Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help with Multiswitch

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   frontiercc

frontiercc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:50 AM

I currently have a 3x4 multiswitch feeding two standalone receivers and one DVR- so all 4 ports are used. I want to add another DVR and in fact picked up two used R10 units last night.

I don't anticipate moving to high def anytime soon as I am putting up an OTA antenna for Hi Def locals. I don't want to get into diplexers since I am only running high def to 1 tv and a dedicated new run is no problem at all.

Am I correct in that I have to upgrade my existing 3x4 multiswitch to a 3x8 multiswitch? Is there another simpler (Cheaper?) way?

If the 3x8 is the answer- any recommendations for brands or source?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:13 AM

This should do the trick for you...

http://www.solidsign...tiswitches&sku=

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:31 AM

I agree a WB68 maybe the best route, check ebay you might find better prices.

#4 OFFLINE   frontiercc

frontiercc

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:15 PM

So if I get this, do I need to terminate the unused inputs and outputs?

I have a dual LNB dish with two cables coming into the switch.

If buying used, do the switches go bad or are they pretty much bulletproof? (I'm thinking of ebay and what I need to watch for)

Also- the specs reference "Flexports can only be accessed with latest APG (Advanced Program Guide) satellite receivers. Earlier, non-APG satellite receivers can select the first 4 ports only (101/99/103/110/119W satellites)"

I need a total of 5 ports now and am concerned that I will only still have 4 ports available to my SD receivers.

Trying to read up on this thing, seems like serious overkill for feeding 5 receivers off of a dual lnb dish. I was thinking I could just upgrade my 3x4 to a generic 3x8 that supports satellite frequencies. Is there an advantage to going with a switch this complex?

Edited by frontiercc, 05 December 2010 - 01:21 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:37 PM

WB 6x8s commonly sell new on eBay for $20 to $25, including shipping. I've bought a couple dozen there in that price range from various sellers with no problems whatsoever. There is no reliable source for 3x8s that will sell for less than that.

Your primitive receivers can utilize any or all of the 8 output ports but only call for input signals from the first four input ports. That is all the functionality that those receivers need.

#6 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

I currently have a 3x4 multiswitch feeding two standalone receivers and one DVR- so all 4 ports are used. I want to add another DVR and in fact picked up two used R10 units last night.

I don't anticipate moving to high def anytime soon as I am putting up an OTA antenna for Hi Def locals. I don't want to get into diplexers since I am only running high def to 1 tv and a dedicated new run is no problem at all.

Am I correct in that I have to upgrade my existing 3x4 multiswitch to a 3x8 multiswitch? Is there another simpler (Cheaper?) way?

If the 3x8 is the answer- any recommendations for brands or source?

Thanks!

You can also cascade the 3x4. Run two of the four outputs to a second 3x4. This will give you six usable sat lines. This is "not supported" but works. Next up in price is the 3x8. Solid signal is as good as it gets. Shipping small parts really runs the costs so if you can find one locally you might consider it

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 05 December 2010 - 01:52 PM.
afterthought

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

I've got one you can have for $20 shipped. Send me a PM if interested.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#8 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

No terminators should be used on the WB68.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#9 OFFLINE   frontiercc

frontiercc

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

Wow- thanks for all the great info folks.

Just one more question- I see the input ports are labeled per voltage whereas my current setup there is no rhyme or reason to which input goes to which side of the lnb. How do I tell which input is which in terms of voltage.

And AltAntMike- who you calling primitive?

#10 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:16 PM

...AltAntMike- who you calling primitive?

Consider it a compliment. Studio guitarist Al Kooper's self-described "primitive" organ playing made for perfect accompanyment to Bob Dylan's primitive singing in the studio recording of "Like a Rolling Stone.":D

#11 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:54 PM

Wow- thanks for all the great info folks.

Just one more question- I see the input ports are labeled per voltage whereas my current setup there is no rhyme or reason to which input goes to which side of the lnb. How do I tell which input is which in terms of voltage.

And AltAntMike- who you calling primitive?

The voltages change...from the receiver...13v than 18v. For most purposes the lines are interchangeable. The round dish with the single LNB pointed at 101 with two lines out was the world beater of just a little while ago. Now considered primitive even though there are thousands of them out there...still ticking.

If you cascade multiswitches you should connect the 13 to the 13 & the 18 to the 18.

