Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mast question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   photogman

photogman

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:14 PM

I am putting a Clearstream5 and a Clearstream 4 together on a mast to go on my Rohn 25G for my OTA antenna.

I was thinking about using a galvanized chain link fencing post 2" diameter (10' length) for my mast. I believe it is .47 gauge post. Would this work in your estimation?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:46 AM

I am putting a Clearstream5 and a Clearstream 4 together on a mast to go on my Rohn 25G for my OTA antenna.

I was thinking about using a galvanized chain link fencing post 2" diameter (10' length) for my mast. I believe it is .47 gauge post. Would this work in your estimation?

If the question is, "will the pipe bend?" I doubt it.

Or "will the U bolts fit?" Update. The actual answer is yes. Antennas Direct U-bolts will fit larger than TV mast sizes.

The U bolts on either antenna will bolt directly to the legs of the tower. Do you need the extra height on both antennas?

If the fence post is pipe, expect a size of 1.9" OD or 1.66" OD.
If it's really 2" OD, it's technically called tubing, and that's uncommon in the fencing industry.

Edited by Tower Guy, 13 December 2010 - 08:48 AM.

#3 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,394 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:56 AM

1-1/4" is the preferred diameter. Even with two flyswatters, it should be sufficient.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

This past summer/fall I replaced the 5' mast that came with my antenna and put up a 10' chain link fence top rail to bring in stronger signals and it only cost around $8 as opposed to about $25.

spam firewall