's, 1 could be used to feed SAT signal to the room, 2nd for the TV2 output, 3rd for the OTA feed. Incidently both recvrs have OTA tuners (the module is an add-on option on the 722k). Both receivers are DVR's. If you don't need that many TV2 (second room) feeds, you can downgrade each receiver to a vip211k, or a vip612 if you want a dvr. (the 211 can be a dvr if you buy seperatly an external HD, and call dish to enable EHD service $40 fee)

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#3 OFFLINE   photogman

photogman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:05 PM

Thanks very much for your info! I will take some time to digest that and make my decision. Maybe take my home theater guy with me to the Dish Network outlet in my area.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...