Joe

#12 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

...If you cascade multiswitches you should connect the 13 to the 13 & the 18 to the 18...

"Cascading" multiswitches, as the term is commonly used here, means, in this instance, connecting the satelite inputs from one 3x4 multiswitch directly to the LNB, and then using any two of that multiswitch's outputs as the two inputs into a second 3x4 multiswitch.

There aren't any dedicated 13 volt and 18 volt outputs on 3x4 multiswitches, nor are there any dedicated 13 volt or 18 volt outputs on the industry-standard dual LNBs. A dual LNB or a 3x4 multiswitch will source odd numbered transponders from any port when it perceives a control voltage of 13 volts, and will source even numbered transponders when it perceives a control voltage of 18 volts.

#13 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:28 PM

If you do decide to get the WB68 multiswitch, connect the two lines from your dish to the 13V no tone and the 18V no tone inputs on the multiswitch. It does not matter which coax goes to which input. Leave the other two (22KHz tone) inputs open and leave the flexport inputs open.

You then have 8 outputs you can use, all of which are functionally equal. Any unused output should be left open.

#14 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:59 PM

"Cascading" multiswitches, as the term is commonly used here, means, in this instance, connecting the satelite inputs from one 3x4 multiswitch directly to the LNB, and then using any two of that multiswitch's outputs as the two inputs into a second 3x4 multiswitch.

There aren't any dedicated 13 volt and 18 volt outputs on 3x4 multiswitches, nor are there any dedicated 13 volt or 18 volt outputs on the industry-standard dual LNBs. A dual LNB or a 3x4 multiswitch will source odd numbered transponders from any port when it perceives a control voltage of 13 volts, and will source even numbered transponders when it perceives a control voltage of 18 volts.

Thanks,

It has been awhile. Output equality is what the multiswitch does.

Joe

#15 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:27 AM

The voltages change...from the receiver...13v than 18v. For most purposes the lines are interchangeable. The round dish with the single LNB pointed at 101 with two lines out was the world beater of just a little while ago. Now considered primitive even though there are thousands of them out there...still ticking.

If you cascade multiswitches you should connect the 13 to the 13 & the 18 to the 18.

Joe

Thanks,

It has been awhile. Output equality is what the multiswitch does.

Joe

Unless you were thinking of "splitting" multiswitches at the time instead of "cascading" them. In which case your statement then is correct and very important to carefully observe. ;)

#16 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:52 AM

Unless you were thinking of "splitting" multiswitches at the time instead of "cascading" them. In which case your statement then is correct and very important to carefully observe. ;)

Yes, I've done that before...4x4s etc. This was just a brain fart.

Thanks...me mind is like a steel trap! (rusty however)

Joe

#17 OFFLINE   VARTV

VARTV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA, USA

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:25 AM

I'm glad I stumbled on this Thread... Help! I have a Zinwell WB68 filled up and would like to add just one more line. What's the easiest way to do it??? Cost is not a factor just the simpliest way...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

With DirecTV since October 2004. My complete setup on 1/1/2013...

#18 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:40 AM

If you only need the five main satellites, 99, 101, and 103, 110 and 119, then you can just get another WB68 for $20 to $25 on eBay and connect the second WB68's first four inputs to any of the first WB68's outputs, but if you also need the odd satellite for your locals or for foreign programming (I forget if it's 72.5 or 95: I think DirecTV got rid of one but not the other), then you'll also need a two-way high frequency splitter to split that odd satellite's downlead.

#19 OFFLINE   VARTV

VARTV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA, USA

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:54 AM

If you only need the five main satellites, 99, 101, and 103, 110 and 119, then you can just get another WB68 for $20 to $25 on eBay and connect the second WB68's first four inputs to any of the first WB68's outputs, but if you also need the odd satellite for your locals or for foreign programming (I forget if it's 72.5 or 95: I think DirecTV got rid of one but not the other), then you'll also need a two-way high frequency splitter to split that odd satellite's downlead.

I get programming from all 5 of those sats only...

And are you saying use 4 outputs on the old WB68 to feed the four inputs on the new WB68? If so, I guess this will give me 12 outputs...

I'm using the Sonora Power Inserter. Should it stay connected to the original WB68?

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

With DirecTV since October 2004. My complete setup on 1/1/2013...

#20 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:56 AM

Yep, keep the power inserter where it is.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...