Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Featureless R-15

single family home

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:51 AM

I've finally gotten the R-15 replacement for my failed DirecTiVo activated and I am truly disappointed in the lack of features. No closed captioning, no dual live buffers, no 30-second skip, extra cost RF remote. I'm sure I'll discover more.

This is a far more basic receiver than my failed TiVo based DVR. :(
When news breaks...we fix it.

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:08 AM

The only SD DVR worth messing with is the R22 unfortunately.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:31 AM

What kind of Dtivo did you have. Neither of my SD Dtivos, both series 2, included closed captioning or RF remotes, free or extra cost.

I will agree about the lack of a dual buffer, although there are workarounds. To play devil's advocate, the Dtivo doesn't offer a 90 minute buffer, which I have grown to appreciate recently. As far as the 30 second skip/slip, I did enjoy the 30 second skip however I don't find the 30 second slip too painful, I'm learning how many times I have to press it to FF through a commercial block and I have actually seen ads I want to go back and watch.

The R-15 also adds features that the Dtivo doesn't have such as caller ID and bookmarking.

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,570 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:57 PM

The R15 does indeed have closed captioning, just like old Tivo. Your TV must do the decoding though, since it's strictly Standard Definition.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:57 AM

Is skip-to-tick in fast forward something that can be enabled or is it also missing?

#6 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:30 AM

Is skip-to-tick in fast forward something that can be enabled or is it also missing?

Skip to tick is implemented with the R-15, it doesn't have to be enabled. Just hold down the fast forward button for a second or so and it will jump to the next tick. I was just playing with that yesterday and it worked very well.

#7 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:32 AM

The R15 does indeed have closed captioning, just like old Tivo. Your TV must do the decoding though, since it's strictly Standard Definition.

I suspect that we are differing on the way we speak about closed captioning. DirecTV does broadcast the closed captioning information, however you turn closed captioning on and off with the television NOT the receiver and the decoding is done by the television as you stated.

#8 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:15 PM

Skip to tick is implemented with the R-15, it doesn't have to be enabled. Just hold down the fast forward button for a second or so and it will jump to the next tick. I was just playing with that yesterday and it worked very well.

Thanks for the info. Tried using my HR20 method by going into fast forward then hitting the skip button. There are volumes of tips and tricks for the HD DVRs but I can't find one for the SD DVRs.

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,863 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:07 PM

There was an FAQ for the R15 written several years ago. However the feature set has pretty much remained static since then, so it (the FAQ) has not been updated. I'll see if I can find a link to it.

FAQ for R15 is here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ghlight=r15 faq

And some other info as well:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=57694

Edited by carl6, 07 December 2010 - 07:38 PM.

spam firewall