Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Stupid noob question about LOS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kjjb0204

kjjb0204

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:59 PM

Last year I tried DirecTV for a while, having it installed in October when the trees were bare. Installer said leaves won't affect LOS, it did, had to cancel service as there was no where on my property to get a signal. Does Dish use the same satellites? Would it be worth it to have an installer come out to tell me if I'll have los? How can I find out where in the sky a Dish Network dish would have to point? I'm sick of Comcast.... still.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

Last year I had to cancel service as there was no where on my property to get a signal. Does Dish use the same satellites?

No, but LOS varies from city to city on Dish. Some locations can use the eastern arc satellites, which may be better for you.

#3 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 342 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:15 PM

Look at www.dishpointer.com. You can see your LOS for various sats.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,364 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

Last year I tried DirecTV for a while, having it installed in October when the trees were bare. Installer said leaves won't affect LOS, it did, had to cancel service as there was no where on my property to get a signal. Does Dish use the same satellites? Would it be worth it to have an installer come out to tell me if I'll have los? How can I find out where in the sky a Dish Network dish would have to point? I'm sick of Comcast.... still.

It may not be worth it for the installer to come out and say "no line of site" but it could be worth it to you. Do you have a local installer in town you could talk to? I find that quality local satellite dealers are more creative and willing to work to get an account installed correctly than nationally dispatched installers. (Hopefully the DirecTV installer who said leaves don't affect signals received the proper correction.)

In New England you'll probably be looking south east toward 61.5, 72.7 and 77 instead of south and mostly west toward 101-103 for DirecTV (110-129 for DISH).

#5 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:10 PM

I've been with dish since 1997. Moved about 2 years ago and 2 installers could not get line at the new house of sight due to redwood trees. One guy swore that he "walked the grounds" and never got anything above zero signal strength.

I was about to cancel dish, but over the weekend, my daughter and I took an old single dish mounted on a piece of plywood and started moving it all over the property. We found a good, solid signal in the front yard near the street. Anyway, third installer came out and mounted a dish to a pole. We've been happy for over two years.

I suggest that if you really want direct or dish and are having trouble with LOS, try checking out with your own dish to find a good signal.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,323 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:38 PM

I've been with dish since 1997. Moved about 2 years ago and 2 installers could not get line at the new house of sight due to redwood trees. One guy swore that he "walked the grounds" and never got anything above zero signal strength.

I was about to cancel dish, but over the weekend, my daughter and I took an old single dish mounted on a piece of plywood and started moving it all over the property. We found a good, solid signal in the front yard near the street. Anyway, third installer came out and mounted a dish to a pole. We've been happy for over two years.

I suggest that if you really want direct or dish and are having trouble with LOS, try checking out with your own dish to find a good signal.

Redwoods can be tough. When I first subscribed to HD, I had two different installers come out for the wing dish for 129 which as weak back then - the original installer found a signal which was viable when the wind wasn't blowing. The second came out and mounted the dish three times to no avail and put it back in its original place. I moved it to where it works perfectly.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

spam firewall