Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Complete signal loss on certain hd channels

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rcflyer55

rcflyer55

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

I switched to Dish Hd two years ago and have never had a problem with hd channels. During the ALCS baseball series I tried to watch the games in HD on Fox Sports Sw and my HD channel would always show "complete loss of signal". I called Dish and they gave me the same spill of checking certain stuff like the check switch. They determined that the problem was on my end. I have a VIP 622 DVR receiver. Tonight I noticed that it gave me the same message for signal loss on NFL Network HD. It looks like all my other HD channels are working fine. My dish is completely free of obstructions and everthing seems sound. All this seemed to start during the final weeks of the dispute between Fox and Dish, coincidence or not its really aggravating. Please help!!!!!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:01 PM

Your dish could be out of alignment, or not properly peaked... local weather conditions would then have a greater effect even if the weather seems mild.

You also could have wiring or switch or LNB issues.

There's a whole bunch of stuff to check... so you might need to have someone come out for a service call if you aren't able to check all of this stuff yourself.

It's even possible that the tuner in the DVR could be in the early stages of failure.

Do you have any other receivers or things that you can swap out with the problem receiver to help diagnose where the problem is creeping in?

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   rcflyer55

rcflyer55

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:05 PM

Im sure I need to check the alignment. It just seems weird that everything else works ok. Isnt there a way to look at my signal strength for the certain channel that doesnt work?

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:39 PM

Im sure I need to check the alignment. It just seems weird that everything else works ok. Isnt there a way to look at my signal strength for the certain channel that doesnt work?

Hit MENU, then 6, then 1, then 1 and it will take you to the signal strength screen for the transponder you're currently attempting to watch.

#5 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

I just had this happen over the last few weeks with a few channels intermittently. Only satellite 119 channels.

Satellite levels were good, but system info said I had the dreaded infamous LNB drift problem. Tech came out and replaced the LNB and ground block. All is good again.

And they happily charged me $90 to fix their problem. Great.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:23 PM

And they happily charged me $90 to fix their problem. Great.

The receivers are leased, the dish is yours. It is your problem. :)

#7 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

I thought the LNB Drift problem was a no charge call. They consider the LNB's leased.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#8 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 603 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:20 PM

I've noticed signal loss glitches the last couple of weeks (vip211 receivers). Up pops "signal has been lost"...channel up-down and the signal is there. It repeats the "signal has been lost" a couple of times...up-down, and eventually it locks. Software: L561RAGD-N.

spam firewall