Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM or not to SWM

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   robsmithmortgage

robsmithmortgage

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

I recently purchased an LNB to slimline dish to upgrade to HD. The LNB I have is a Directv SL3K4NR0-01 with 4 outputs on it. Is this a SWM device? The guy that sold it to me also included a splitter and SWM power adapter. I want to hook up just one HD DVR to the system. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I will need to make this work?

Thank you

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:58 PM

I recently purchased an LNB to slimline dish to upgrade to HD. The LNB I have is a Directv SL3K4NR0-01 with 4 outputs on it. Is this a SWM device? The guy that sold it to me also included a splitter and SWM power adapter. I want to hook up just one HD DVR to the system. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I will need to make this work?

Thank you

Non SWiM LNB, as a SWiM only has one output.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,960 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:14 PM

With a HD DVR, you will need to run two cables from the SWM to the SAT1 and SAT2 inputs. You will also need B-band converters on each (call Directv and they will send them to you free).

#4 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,050 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:16 PM

In order to make it work for a HDDVR you would need to run two wires from the lnb to the HDDVR with BBC's inline. As VOS noted it is not a SWiM lnb, but you could hook the 4 wires to a SWiM-8 and then run one wire (no BBC's) to the HDDVR.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:17 PM

With a HD DVR, you will need to run two cables from the SWM to the SAT1 and SAT2 inputs. You will also need B-band converters on each (call Directv and they will send them to you free).

Ummm... If it's a SWM then only a cable to the SAT1 input and no B-Band converters. I assume you meant "from the LNB".

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:24 AM

We need to identify exactly what he has. If the LNB has four outputs, then it is not a SWM LNB. However, if he was sold a "splitter" and a power adapter with the LNB, then he may actually have an SWM8 module, which takes the four lines from the dish and creates a SWM setup. Then only one line is needed to the DVR instead of two,.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:17 AM

We need to identify exactly what he has. If the LNB has four outputs, then it is not a SWM LNB. However, if he was sold a "splitter" and a power adapter with the LNB, then he may actually have an SWM8 module, which takes the four lines from the dish and creates a SWM setup. Then only one line is needed to the DVR instead of two,.

Looking at the OP's post, I would say that they have a legacy LNB (4 outputs on it) and got a SWM-8 (the splitter) and PI to go with it.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:04 AM

Looking at the OP's post, I would say that they have a legacy LNB (4 outputs on it) and got a SWM-8 (the splitter) and PI to go with it.

- Merg

Correct;

Unfortunately, it seems the OP received the wrong LNB (a legacy one) from this "guy" along with other SWM related hardware.

spam firewall