Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Press Release-DISH Expands Movie Channel Lineup with Starz Entertainment's MoviePlex

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:07 AM

DISH Network Expands Movie Channel Lineup with Introduction of Starz Entertainment’s MoviePlex

Englewood, Colo. – Dec. 2, 2010 – DISH Network L.L.C. today reaffirmed its commitment to growing its selection of movie channels with the launch of Starz Entertainment’s MoviePlex movie channel into DISH Network’s HD Platinum package. As part of the multi-year agreement signed between the companies, MoviePlex’s content, along with hundreds of titles from Starz and Encore, will also soon be available on demand and through DISHOnline.com.

MoviePlex offers popular uncut, commercial-free movies with a different movie genre showcased every day. Featured titles coming up on MoviePlex include: “The Fifth Element,” “Groundhog Day,” “The Karate Kid,” “Sleepless in Seattle,” “Seven Years in Tibet,” “Fried Green Tomatoes,” “The Scorpion King,” “Happy Gilmore” and “The Sixth Sense.”

"DISH Network customers have responded extremely well to our recent launch of movie channels like Starz’s IndiePlex and RetroPlex, so we’re proud to expand our relationship with Starz by introducing MoviePlex,” said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. "Plus, the addition of MoviePlex, Starz and Encore content to our on demand and DISHOnline.com selections will give our customers even more ways to enjoy their favorite TV shows and movies.”

“Starz is excited to broaden the distribution of our channels through not only DISH Network’s TV service, but also via its on demand and online platforms,” said Ed Huguez, executive vice president of Affiliate Sales and Marketing for Starz Entertainment. “The agreement deepens our business relationship with DISH Network for the benefit of its customers and expands the reach of our increasingly popular original programming and great movies.”

DISHOnline.com offers more than 150,000 popular movies, TV shows, clips and trailers into one easy-to-use interface. DISH Network customers have the ability to watch their live TV, all of their DVR recordings, and instantly view thousands of movies, TV shows, clips and more, all at no additional charge with their paid subscription and compatible equipment. Through a robust search engine, customers can browse for content by title, network, actor or genre.

About DISH Network
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ : DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides more than 14.2 million satellite TV customers, as of September 30, 2010, with the highest quality programming and technology at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy industry-leading customer satisfaction, the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

About Starz Entertainment
Starz Entertainment, LLC, is a premium movie and original programming entertainment service provider operating in the United States. The company offers 16 premium channels including the flagship Starz® and Encore® brands with approximately 17.3 million and 31.9 million subscribers respectively. Starz Entertainment airs in total more than 1,000 movies and original series every month across its pay TV channels. Starz Entertainment is recognized as a pay TV leader in providing HD, On Demand, HD On Demand and online advanced services for its Starz, Encore and MoviePlex brands. Starz Entertainment (www.starz.com) is an operating unit of Starz, LLC, which is a controlled subsidiary of Liberty Media Corporation and is attributed to the Liberty Starz tracking stock group (NASDAQ: LSTZA).

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Wayne

Wayne

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:49 AM

I've got Platinum with AT120HD and I'm not getting this channel. It's in red in my guide. Others that have AT200 and greater are getting MoviePlex.

#3 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:38 PM

Sweet! I'm always happy to have more HD content to watch!

#4 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

Which packages will this channel finally become available?.

I have it now in my AT250.

#5 OFFLINE   Grandpa Train

Grandpa Train

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:09 PM

What channel?

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,302 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

What channel?

MoviePlex is on 377. PixL is on 388.

#7 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

Sweet! I'm always happy to have more HD content to watch!

Unfortunately, MoviePlex isn't HD.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

I worked for a computer company... and usually I didn't get to see press releases or product announcements, even though I was a Tech Writer... because I was in engineering and the marketing dept ran their writings through another area.

Anyway, on the few times I did see something... I found that they were doing a lot of copy/paste for their press releases and product announcements, and clearly no one was ever really reading them because I found all kinds of stuff that it said the product would do that wasn't even close to being correct... I remember some people being embarrassed over it, but I don't think it changed the process for the better.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,302 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:26 PM

Online DISH has MoviePlex listed as AT250 ... we've had several reports of AT200 people getting it and Platinum HD people not getting it.

And no press release for PixL HD?

Seems normal. :rolleyes:

#10 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:45 PM

Encore channels are included in AT250, but MPlex is a Starz channel. Will it stay or is it only on preview?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,302 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:02 PM

Encore channels are included in AT250, but MPlex is a Starz channel. Will it stay or is it only on preview?

It isn't marked as a preview ... that is a special marking in the uplink data we track.
There is some new uplink data in the file that matches up with it being an AT250 channel (similar markings on 377 as on other AT250 channels). It is certainly not marked the same as the Platinum HD channels.

#12 OFFLINE   ruralruss

ruralruss

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

Movieplex would have been a great addition in HD because the content is good. PixL HD in Platinum makes no sense because the content is not so interesting.

#13 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

It isn't marked as a preview ... that is a special marking in the uplink data we track.
There is some new uplink data in the file that matches up with it being an AT250 channel (similar markings on 377 as on other AT250 channels). It is certainly not marked the same as the Platinum HD channels.

I have AT250 SD service and started to see Movieplex chan 377 show up on Wed Dec 1st. The quide was screwed up, listing the same programs as the Encore westerns only an hour later. The guide was correct as of Thursday morning. :)
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#14 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:19 AM

I have AT250 SD service and started to see Movieplex chan 377 show up on Wed Dec 1st. The quide was screwed up, listing the same programs as the Encore westerns only an hour later. The guide was correct as of Thursday morning. :)

The guide wasn't screwed up. That's exactly how MoviePlex works.

From the MoviePlex Wiki:

MoviePlex broadcasts various programming from Encore's theme channels 7 days a week with a different channel showcased each day.

The channels shown include:

Encore WAM (Sundays)
Encore Mystery (Mondays)
Encore Drama (Tuesdays and Saturdays)
Encore Westerns (Wednesdays)
Encore Action (Thursdays)
Encore Love (Fridays)

Programming on MoviePlex is shown on a one hour delay from its presentation on the Encore channel.

#15 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:52 AM

The guide wasn't screwed up. That's exactly how MoviePlex works.

From the MoviePlex Wiki:

Shoot! I thought I was getting something new. I already receive all those Encore channels. As it ends up, Movieplex nothing but repeats. :mad:
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#16 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:19 PM

Online DISH has MoviePlex listed as AT250 ... we've had several reports of AT200 people getting it and Platinum HD people not getting it.

And no press release for PixL HD?

Seems normal. :rolleyes:

It looks like Pixl just offers made for TV movies.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,302 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:39 PM

It looks like Pixl just offers made for TV movies.

I look at it as Hallmark Movie Channel II. It seems to be all "faith and family" films. Good to see it uncut and commercial free.

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,302 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:57 PM

Taken from DISH's HD page:
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1291427473
Note the three SD channels: movieplex, encore mystery and starz cinema.

It looks like the channels should be available to customers with AT250 (the usual package for Starz/Encore) or PlatinumHD.

It still seems silly to have SD channels in a HD bonus package ... perhaps they will become HD soon?

Attached Thumbnails

• grfx_08-101202.jpg

#19 OFFLINE   Deke Rivers

Deke Rivers

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:46 PM

PixL HD in Platinum makes no sense because the content is not so interesting.

you're telling me! I havent even heard of most of the movies on there and they all look to be like Lifetime type movies..what a waste of an HD channel

#20 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:54 PM

I noticed Saturday that MPlex was running the same movies that were on Encore Drama an hour or two earlier and in the same order.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...