Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Press Release-DISH 1st PayTV Provider to Give Ability to Watch Their Live TV on iPAD

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:24 AM

DISH Network is First Pay-TV Provider to Give Customers Ability to Watch Their Live TV on iPad

Free DISH Remote Access Gives DISH Network Customers Ability to Transform Their iPad into a TV

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Dec. 1, 2010 – DISH Network L.L.C., today announced that DISH Remote Access, the free application that gives DISH Network customers the ability to watch their live and recorded TV on compatible smartphones, tablets and laptops, is now available for the iPad™. To enjoy live and recorded TV viewing on the iPad, DISH Network customers must have a broadband-connected, Sling-enabled™ device such as the Sling Adapter™ – a small placeshifting device that pairs with DISH Network’s ViP® 722 or 722k HD DVRs.
“DISH Network is the only pay-TV provider to offer a true TV everywhere solution, and now we’ve extended that experience to the iPad,” said DISH Network Chief Marketing Officer Ira Bahr. “Unlike mobile viewing from cable and telcos that limit access to select programs, our TV Everywhere services give consumers 24 x 7 access to all of their live and recorded content included with their DISH Network programming subscription.”
In addition to TV viewing, the DISH Remote Access app also gives DISH Network customers with compatible DVRs the ability to browse and search up to nine days of programming, schedule DVR recordings, manage conflicts, delete shows on multiple receivers, and transform the iPad into a fully-functioning remote control.
The DISH Remote Access app for the iPad can be downloaded for free from the iTunes App Store. For more information about DISH Remote Access, visit www.dish.com/tveverywhere.

###

About DISH Network
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ : DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides more than 14.2 million satellite TV customers, as of September 30, 2010, with the highest quality programming and technology at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy industry-leading customer satisfaction, the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:30 AM

I was just about to post this... so you beat me by mere minutes I think!

I was playing around a bit with this last night... and it looks good. It doesn't look great, but I think that is the limitation of the available bandwidth to upload HD-quality when there is lots of motion happening.

I had a few glitches where it would lock-up the transmission and time-out... and also there doesn't seem to be a way to channel-up or channel-down. You can go to the grid OR directly type a channel number... but you can't bump up/down to the next channel any way I've tried.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

This could be nice ... if Dish was able to provide 722s. I have tried to upgrade my 622 but they can't guarantee that I would get one. :confused:
Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#4 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:12 AM

This could be nice ... if Dish was able to provide 722s. I have tried to upgrade my 622 but they can't guarantee that I would get one. :confused:

Contact a local retailer.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#5 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:05 PM

Contact a local retailer.

Unfourtunatly, we were informed by Dish some time ago that upgrading a customer's 622 to a 722 or 722k is not covered under the current "DISH'n it Up" business rules. A retailer can do the upgrade, but they may not get paid for it. I've spoken at length with upper level Retail Services Reps. in the last few weeks about this and I suspect there will be some changes to this policy before to long.

#6 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

Does a 922 provide the same Sling functionality as a 722 + Sling Adapter ?

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:06 PM

Does a 922 provide the same Sling functionality as a 722 + Sling Adapter ?

Yes... and it is all integrated, so you still have use of both USB ports on the receiver if you get the 922.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:45 PM

I just watched the TV ad for this, BUT it looked as if the viewer could watch the TV AND on the iPad simultaneously. I wonder if that is true. Actually, you can with other devices, BUT the TV would be TV1 and the iPad TV2. Hmmmm.....

#9 OFFLINE   premier1guy

premier1guy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:30 AM

IF ... using the same "sling" approach (see below) ... Yes, simultaneously on both, but both will be on the same channel. Smart device (iPhone) change channel means change channel on receiver (and for viewer at that point).

(I've been using SlingBox with DirecTV for a number of months, on my Driod. It's an incredible capability!!!!)

#10 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:47 AM

Actually, the 922 provides less functionality than the 722+Sling Adapter because the 922 doesn't have a TV2 output.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#11 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:43 PM

Yes it does.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#12 OFFLINE   mikeyinokc

mikeyinokc

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:48 PM

Just hooked up the new sling device to my 722....My iPad works well with it, has a nice picture.

However since the sling uses tuner2, the actual TV hooked up to TV 2 doesn't mirror what is being watched. Instead it shows a message that a remote user is watching through the sling.

Bummer.....since my wife offices at the house....and TV 2 is in her office.

#13 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:14 PM

I wonder if a firmware update might be able to improve that? I think having the ability to watch on BOTH remote device AND a nearby device would be a tremendous improvement. In fact, if I recall correctly, stand alone Slingbox users may be able to do that currently.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...